Gimme addons NAOW!

ExaWood

TBH I am quite happy about the Add-On Free environment atm.

On WoW I was/am a Add-On Junky and loved being able to customise my UI etc.

Just the fact that, as a Guild, it's back to basics and having to work out the Boss Mechanics and work out how to overcome them as a team together makes it refreshing after seven years of DBM etc. putting you on auto-pilot for most content.

Healing Add-Ons take all the fun and skill out of the job. Why would you do that?

DPS meters just lead to Trolling in /1. and don't get me started on Gearscore :mad: which ruined WotLK.

All I would really like is a fully customisable UI like Rift did out of the box (Scaling would have been nice at least) and hopefully starting in the announced upcoming improvements SWTOR is moving that way.

But saying that it's a higher priority for me that they take and already good game Iron out the bugs and make it the great game it can be. Before it gets broken by badly coded worthless add-ons really.

Most of the good WoW add-ons were stolen by Blizz and implemented in game (badly in most cases) and people still whined about it.

Awaiting the incoming hate.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Which encounters have been trivialized pre-nerf in WoW through addons? I hear these blanket statements all the time that addons make WoW the easest MMO ever created. A blind monkey with no hands could beat WoW with addons. Really? Cuz I highly doubt you there one of the world first at anything and have completed all the content in that game pre-nerf to a raid.

Have you ever done the PP HM fight in ICC in 10man without the use of any addon and turning off the 15% buff as an 80 in 80 level gear? Then with only using DMB, tell us how that suddenly makes that fight trivial. It's still a challenge with the addon.

I dont raid, pretty sure i said that. Trying reading again. You're a bit defensive and if you look at what i was saying you'd see im FOR addons, not against them.

Which encounters have been trivialized pre-nerf in WoW through addons? I hear these blanket statements all the time that addons make WoW the easest MMO ever created. A blind monkey with no hands could beat WoW with addons. Really? Cuz I highly doubt you there one of the world first at anything and have completed all the content in that game pre-nerf to a raid.

Have you ever done the PP HM fight in ICC in 10man without the use of any addon and turning off the 15% buff as an 80 in 80 level gear? Then with only using DMB, tell us how that suddenly makes that fight trivial. It's still a challenge with the addon.

I never said it made the fights trivial, I said that the addons were required. I quite WoW before LK but did all BC content up to w/e the one was that they released after BT. Probably most of the fights could be done without addons, but the only ones to complete would be few.

My favorite fight was Archimonde and if I remember right, it didn't require any addons. Vashj was also fun, but I can't remember if the addons were needed.

So... painfully... true.

I too can't wait for APIs for UI add-ons. But as Stephen said, they want to rework the UI so that it's completely capable in its vanilla state. So expect an add-on API or process to be very much a back-burner item. And when it is released, don't expect a ton of hooks all at once.

The thing about add-ons is, they can STILL make the default UI's completely capable. They can just do that in parallel with customization developers tailoring UIs to smaller groups' desires.

Stephen's argument is bunk.

TBH I am quite happy about the Add-On Free environment atm.

On WoW I was/am a Add-On Junky and loved being able to customise my UI etc.

Just the fact that, as a Guild, it's back to basics and having to work out the Boss Mechanics and work out how to overcome them as a team together makes it refreshing after seven years of DBM etc. putting you on auto-pilot for most content.

Healing Add-Ons take all the fun and skill out of the job. Why would you do that?

DPS meters just lead to Trolling in /1. and don't get me started on Gearscore :mad: which ruined WotLK.

All I would really like is a fully customisable UI like Rift did out of the box (Scaling would have been nice at least) and hopefully starting in the announced upcoming improvements SWTOR is moving that way.

But saying that it's a higher priority for me that they take and already good game Iron out the bugs and make it the great game it can be. Before it gets broken by badly coded worthless add-ons really.

Most of the good WoW add-ons were stolen by Blizz and implemented in game (badly in most cases) and people still whined about it.

Awaiting the incoming hate.

hehe.. you ever did Soa? "Lightning ball on Random player!".. dbm is already in mate! ^^

But yeah, there's surely addons we dont need, like heal bots etc, but there's definately hundreds of others we could need. Freedom of customisation!

I want to make this game my own!

There really is no reason to not have addons its a choice to use them, not forced on players. I used a few in wow mostly power auras just so i didnt have to stare at my bars during pvp. You cant deny that focus frames and cooldown notifications dont help (at least in pvp). As far as pve goes i really could care less i never raid but i see how some addons trivialize encounters.

Actually, they are eventually forced on players that want to compete and be successful. They are a slippery slope. For example in WOW Add-Ons were just simple tools to make life a little easier when WOW was first released. Then as time went by Aggro Meters, HealBot, Boss Add-Ons, and other stuff were developed and now they are cheats, plain and simple. Why should anyone know the exact point a NPC is going to attack you? Is telepathy a general skill that should be incorporated to every player in a MMO? Why should anyone be able to perform certain attacks/skills without even having to click the corresponding button command?

It's now to the point that Blizzard has to make Raids harder because of the stupid Add-Ons!!! Add-Ons ruin MMOs, plain and simple.

Edited by PolishTank

I never said it made the fights trivial, I said that the addons were required. I quite WoW before LK but did all BC content up to w/e the one was that they released after BT. Probably most of the fights could be done without addons, but the only ones to complete would be few.

My favorite fight was Archimonde and if I remember right, it didn't require any addons. Vashj was also fun, but I can't remember if the addons were needed.

Part of the reason these addons were needed is because the fights become more complex. There's just a lot more going on in some of the WoW encounters than the SWTOR encounters.

Take EV for eample other than Soa you have every little going on in a fight outside of 1 major mechanic going on at a time.

Take ICC for example most of the fights have several mechanics occurring at near the same times. It isn't just LK that has several things going on at once.

So? You addicted to your easy-mode or something? What's wrong with making content harder?

You missed my point completely...

I'm not fearing harder content... I welcome it. I just don't want the encounters to be reliant on third party code.

You missed my point completely...

I'm not fearing harder content... I welcome it. I just don't want the encounters to be reliant on third party code.

Why not? Why not allow the community to get involved with helping make the game better? What you think BioWare is the only place to find talented programmers who also are gamers?

Actually, they are eventually forced on players that want to compete and be successful. They are a slippery slope. For example in WOW Add-Ons were just simple tools to make life a little easier when WOW was first released. Then as time went by Aggro Meters, HealBot, Boss Add-Ons, and other stuff were developed and now they are cheats, plain and simple. Why should you know the exact point a NPC is going to attack you? Is telepathy a general skill that should be incorporated to every player in a MMO? Why should you be able to perform certain attacks/skills without even having to click the corresponding button command?

It's now to the point that Blizzard has to make Raids harder because of the stupid Add-Ons!!! Add-Ons ruin MMOs, plain and simple.

Wow... Wow... Wow...

But think for a second that it's possible to limit the possibilities. There's TONS of addons that never would have made any difference to the game, but it would make tons of difference for the player.

I'll never interfer with your game or your requests as long as it doesn't change or bother me or my game, now stop messing with mine and my requests!

Why not? Why not allow the community to get involved with helping make the game better? What you think BioWare is the only place to find talented programmers who also are gamers?

"Why not?" is the balance of the fights. These fights are not being developed for addons in mind. A fight is released, then addons are released to further dumb them down.

There are creative ways to work around UI implementation using boss mechanics. One idea for replacing threat meters would be to have the boss use a secondary attack on second threat.

Actually, they are eventually forced on players that want to compete and be successful. They are a slippery slope. For example in WOW Add-Ons were just simple tools to make life a little easier when WOW was first released. Then as time went by Aggro Meters, HealBot, Boss Add-Ons, and other stuff were developed and now they are cheats, plain and simple. Why should anyone know the exact point a NPC is going to attack you? Is telepathy a general skill that should be incorporated to every player in a MMO? Why should anyone be able to perform certain attacks/skills without even having to click the corresponding button command?

Blizzard also took addons (like power auras) and just implemented them directly into the game. Thats how ingrained they became. I can see how you say you become "forced" to use them but you could always shut them off.

Like i said, i pvp thats all i want them for. I wish so much i had some power auras in this game, i get screwed over staring at my bars instead of having a nice hud to see the battlefield.

"Why not?" is the balance of the fights. These fights are not being developed for addons in mind. A fight is released, then addons are released to further dumb them down.

There are creative ways to work around UI implementation using boss mechanics. One idea for replacing threat meters would be to have the boss use a secondary attack on second threat.

Threat meters, healbot, deadly boss mods and dps meters... I can live well without any of them. But give me all the other fluff please!

Wow... Wow... Wow...

But think for a second that it's possible to limit the possibilities. There's TONS of addons that never would have made any difference to the game, but it would make tons of difference for the player.

I'll never interfer with your game or your requests as long as it doesn't change or bother me or my game, now stop messing with mine and my requests!

If Bioware goes forward with your request for 3rd Party Add-On support, it effects me and everyone else who plays this game because it is giving you a play advantage over everyone else that doesn't use them. You want to cheat, and are upset that Bioware doesn't support your cheating habits. I'm hoping they never do.

If Bioware goes forward with your request for 3rd Party Add-On support, it effects me and everyone else who plays this game because it is giving you a play advantage over everyone else that doesn't use them. You want to cheat, and are upset that Bioware doesn't support your cheating habits. I'm hoping they never do.

rage posts inc?

this.

LOL addons help you "cheat". What a shortsided statement. Sir please leave the thread its obvious you are not qualified to talk about addons in any way shape or form.

Blizzard also took addons (like power auras) and just implemented them directly into the game. Thats how ingrained they became. I can see how you say you become "forced" to use them but you could always shut them off.

Like i said, i pvp thats all i want them for. I wish so much i had some power auras in this game, i get screwed over staring at my bars instead of having a nice hud to see the battlefield.

I can't argue with you that certain aspects of the UI needs work. And I'm not saying all Add-Ons are cheats. Any status support that Bioware could work in to the UI so I don't have to stare at the stupid bars all day I would fully support as well.

The problem comes in to giving support to 3rd party Add-Ons to solve the issue, and how they create a severely unbalanced game. Everyone's efforts should be focused on petitioning Bioware to incorporate additional features into the game UI, rather than 3rd Party Add-On support.

Edited by PolishTank

hahaha

you really know what you're talking about, dont you ^^

Now tell me how as an example me being able to have raid invites ingame in my guild would affect you or your game?

Then tell me how me being able to customize my ui with new graphics would give me an advantage?

When you're done with that, then please tell me how me having a gear changing addon would affect your game?

The list goes on and on..

Stop the hate, learn the love!

The point is to make the game better, if you think it's perfect the way it is, then that's good for you! No need for you to worry then. In my book it's hugely lacking in many terms and I'd like addons to make the game the way I like it.

I can't argue with you that certain aspects of the UI needs work. And I'm not saying all Add-Ons are cheats. Any status support that Bioware could work in to the UI so I don't have to stare at the stupid bars all day I would fully support as well.

The problem comes in to giving support to 3rd party Add-Ons to solve the issue, and how they create a severely unbalanced game. Everyone's efforts should be focused on petitioning Blizzard to incorporate additional features into the game UI, rather than 3rd Party Add-On support.

Im sure any developer with a brain can go through the code of an addon and see if its actually exploiting game code. However simple addons that show cooldowns and procs are not the type of addon that can execute commands for you or as the cool kids say "IT PLAYZ DUH GAME FOUR YOU HERR DURR".