Global Cooldown Nausea/Headache Possible Quick Fix

Vhaegrant

My main is a level 50 Powertech.

Since the 1.1.2 patch and change to the global cooldown indicator I have been suffering from nausea (motion sickness) and prolonged play induces a migraine like headache.

I have linked this to the pulse that occurs on the ability box after GCD has finished.

With all 2 bottom bars full and the two side bars nearly full (only 3 slots free on left bar and 5 on right bar) this constant pulse every 1.5 secs in combat situations was very close to a strobe effect.

I reshuffled my core abilities all down to the two bottom bars and removed the side bars completely.

Also, my previous eye focus point used to be on my characters shoulders, now I try to focus on the lower legs which brings the bottom bars out of the lower peripheral vision.

While not ideal as it does mean some rare situational combat abilities have been removed it has resulted in nausea/headache free play for me.

Edited by Vhaegrant

I have been getting dizzy playing. I will try this OP but I still dont know if everything can fit on my bottom two bars. when you hide a bar does it become unusable or can i still use a bind on it? Edited by gryhmr

I'm not seeing this issue. All of my bars are full as well but what mechanic exactly are you referring to that causes motion sickness? To me, the new GCD effect is an improvement. :o

I'm happy for you then, please feel free to ignore my post.

However, for quite a few players, myself included, the global cooldown change in 1.1.2, specifically the pulse at the end of GCD, had caused a photosensitive reaction.

For the last two days I had been unable to enjoy SWTOR and having picked up my Teddy from the corner I sat down and thought about what I could do to reduce peripheral distraction from the ui. This was the result, and it appears to work for me. Not sure about other people though, and it does not address some of the issues others have raised over how to tell when some abilities were ready before GCD was over.

As always YMMV.

Greetings everyone!

Since this is such a popular topic and we want to keep feedback consolidated, we ask that if you have feedback in relation to the topic of the New Ability Cooldown effect that is NOT related to the suggestion made in this thread, that you please continue your discussion in one of the following threads:

Poll: What do you think about the new changes made to global cooldown UI in 1.1.2?

New Ability Bar Cooldown effect

You can also look up the latest information regarding this topic in our Developer Tracker, which lists the latest posts from developers, as well as our Community Managers and Coordinators.

We look forward to your feedback! :)

Edited by Ellvaan

My main is a level 50 Powertech.

Since the 1.1.2 patch and change to the global cooldown indicator I have been suffering from nausea (motion sickness) and prolonged play induces a migraine like headache.

I have linked this to the pulse that occurs on the ability box after GCD has finished.

With all 2 bottom bars full and the two side bars nearly full (only 3 slots free on left bar and 5 on right bar) this coinstant pulse every 1.5 secs in combat situations was very close to a strobe effect.

I reshuffled my core abilities all down to the two bottom bars and removed the side bars completely.

Also, my previous eye focus point used to be on my characters shoulders, now I try to focus on the lower legs which brings the bottom bars out of the lower peripheral vision.

While not ideal as it does mean some rare situational combat abilities have been removed it has resulted in nausea/headache free play for me.

I have to try that : I had been in recent time gotten so many headaches and nausea I stopped playing. I was not sure why I was getting sick, and since i stopped SWTOR playing I went again to healthy (while still playing otehr MMO like DDO). Maybe I have the same problem as you, and will try reshuffling positioning stuff.

I forgot that even though the side bars are closed you still have reasonably quick access to them through the little bar selector to the far right of the bottom bars. This means I can stick some abilities, stims and vehicles on these bars and have them to hand with just an extra click.

Have gone back and completed a few more dailies at Belsavis on my BH with no ill effects, and just to try out the new GCD scheme went and slaughtered a few natives of Quesh with my 40th level Marauder (once the side bars had been removed of course). Still no nausea or headache and it actually allowed me to see the change to the GCD a bit better.

Aside from the brief pulse/flash at the end of the GCD cycle it appears that it is just a high contrast version of what went before.

I actually have no issue with the shadow, the thick line or the bright blue overlay. Having no problem seeing what is available ability wise for my Powertech or Marauder.

Overall, I hope hiding the sidebars helps people who were suffering like I was and in the long run the pulse/flash is removed so I can get my side bars back up.

Also, it would be nice to have a high contrast/ low contrast GCD timer option. Maybe even the option to place all four ability bars at the bottom of the screen.

Edited by Vhaegrant