Resources from Gathering Skills have become Really Expensive

Tierce

To me, as a crafter:

I see buying gathering mats on the GTN as a cheaper option than running the missions myself to get them. The "mission cost" is the upper bounds I place on them. I will *not* buy anything on the GTN that costs more than the average price I pay for them from gathering missions. (which from my tests, are *approximately* the default GTN prices for them... close enough anyways that I just go ahead and use that) My assumption is I'm going to pay the mission cost. If I happen to get them for less, (either harvesting myself, or buying cheaper off the GTN) then fine. The gathers get more money than they would dumping them on NPC's, I get them for less than I would get them from running missions.

My assumption is that the harvesting mats on the GTN are mainly from other crafters who have an excess of one type or another for whatever reason. (I know that's what *I* do with my excess. Any color crystals I get while adventuring get tossed up on the GTN. If one of my stashes of artifacts/power crystals gets lopsided by too much one way or another I'll throw the excess up.) They sell for the default price, I sell, we exchange excess.

Mission mats? Much less certain. I almost never buy blue mission mats on the GTN. My personal ceiling is still the same amount as for gathering mats. i.e. what it costs me to get the stuff myself from missions. My assumption is that people putting the stuff up for sale are either people who, for whatever reason, don't have any crafting professions, (they figure there's more money in the mats) and the buyers are people who picked up slicing (or possibly investigation) instead of whatever mission skill would give them the correct blue/purples, *or* are (since I'm UT) running the discovery missions, and getting a bunch of fabric they don't need, and thus divesting themselves of this extra via the GTN. Obviously, the people who only picked up the mission skills are selling to make a profit, so *obviously* aren't going to be selling at or below my price ceiling, since that would eliminate their profit. Those people running discovery missions and getting a bunch of fabric they don't want/need? Yeah, I can use their garbage. They get more for it than they would dumping it on a vendor, I get it for less than I would pay running missions. Deal to the benefit of all.

Edit: As for purple mats? I'll pick some up off the GTN if the price is reasonable vs. what I sell the product I make out of it for. But I also don't feel I have to try to keep purple stuff for sale at all times. If I happen to crit and get purple mats, great. I'll make something purple and put it up for sale.

As I believe nobody seems to have pointed out. There is no particular reason to pay somebody else x+whatever to get them for me when I can get them reliably myself, with no effort, for X.

Edited by GnatB

On my Imperial server I can sell Desh for ~80 credits per unit. Which is kind of insane given that I can run a 95 credit mission or harvest a few easy to find nodes/droids and get 3-6 of them...

Though on my republic server, the same material sells for ~3 credits per unit, which is unfortunate.

I don't have a problem with market prices for Mission Skill resources

I do. Getting purple Mission skill crafting materials, especially for low level purple items is insane sometimes. The drop rates in missions are painfully low and it makes the prices astronomical, essentially making crafting anything artifact quality before the 40s a complete waste of resources and time.

Edited by Sylriana

On my Imperial server I can sell Desh for ~80 credits per unit. Which is kind of insane given that I can run a 95 credit mission or harvest a few easy to find nodes/droids and get 3-6 of them...

Though on my republic server, the same material sells for ~3 credits per unit, which is unfortunate.

I do. Getting purple Mission skill crafting materials, especially for low level purple items is insane sometimes. The drop rates in missions are painfully low and it makes the prices astronomical, essentially making crafting anything artifact quality before the 40s a complete waste of resources and time.

which is why I only make purples at those levels using mats I happen to find myself. (90% of the time. Occasionally there's some cheapish fabrics for sale)

I have a friend who in the space of 2 weeks worth of market manipulation, was able to make over 700k credits. I can't do that, I'm not interested in running the market like he does, but when I go out gathering, every time I think I'm getting bored, I think of EvE and laugh my *** off. Then I go back to gathering and by the end of the day make 70k - 80k credits on about an hour's work (or less).

Too bad I spend it all on skills, recipies, crafting missions, and gear.

I disagree. Things should be more challenging.

Problem is ... at and game you have nowhere else to spend credits on AND they are very very very easy to acquire.

You give an example of gathering and selling and making 70-80K. At lvl 50 if you do a handful of dailies (in a group of three ppl will take 1h20min, incl travelling) you easily make abt 120k pure cash+extr from grey/green loot from mobs. + 3 purple mods/enhancements/armour plates. Each can be sold for 40-50k with ease, but even without that - that is a very stead, very easy to get cash. And .. you do not spend much of it. Sure, there are repair bills now and then but ... the income more than covers that.

So when ppl power level an alt/craft etc, they have lots of creds to spend on the mats thus we have prices going up.

doesnt seem like a problem tbh. There is so much money floating around in this game, if you have a hard time making it to buy purples for your crafting, then youre doin it wrong.

Now imagine You are a new player that just started his first toon :)

Well, no biggie. Gearing is easy in this game. You do NOT need a crafting prof for it.

1) Do 1-2 elesess runs with 1 friend. You will get armour + weapon from it. Even in case you do not - you will get commendations.

2) Use commendations (and they ARE easy to acqure) to get moddable gear from comm. vendor (lvl 14). Not hard at all.

3) Do not power level craft. lvl only gathering prof (like archeology, scavenging or bioanalysis...maybe slicing) that does not require you to send crewmembers to missions.

4) Exp is very easy to come by in the game so you will be lvl 20-25 in no time. If you did not spend money on power leveling crafting AND did some space missions - you will have abt 70k at least. My wife had 120k (biochem+bioanalysis+scavenging). But let us just lower that figure down a bit to above 70k. Enough to get speeder.

5) You are no longer lowlevel :D. The credit influx is better now so you can spend more for your char crewskills.

Trdr: We were all new players once. Due to availability of commendation vendors you can equip your toon in full blue armour/weapon with no effort. Money is not required.

And do not power level crafting :D

Edited by firesprite_ea

The prices of the mats have nothing to do with inflation. It has to do with the fact that not everybody can harvest the mats. If you have the gathering skill then likely you're also using the mats that you're getting.

This is good imo. High material costs means high product costs. Do you really want a market where everybody is grinding out tons of items and selling them at low costs? They can sell them at low costs, but that'll quickly run out and they'll need to go through the process of reaquiring the mats.

I set my stims at 25k each, and although there are people that will undercut me, it doesn't last for long, because eventually they'll run out of red goo. You can't keep selling stims at 12k forever. And if you're buying red goo for 2k each, you won't be selling the stims at 12k anymore.

So i don't see the problem. If you think the mats are too high a cost, then try making money from selling mats instead. But it probably won't last long, because mats aren't easy to come by in this game. Again, a good thing, it keeps the market from being deluded with a huge amount of items and everybody undercutting each other.

This entire argument, this mentality is the entirety of the problem with crafting.

reason prices are so high on mats is because there is not sufficient ways to gather them in bulk. for example. I sent out my companions on missions for 30minutes and they each came back with quantities of 2-7 each. I spent hours on voss trying to gather enough lvl 5 comps to make my biotech stuff and came back with <100 of the mats needed. Can i compare to another game? SWG...Harvesters. yes. harvesters please.

I'll put my prices as high as people will pay for them, if no one buys them then I drop the price next time. If people buy them then I raise and raise the price to see what I can get away with.

People are buying like 20 mats for 50K so I'll keep selling them at that.

Basically this. It's worth what people will pay.

As someone who took artifice, but not arch, I didn't see a real pricing problem until tier 5 and 6 stuff. On Kinrath Spider (an average pop server) 1k/piece is the norm.

I'm actually looking at picking up arch now as a result, and dropping treasure hunting which hasn't proven to be all that useful now that I'm about to ding 50. It was nice while leveling though.

Then you won't be buying mats off the GTN. You don't NEED to do it for crafting. Or the new player could make a killing by selling their mats on the GTN.

You people need to think 'outside the box' (really, has it come to telling people such simple things like if you want to make money as a new player you could sell your mats on the GTN).

Work with what you have instead of whining for changes.

The prices of the mats have nothing to do with inflation. It has to do with the fact that not everybody can harvest the mats. If you have the gathering skill then likely you're also using the mats that you're getting.

Inflation has everything to do with the prices of mats. People price the mats based on what they think their time spent gathering them is worth (plus any input costs) AND based on what the market is willing to pay. This is basic economics, prices will rise or fall to what people are willing to pay. If there is inflation, people will be willing to pay more because they can.

This is good imo. High material costs means high product costs. Do you really want a market where everybody is grinding out tons of items and selling them at low costs? They can sell them at low costs, but that'll quickly run out and they'll need to go through the process of reaquiring the mats.

So basically what you are saying is that the crafters add no value in the production process. If crafters do not add value in the production process, then everybody will just be selling mats, because crafting them into an item will actually destroy value. That's actually a real problem being seen now. There are a lot of people who enjoy crafting, and although it's not great in this game, they want to level it, RE stuff, advance their crafting skill and repertoire of items. They know they can't sell anything, but they enjoy crafting and want to be able to make stuff for their alts and guildmates. The lack of supply and difficulty to obtain Gathering resources is making these players go broke.

And yes, everybody should want a market where everybody is grinding out tons of items and selling them at low costs. A market with high supply is good for everybody.

I set my stims at 25k each, and although there are people that will undercut me, it doesn't last for long, because eventually they'll run out of red goo. You can't keep selling stims at 12k forever. And if you're buying red goo for 2k each, you won't be selling the stims at 12k anymore.

So i don't see the problem. If you think the mats are too high a cost, then try making money from selling mats instead. But it probably won't last long, because mats aren't easy to come by in this game. Again, a good thing, it keeps the market from being deluded with a huge amount of items and everybody undercutting each other.

You're just continuing to prove my point with these statements. The market value of these really junk quality resources is so high, that using them to craft destroys value. You are better off just selling your resources to other poor schmucks that want to enjoy crafting.

I spent around 100K on 120ish mutagenic pastes this past weekend. I'm already at 400/400/400 bio/bio/dip.

Saves me time on missions. Reallocates creds from said almost-random mission rewards to creds where I actually know what I'm getting. I've got the recipe for the best lvl 45 Operative implants I've ever seen. 15k ea implant, 25-30k if I score an augment slot. I can provide free upgrades to guild members, medpacks/armor adrenals before HardModes and still turn a decent profit at auction.

Works for me. Not sure what else I would do with credits at 50 in PvP gear except turn them into crafting mats, anyhow.

Your mileage may vary.

Edited by OldSwab