Resources from Gathering Skills have become Really Expensive

Tierce

On my server at least, pretty much anything from the second half of Tier 3 on up sells on the GTN for 3-10 times the acquisition cost of running the missions to get them. Bioanalysis is the worst of course, but Archaeology and Scavenging are not much better. It's normal to see tier 5 and 6 selling for 1,000 cpu on the GTN, and often as much as 2-5k cpu. Meanwhile, tier 5 and 6 Underworld Metals sell for 700 cpu consistently. This just seems out of whack to me. The fact that you CAN just get these for free out of the ground does not seem to factor into the market price at all. I'm curious to know what others are experiencing on their servers and what you think is the primary cause for these high prices if you are seeing the same thing as I am. Some causes I am perceiving:

1. There is too much inflation of credits from Space Missions, Daily Missions, PvP, etc. at Level 50.

2. It takes too long to go to planets and gather resources. It takes about 5-10 minutes just to get to your ship, fly to a planet, run through the airlocks/orbital station/spaceport then take a taxi to just get to the area where you can start gathering. There is too much opportunity cost with this time sink. You can run Ascendancy Barrier in this time and get ~20k credits or the 2 missions for another space daily in ~12 minutes and get the same payout.

3. There are not good concentrations of gathering nodes past about tier 3. Nar Shaddaa is about the last place that you will find nodes frequently close together. With the terrain of the higher level planets, there aren't even good loops you can make to do gathering.

4. Combining 2 and 3 together, the whole process of going out to a planet and trying to gather from nodes is extremely cumbersome, boring, and often fruitless.

Lastly, although this would cause further disparity between getting resources from missions and getting resources from manual gathering, I think that the yield from Missions is far too low, and that is a big factor in the high prices. These are green quality resources, the lowest quality of resources. I think that these should be available in much greater quantity and at much lower prices.

Just wait.

One of the flaws of the current system is the overuse of prototype and artifact level components in crafting recipes.

From a Dev post I read yesterday it appears that they are aware of the problem and are working towards correcting it along with some other aspects of crafting.

The problem appears to be related into how most MMO gamers view Blue and Purple items because of our years of brainwashing by the 800 lb gorilla. We now see those colors on items and automatically assume they have an increased value due to perceived rarity when in fact Blue prototype materials aren't rare at all.

The fact that schematics rely heavily on those items, even early on for common crafting recipes, makes it feel like leveling crafting is not only a losing proposition but extraordinarily difficult.

Hopefully they remove the requirements for Prototype and higher materials for common recipes, reduce the amount required or some combination thereof.

They've pretty much always been around that price on my server. And I wouldn't really expect that to change.

Part of the problem is that there isn't a very even use of materials. With both armormech and Cybertech, for example, the use of Zal Alloy exceeds or equals that of Durasteel. Maybe weapontech is the other way around, but, well, not many of those. So Zal Alloy is in higher demand. Meanwhile, for blue using recipes, usually half the Ciridium is used as Zal Alloy as well. And when you make a purple recipe, you still use Zal Alloy, but Ciridium gets replaced with Mandalorian Iron. So Zal Alloy gets used in greater or equal quantities for greens (which don't use UT metals at all), blues, and purples.

Additionally, I've also found that Scavenging missions are considerably rarer than UT missions as slicing critical rewards. This holds true across the board, actually. The Gathering mission drops are rarer than the Mission mission drops.

Edited by Battilea

I'll put my prices as high as people will pay for them, if no one buys them then I drop the price next time. If people buy them then I raise and raise the price to see what I can get away with.

People are buying like 20 mats for 50K so I'll keep selling them at that.

I've noticed the inflated prices.

I assume few, if any, are actually paying them, (with the exception of Biochem, as I assume there are still high level biochems trying to powerlevel their way into being able to use the reuseable stuff).

Only reason for the inflated prices is powerleveling. Only reason you would want to/are able to powerlevel is if you're already high level, and are THEN picking up a crew skill. Primary reason to do that is if there is some combat related perk that requires actually HAVING said crewskill. Such as BIS BoP items, or ones that are restricted to those that have the skill.

Remove the combat related perk(s), people will stop powerleveling, the prices will presumably drop to something reasonable, and crew skills will be useable for what they are intended to be used for. Selling stuff to make profitssss.

I assume few, if any, are actually paying them, (with the exception of Biochem, as I assume there are still high level biochems trying to powerlevel their way into being able to use the reuseable stuff).

Only reason for the inflated prices is powerleveling. Only reason you would want to/are able to powerlevel is if you're already high level, and are THEN picking up a crew skill. Primary reason to do that is if there is some combat related perk that requires actually HAVING said crewskill. Such as BIS BoP items, or ones that are restricted to those that have the skill.

Remove the combat related perk(s), people will stop powerleveling, the prices will presumably drop to something reasonable, and crew skills will be useable for what they are intended to be used for. Selling stuff to make profitssss.

If nobody is paying those prices, market forces would push prices down. Resource sellers want to sell their stuff, or else they would not bother to spend the time to list it on the GTN. They will not repetitively list resources at prices that nobody will pay. There was a time when I was selling stacks of 99 grade 1 color crystals for 25k on the GTN. I saw some other people listing them for this price and thought it was ridiculous, but one day I decided to try replicating it, and what do you know, the stack sold. I continued to list them at this price and sold several more stacks. After a couple weeks though, the stacks stopped selling, so I cut prices, cut prices, cut prices, eventually they sold at a much lower price. Like a poster above said, they list stacks at high prices and if it sells, they try to see if it will sell for more. Normal market forces are clearly in effect for determining what prices will be on the GTN.

Powerleveling crafting skills is definitely one of the reasons why demand is so high, but it's not the only reason. I don't even think there are that many players switching crew skills and powerleveling them. There are a lot more players keeping one crafting skill and spending a lot of resources REing to get schematics. REing is a far bigger resource sink and is a far greater component of the overall demand for gathered resources.

However, whether you agree with the above or not, I think lack of supply is the real reason why the market equilibrium prices have gotten so high. Players are going to switch crafting skills and powerlevel new ones, players are going to keep skills and RE lots of things to get new schematics, that's all fairly normal demand for these resources. The problem is that the supply is limited and much less than the demand, thus the prices are high.

Only reason for the inflated prices is powerleveling. Only reason you would want to/are able to powerlevel is if you're already high level, and are THEN picking up a crew skill.

QUOTE]

No, not really. I am about to hit a demand level on meds that I cannot keep up with. I will have no choice but to roll an alt to run missions or to buy from the gtn. I know the profit margins I am dealing with and I can afford to buy one or two item types off of the gtn at the inflated price and still make a workable profit.

The time cost of gathering is what forces the price up, which makes sense and is probably a good thing. If you want to invest the time to gather/run missions you can make money. Those who do not can buy.

Getting mats requires a long gathering process, probably on a planet lvl 50's have no purpose on, or it is constrained by crew missions, which take a long time and which you can run in a limited number.

Therefore, if you don't have the desire to go gather (I don't), or aren't logging on enough to run mission to pay for what you want to craft, then you buy it.

I don't see any problem with the current materials market. Reducing the resource requirements for consumable items might help though and bring stims/medpacks within the reach of non-biochems, thus reducing some of the QQ and evening the playing field.

"3. There are not good concentrations of gathering nodes past about tier 3. Nar Shaddaa is about the last place that you will find nodes frequently close together. With the terrain of the higher level planets, there aren't even good loops you can make to do gathering."

That isn't actually true you should do more research next time because I know for a fact that balmorra/belsavis/voss are decent for getting scavenging materials.

I've seen quite a few arch/bio nodes on belsavis as well...

WTH? Why?

my assumption? they need more money to leave the economy via sinks, and if you get more resources from harvesting droids and creatures, thats money thats not leaving the game, so theyre essentially forcing more users to send out missions.

doesnt seem like a problem tbh. There is so much money floating around in this game, if you have a hard time making it to buy purples for your crafting, then youre doin it wrong.

1. There is too much inflation of credits from Space Missions, Daily Missions, PvP, etc. at Level 50.

This I agree with. If a company is being responsible with their in game economy, they try to some to some sort of balance beween money faucets and sinks. SWTOR has too many faucets, not enough sinks.

2. It takes too long to go to planets and gather resources. It takes about 5-10 minutes just to get to your ship, fly to a planet, run through the airlocks/orbital station/spaceport then take a taxi to just get to the area where you can start gathering. There is too much opportunity cost with this time sink.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Play EvE online. You have no conception of what opportunity cost truly is until then.

3. There are not good concentrations of gathering nodes past about tier 3. Nar Shaddaa is about the last place that you will find nodes frequently close together. With the terrain of the higher level planets, there aren't even good loops you can make to do gathering.

I don't have a problem with scarcity. Scarcity creates value and makes things more interesting.

4. Combining 2 and 3 together, the whole process of going out to a planet and trying to gather from nodes is extremely cumbersome, boring, and often fruitless.

Again, play EvE online. Hell, people from EvE should come here and play. By applying an EvE work ethic (don't confuse 'work' with 'not fun') we feast at this kind of game. I have a friend who in the space of 2 weeks worth of market manipulation, was able to make over 700k credits. I can't do that, I'm not interested in running the market like he does, but when I go out gathering, every time I think I'm getting bored, I think of EvE and laugh my *** off. Then I go back to gathering and by the end of the day make 70k - 80k credits on about an hour's work (or less).

Too bad I spend it all on skills, recipies, crafting missions, and gear.

Lastly, although this would cause further disparity between getting resources from missions and getting resources from manual gathering, I think that the yield from Missions is far too low, and that is a big factor in the high prices. These are green quality resources, the lowest quality of resources. I think that these should be available in much greater quantity and at much lower prices.

I disagree. Things should be more challenging.

On my server at least, pretty much anything from the second half of Tier 3 on up sells on the GTN for 3-10 times the acquisition cost of running the missions to get them.

Do you think people will just sell for what they got them? They put in the time, they reap the benefits. If you don't want to gather the mats yourself you pay for the convenience of getting them instantly of the GTN.

The fact that you CAN just get these for free out of the ground does not seem to factor into the market price at all.

Then do that...if you want the convenience of not having to that, you pay the premium.

2. It takes too long to go to planets and gather resources. It takes about 5-10 minutes just to get to your ship, fly to a planet, run through the airlocks/orbital station/spaceport then take a taxi to just get to the area where you can start gathering. There is too much opportunity cost with this time sink. You can run Ascendancy Barrier in this time and get ~20k credits or the 2 missions for another space daily in ~12 minutes and get the same payout.

Wonderful reasons to just pay me to gather them for you ;)

Again, you want the convenience you pay for it...

Lucky for you...you don't have to! You can purchase them on the market!

I think the quanity is good. I produces a solid economy for mats. Full time crafters needs lots of mats and it's impossible for them to gather them all so the need mat sellers to feed the system.

It's a great experiment in capitalism. Prices will only go as high as people will pay. If you think the prices are too high you can get them via other means, however if you find it more convenient to buy..you will. I love the current system and am having a great time supplying Underworld Metals.

Maybe the abundance of credits from exploits is starting to kick in.

Didn't people say that prices would continue to creep up because all the people that exploited paid high prices because they could just exploit and get more.

Then there is the fact that creds are thrown at you at high levels.

Its not uncommon for me to spend 150,000 a day reverse engineering items to end up with no schematics so I just repeat the process the next day.

I have spent approx 600K+ over the last few days and its extremely to farm it back.

"3. There are not good concentrations of gathering nodes past about tier 3. Nar Shaddaa is about the last place that you will find nodes frequently close together. With the terrain of the higher level planets, there aren't even good loops you can make to do gathering."

That isn't actually true you should do more research next time because I know for a fact that balmorra/belsavis/voss are decent for getting scavenging materials.

I've seen quite a few arch/bio nodes on belsavis as well...

I'm making this statement from an Empire perspective, so there are areas with lots of nodes clustered together on Dromund Kaas, Balmorra, and Nar Shaddaa. That takes you through the first half of tier 3 for us. Past that, it's really spread out. There are some small clusters on Tatooine, Alderaan, Taris, Quesh, Belsavis, and Voss, but these are a lot smaller than what was on earlier planets, and each of these smaller clusters are pretty far apart.

Bottom line, it takes a lot longer to gather a stack of resources on these planets, to the extent that it is more cost and time efficient to just send your companions on missions for these resources while you do other activities that can cover the cost of these missions and then some and/or that are just fun for you.

Do you think people will just sell for what they got them? They put in the time, they reap the benefits. If you don't want to gather the mats yourself you pay for the convenience of getting them instantly of the GTN.

Then do that...if you want the convenience of not having to that, you pay the premium.

Wonderful reasons to just pay me to gather them for you ;)

Again, you want the convenience you pay for it...

Lucky for you...you don't have to! You can purchase them on the market!

I think the quanity is good. I produces a solid economy for mats. Full time crafters needs lots of mats and it's impossible for them to gather them all so the need mat sellers to feed the system.

It's a great experiment in capitalism. Prices will only go as high as people will pay. If you think the prices are too high you can get them via other means, however if you find it more convenient to buy..you will. I love the current system and am having a great time supplying Underworld Metals.

Please, don't troll, I never said I expected anyone to sell resources for less than acquisition cost or that they did not deserve to be compensated for their time. I'm arguing that the factors involved in determining the market price per unit of gathered resource do not seem right. If you are truly a seller of Underworld Metals, I would think you specifically would see the disparity that is growing with this drastic inflation of Gathering resource (i.e. Archaeology) prices as compared to gradual deflation of Mission resource (i.e. Underworld Trading) prices.

You need to understand that my argument is with the market price per unit. I don't think resource sellers should be short-changed for their time spent or fixed costs in gathering resources. I think that the yields they get from their time spent gathering resources should be higher. So hypothetically, instead of you spending 1 hour to get 1 x99 stack of resources to sell for 50k credits, that 1 hour should yield 2, 3, maybe even 5 x99 stacks of resources that you would sell for that same 50k credits.

I am also arguing that the amount of easy credits out there from running daily missions and doing other activities is too high. This is the opportunity cost of you spending time gathering instead doing these activities, and is probably the biggest factor in determining what you want to charge for 1 hour's worth of gathered resources, because it's also how buyers determine how much they are willing to pay for 1 hour's worth of gathered resources.

I have always thought that running missions for Gathering resources was intended to be a last resort convenience mechanic. If you didn't want to spend time gathering and couldn't find resources that you needed on the GTN, you would send your companions out on Missions because you were lazy. I expected the cost/price (including opportunity cost) of obtaining resources from different sources would be like this:

Manual Gathering < GTN < Gathering Crew Missions

instead, what I am seeing is this

Gathering Crew Missions < Manual Gathering < GTN

Please, don't troll, I never said I expected anyone to sell resources for less than acquisition cost or that they did not deserve to be compensated for their time. I'm arguing that the factors involved in determining the market price per unit of gathered resource do not seem right. If you are truly a seller of Underworld Metals, I would think you specifically would see the disparity that is growing with this drastic inflation of Gathering resource (i.e. Archaeology) prices as compared to gradual deflation of Mission resource (i.e. Underworld Trading) prices.

You need to understand that my argument is with the market price per unit. I don't think resource sellers should be short-changed for their time spent or fixed costs in gathering resources. I think that the yields they get from their time spent gathering resources should be higher. So hypothetically, instead of you spending 1 hour to get 1 x99 stack of resources to sell for 50k credits, that 1 hour should yield 2, 3, maybe even 5 x99 stacks of resources that you would sell for that same 50k credits.

I am also arguing that the amount of easy credits out there from running daily missions and doing other activities is too high. This is the opportunity cost of you spending time gathering instead doing these activities, and is probably the biggest factor in determining what you want to charge for 1 hour's worth of gathered resources, because it's also how buyers determine how much they are willing to pay for 1 hour's worth of gathered resources.

I have always thought that running missions for Gathering resources was intended to be a last resort convenience mechanic. If you didn't want to spend time gathering and couldn't find resources that you needed on the GTN, you would send your companions out on Missions because you were lazy. I expected the cost/price (including opportunity cost) of obtaining resources from different sources would be like this:

Maybe it's different as you level up. I have Treasure Hunting and Underworld Trading on a new toon I created on a new server for me. I'm selling stacks of ten Terenthium(Grade 1 metal) for 3k a piece which is a great profit for a level 10-20 character. Really depends on server too. The other server I play on has a horrible market for most mats as a whole.

I wasn't tryign to troll at all, but you made all these arguments about how much of a pain it is to gather materials, and how it's such a time suck, but you started the OP by saying that "pretty much anything from the second half of Tier 3 on up sells on the GTN for 3-10 times the acquisition cost of running the missions to get them". It makes sense that they are sold high if they are such a pain to gather. I think it's a great system.

Maybe it's different as you level up. I have Treasure Hunting and Underworld Trading on a new toon I created on a new server for me. I'm selling stacks of ten Terenthium(Grade 1 metal) for 3k a piece which is a great profit for a level 10-20 character. Really depends on server too. The other server I play on has a horrible market for most mats as a whole.

I wasn't tryign to troll at all, but you made all these arguments about how much of a pain it is to gather materials, and how it's such a time suck, but you started the OP by saying that "pretty much anything from the second half of Tier 3 on up sells on the GTN for 3-10 times the acquisition cost of running the missions to get them". It makes sense that they are sold high if they are such a pain to gather. I think it's a great system.

crafting in this game is a HUGE waste of credits and time. I think that is primary to everyones point. Either to gather, sell, or make an item that someone might buy. Waste of time. Utter and total waste of time and money.

let me say again. I've wasted my time crafting. I get absolutely zero from it. That is bioware's crafting. Nothing.

I get zero benefit by engaging in it. I get no value.

Hopefully if we say it enough they might read it and say. We'd better fix this.

I've never been this annoyed with something in a game. Crafting sucks. Thanks for making me feel ripped off.

crafting in this game is a HUGE waste of credits and time. I think that is primary to everyones point. Either to gather, sell, or make an item that someone might buy. Waste of time. Utter and total waste of time and money.

let me say again. I've wasted my time crafting. I get absolutely zero from it. That is bioware's crafting. Nothing.

I get zero benefit by engaging in it. I get no value.

Hopefully if we say it enough they might read it and say. We'd better fix this.

I've never been this annoyed with something in a game. Crafting sucks. Thanks for making me feel ripped off.

I get it isn't strong enough end game yet, but I enjoy the meta game. Buying, selling, bulk pricing...I enjoy it. That's why I do it. I don't care if I can't get a couple extra points over endgame gear, I enjoy the process.

Basically if it angers you so much, just simply don't do it. There's a lot of things to do, just find one you like more.

God, i want to move to the OPs server... I have 2 crafters, 1 cyber, 1 artifice, and for each toon I have literally 5 or 6 stacks each of mats of the green and blue varieties, whereas i can only seem to get lucky enough to get 2 or 3 individual items of the purple variety (corsuca gems or mando iron) Which sell for over 10k each on the GTN.

I wish i could sell my scavenging and archeology mats for more than about 20 cpu, and i wish i could buy the purple crafting mats for only 700 cpu. I would be in heaven.

I think this is a simple RNG problem. Some servers will be like the OPs, some will be like mine. They just need to normalize the RNG a little bit to make mats acquisition more consistent instead of completely random.

Edited by Voydangel

So you are saying a UT mission for 600 credits that yield 3 Mullinane, that those 3 units should be sold for 200 a piece? You realize most retail [precious metals] are marked up 300%? Do the math, the prices are not unreasonable at a 300% mark up. You also have to consider a player's time is worth something. For many, their time is priceless, so to put a price on a player's time is kind of ludicrous but necessary when factoring in a market price. That said, a player's time varies by a player's discresion.

For me, I normally sell T1 for 300 T2 500 T3 750 T4 1000 T5 5000 T6 7500 a piece respectively

God, i want to move to the OPs server... I have 2 crafters, 1 cyber, 1 artifice, and for each toon I have literally 5 or 6 stacks each of mats of the green and blue varieties, whereas i can only seem to get lucky enough to get 2 or 3 individual items of the purple variety (corsuca gems or mando iron) Which sell for over 10k each on the GTN.

I wish i could sell my scavenging and archeology mats for more than about 20 cpu, and i wish i could buy the purple crafting mats for only 700 cpu. I would be in heaven.

I think this is a simple RNG problem. Some servers will be like the OPs, some will be like mine. They just need to normalize the RNG a little bit to make mats acquisition more consistent instead of completely random.

I may have typed the wrong thing earlier, but I was meaning to say that Ciridium and (Grade 6 Prototype Underworld Metals) sell for about 700-1k cpu on my server, which is right around the mission acquisition cost. Artifact (purple) Underworld Metals sell for much more and are similar to the prices you state for your server. People have tons of the Prototype (blues) that they want to sell just to try to cover all the mission costs of trying to get Artifact (purples) like Mando Iron.

The part that is getting crazy to me is how inflated the price of Premium (green) resources from Gathering skills has gotten. Tier 5 and 6 Premium Arch/Scavenging/Bio are frequently priced more per unit than same tier Prototype Underworld Metals. I actually would kill to be on your server if those gathering resources can in fact be purchased for 20 cpu.

So you are saying a UT mission for 600 credits that yield 3 Mullinane, that those 3 units should be sold for 200 a piece? You realize most retail [precious metals] are marked up 300%? Do the math, the prices are not unreasonable at a 300% mark up. You also have to consider a player's time is worth something. For many, their time is priceless, so to put a price on a player's time is kind of ludicrous but necessary when factoring in a market price. That said, a player's time varies by a player's discresion.

For me, I normally sell T1 for 300 T2 500 T3 750 T4 1000 T5 5000 T6 7500 a piece respectively

I'm talking about Gathering skill resources, not Mission skill resources. I know it's confusing because you can still run missions for Gathering skill resources, but to clarify for purpose of this discussion

Gathering Skill = Archaeology, Scavenging, Bioanalysis

Mission Skill = Underworld Trading, Treasure Hunting, Diplomacy, Investigation

I don't have a problem with market prices for Mission Skill resources, nor the cost of the missions, nor the yields from Mission skill missions (except the fact that Grade 6 Rich Yield UT are actually mis-labeled Moderate Yield and All Grade 6 Companion Gifts missions cost more than Grade 5 Companion Gifts missions, yet still only yield Grade 5 gifts, but this is all a whole other discussion).

The prices of the mats have nothing to do with inflation. It has to do with the fact that not everybody can harvest the mats. If you have the gathering skill then likely you're also using the mats that you're getting.

This is good imo. High material costs means high product costs. Do you really want a market where everybody is grinding out tons of items and selling them at low costs? They can sell them at low costs, but that'll quickly run out and they'll need to go through the process of reaquiring the mats.

I set my stims at 25k each, and although there are people that will undercut me, it doesn't last for long, because eventually they'll run out of red goo. You can't keep selling stims at 12k forever. And if you're buying red goo for 2k each, you won't be selling the stims at 12k anymore.

So i don't see the problem. If you think the mats are too high a cost, then try making money from selling mats instead. But it probably won't last long, because mats aren't easy to come by in this game. Again, a good thing, it keeps the market from being deluded with a huge amount of items and everybody undercutting each other.