forums need to go

Kripplin

yea i said it. I think any online gaming company that has a forum for discussions about the game are doing so at their own risk. the way people's attitudes are these days as soon as they have a way to broadcast their rage to everyone they do so. this is causing games to not have a chance, for others to view and read these rants and agree on things that they shouldnt. there should only be a forum where players can post their suggestions or issues but it can't be read by all players just the developing company. until gaming company's realize that forums fester and cause a pollution of the population there is always going to be posts about how the devs have made a fail game, or is failing.

this is a tread that started 12 years ago, i have not seen 1 company develop a game in this time and not have a majority of the posts in their forums not be akin to flaming the company.

just let the fan boys have their websites and open their own public forums to discuss game topics, the developing company shouldn't provide this feature it only leads to rants.

I agree. I know a few people that had concerns about ToR after visiting the forums. They gave it a try and like it. I am really getting sick of the complaints* here.

* = I should say, everybody can complain, but I am sick of the "OMG feature X that is in WoW and Rift is not in this game, if you do not add it in 12 hours and 40 minutes, I will cancel!!!" or the people that complain endlessly about maintenance.

Edited by Nighthawked

Here's the thing... in today's connected and social landscape, this discussion will be going on somewhere, no matter what. A developer sticking their head in the sand and pretending it isn't is worse. It's smart to host the discussion in your own backyard where you can engage with your customers.

Keep in mind, many of the complaints have been directly tied to important patches and fixes. It does help.

And besides, the forums represent a tiny fraction of players and most that come here only do so to complain, as in most areas of customer service. Very rarely do consumers show up to give praise, whether it's to a server at a restaurant they just ate at or a video game forum.

Nothing to worry about.

i hate to say this, but i totally agree...too many haters out there these days that you cant please, and they will push to no end to spread there hateful opinions to as many people as they can.

i just dont understand why people need to post there rage on forums. can we as players do anything about it? NO!. so a suggestion box should be more then sufficient as you suggest.

in retrospect, ive always kinda seen this kind of mindset in society in the past 15 years, people need to complain about things in life that are just short of perfect, then yet they still complain, i just dont get it..

Official forums give Bioware control over the primary forums for the game. They can lock them down during times of high negativity (like downtimes), close posts, 'consolidate' threads into a single unreadable unthreaded quagmire post, warn/ban users, etc.

Because they're the 'official' forums, they're the first port of call, and therefore anyone setting up an 'unofficial' forum wouldn't get much traffic. If there were no official forums, there would be several 'unofficial' ones fighting it out to become the top dog, and eventually everyone would flock to the 'main' unofficial forum in the same way as they did to the official ones. Only this time, Bioware would have no control, no way of answering threads unless they joined too, and what limited interations there are would have to be third hand.

Forums are fine, if you can't take negative views about your favorite game then don't read it.

Or just avoid the internet altogether, I'm forced to wonder how you can handle any site with any sort of user discussion if it's this big a deal for you.

LOLOLOL sadly I have to almost agree w/op. I only come to the forums while at work cause it's amusing and I'm bored. And what's even funnier, I've seen more productive post on MMO-champion (a WOW site) about swtor then here. lol Edited by WarheartZero

Forums are fine, if you can't take negative views about your favorite game then don't read it.

Or just avoid the internet altogether, I'm forced to wonder how you can handle any site with any sort of user discussion if it's this big a deal for you.

point proven, you sir just trolled a thread about whether forums should be public or private. what did you gain from your post?

this^^

point proven, you sir just trolled a thread about whether forums should be public or private. what did you gain from your post?

What do you gain from yours?

An inflated sense of superiority over those who disagree with you (they must be trolls, they don't share my views!) who's views you feel are less important then yours.

No random poster you are the troll.

LOLOL it is funny. You almost know when you post a thread like this to return every few mins and read the post from the types that OP mentioned lol.

This is gonna get amusing fast. Assuming thread isn't closed lol.

Edited by WarheartZero

So basically you're saying people cant make up their own minds about a game..

If a game is good, its good, and no amount of forum reading will change my mind.

If forums influence you that much, i would personally avoid them, as oppossed to taking them away from everyone else.

Edited by Tic-

Blizzard

Valve

Bioware (prior to the EA acquisition)

Black Isle Studios

Obsidian Entertainment

All companies that have had current (or previous in Bioware's case) success with their online community.

The thing is that there is an increasing amount of hostility, misinformation and douchebaggery

on game forums over the past few years and seems to have no end in sight. This isn't just about having issues with the game, whats been going on goes way beyond that. Its one thing to have issues and wish to discuss them and quite another to crap all over people who want to talk about the positives of the game without being slammed.

I know some look at some of the threads here or elsewhere and go " Its just another spoiled kid" but thats not the case its adults acting like children because they can get away with it.

I would also like to say that since there are issues with the use of the word Troll that the use of Fanboi or Fanboy be treated in the same manner.

I for one would love to see server forums implemented but its getting to the point where i would prefer to see the forums shut down and replaced with blogs and maybe some manner of suggestion/bug forum.

Avoiding official forums because of the negative posts...? What a silly and appalling concept. Someone, please open a window and let some of the wrong out of the room.

People have already made some very good points about the forums' benefits. I would add that the forums actually do provide an enormous amount of value for me as a player. Though the rage bubbles most visibly to the surface, buried underneath is a treasure trove of information about the game -- and hardly a day goes by when I don't ask Lord Google something about SWTOR and find a tidy answer tucked away right here on the forums.

That's not to say that I disagree with you that a LOT of negative, generally pointless, ranting and soapboxing happens on these forums. It does. There's a lot of haters hanging around, stirring up the crowd, shouting angry nonsense, and writing copious amounts of dramatic love/hate letters to the devs about why they're quitting the game for good this week.

My point is that closing the forums because of all those negative vibes would be ultimately detrimental to the entire community -- not only to the would-be ranters, but also (and especially) to the good community members here who actually ask intelligent questions, provide helpful answers, suggest thoughtful ideas for improvements, engage in challenging discourse, and generally think before they post.

...not to mention the whole ethical implications of trying to control the thoughts, feelings, and ideas players are allowed to share, which is a bit too totalitarian for my personal tastes, anyway. But to each his own, OP -- you go enjoy your tea with Mussolini.

Avoiding official forums because of the negative posts...? What a silly and appalling concept. Someone, please open a window and let some of the wrong out of the room.

People have already made some very good points about the forums' benefits. I would add that the forums actually do provide an enormous amount of value for me as a player. Though the rage bubbles most visibly to the surface, buried underneath is a treasure trove of information about the game -- and hardly a day goes by when I don't ask Lord Google something about SWTOR and find a tidy answer tucked away right here on the forums.

That's not to say that I disagree with you that a LOT of negative, generally pointless, ranting and soapboxing happens on these forums. It does. There's a lot of haters hanging around, stirring up the crowd, shouting angry nonsense, and writing copious amounts of dramatic love/hate letters to the devs about why they're quitting the game for good this week.

My point is that closing the forums because of all those negative vibes would be ultimately detrimental to the entire community -- not only to the would-be ranters, but also (and especially) to the good community members here who actually ask intelligent questions, provide helpful answers, suggest thoughtful ideas for improvements, engage in challenging discourse, and generally think before they post.

...not to mention the whole ethical implications of trying to control the thoughts, feelings, and ideas players are allowed to share, which is a bit too totalitarian for my personal tastes, anyway. But to each his own, OP -- you go enjoy your tea with Mussolini.

THIS x 1000

infact no this times the amount i get huttball as a choice when i Q for a warzone

yea i said it. I think any online gaming company that has a forum for discussions about the game are doing so at their own risk. the way people's attitudes are these days as soon as they have a way to broadcast their rage to everyone they do so. this is causing games to not have a chance, for others to view and read these rants and agree on things that they shouldnt. there should only be a forum where players can post their suggestions or issues but it can't be read by all players just the developing company. until gaming company's realize that forums fester and cause a pollution of the population there is always going to be posts about how the devs have made a fail game, or is failing.

this is a tread that started 12 years ago, i have not seen 1 company develop a game in this time and not have a majority of the posts in their forums not be akin to flaming the company.

just let the fan boys have their websites and open their own public forums to discuss game topics, the developing company shouldn't provide this feature it only leads to rants.

If you're so annoyed about the official forums, why read them at all? No one is twisting your arm to read and more importantly POST on these forums.

If you want to give them feedback, write them an email. Problem solved. No need to go to official boards.

What I think you're trying to do here is to troll those who voice their dislike towards this product.

I dont agree. Forums shape MMOs and help show trends that players want and having problems with. Metrics can only do so much and math does not always give the answer. There is a human side to games that only forums can address. Edited by Nanfoodle

You will always see/hear more complaints then praises.

WHen people are content, they usually dont voice their praises... they just continue to live their lives and go on with their business (playing a great game).

People who have complaints wanna voice their complaints... otherwise, whats the use of having a complaint.. if you cant voice it to someone...

So you'll hear WAAAY more complaining then praises... be it about games, work, movies, relations or bunnies.

way of life...

read between the lines, draw your own conclusions from your own experiences and dont let anyone make up your mind for you.