Upcoming patch - for Ilum again

dronepilot

I noticed that they are bringing the servers down again, to address an Ilum problem ?

This patch will resolve the following:

Killing players on Ilum will now consistently grant Valor and mission credit as intended.

Does this actually encourage the continuation of Valor trade killing - and ganging on players to continuously farm valor from them ? It seems to me YES, because even on re spawn, you can still be re killed and more valor gained every time, with out limit ? With faction imbalance, this is probably going to make it 10 times worse, with mostly Republic players being farmed for Valor in this way on Ilum.

My thoughts is, this patch addresses nothing, and only continues to feed the same problems, many players have complained about for a while now, to the extent some even left the game.

Please, your welcome to add your thoughts on this, but don't flame me, or post troll comments. This is a genuine concern.

Without killing player i can do my daily only at 8-9 a.m. since otherwise there will be like 20-40 other players farming crates.

Best solution is to scrap illum pvp and start over with new design for open world pvp

Edited by cosmov

No, there was an issue with Valor not being awarded when it should be, ie the kill didn't register. You had to either die or relog for it to start working.

What annoys me is I joined an ops last night, we killed some Reps, I got zero kills. I moaned a bit about it in /ops and was told "we'd already killed them a few times". Great. I hadn't killed them before but because my ops did I get no Valor.

To the poster above: fps has been improved greatly. I now get 30fps in Ilum during fights. Thats up from 5-18. Granted if you have a lower spec rig it would be below 30. Now if only they'd sort the quest update freeze....

Edited by Moosimoo

I really just wish they would fix the fps/lag on this supposed pvp world.

I don't have any problem playing there at all. Sure, I'm having much lower fps there than any other place. But 20fps during big battles is playable.

If your fps is still to low after the fps increase fix, your computer isnt good enough for ilum.

Edited by Senaria

I don't have any problem playing there at all. Sure, I'm having much lower fps there than any other place. But 20fps during big battles is playable.

Your the only one in the history of SWTOR that gets 20fps during 30vs30 battles then, grats...

Your the only one in the history of SWTOR that gets 20fps during 30vs30 battles then, grats...

How about the post right before me?

My rig:

i7 2600k

8gb dd3 @ 1600mhz

XFX AMD HD 5870 (which isnt even that good)

Edited by Senaria

AMD 1090T (6 core)

8GB RAM

SSD HDD with SWTOR on it

2x GTX 470

1920x1080 with high on all except shadows that are off and AA that is off.

24Mbit cable connection

I get 5-7 FPS on Ilum in a big fight. In a world situation while questing alone I have 110ish FPS.

The interresting thing is that if I move into first person view and look down on the ground thus minimizing any graphical push on my cards i still get 5-7 FPS.

Looking at my PC performance numbers when in Ilum im running my CPU at very very low workload (10-15%ish) my GFX cards are running at very low load to and temperatures are down from 80ish degrees (when questing in the world) to 50ish.

My RAM is not utilized above 25ish % and my conenction is not pushed hard at all so to me it looks like the issue is not a lack of power from my PC but some other type of issue

//Kamasuthra

What did they do to make kills start counting again, reverse the changes? Has kill trading resumed on servers where it was happening? Or have they managed to fix the "valor exploit" without breaking things (seems unlikely). Edited by Jargonaut

No, there was an issue with Valor not being awarded when it should be, ie the kill didn't register. You had to either die or relog for it to start working.

What annoys me is I joined an ops last night, we killed some Reps, I got zero kills. I moaned a bit about it in /ops and was told "we'd already killed them a few times". Great. I hadn't killed them before but because my ops did I get no Valor.

To the poster above: fps has been improved greatly. I now get 30fps in Ilum during fights. Thats up from 5-18. Granted if you have a lower spec rig it would be below 30. Now if only they'd sort the quest update freeze....

^ This. To the OP, nothing is actually being changed, just fixed.

Any objections you have against Ilum, valid or invalid, will stay the same :)

All this is, is fixing the problem, where you would kill players and they would not award valor and not count towards your daily/weekly kill count.

Intel i7-2600K @ 4.1 GHz

16GB 1600 DDR3 RAM

NVIDIA 590 GTX SLI

256GB SSD

50 MBit Down/5 Mbit Up

Last night, we (Republic) had 24 players at Ilum. The Empire had 17-18 (at first). We had the obvious advantage in the beginning, chasing them around, they chasing us around, and generally going back and forth. Then the force lighting and AOE spam came out. They banded together to lag us out and half the Republic (including myself) were literal sitting ducks for the Empire. It was so epic at first, but then after the lagfest, it was pretty clear that it was hopeless to continue.

It's one thing to lose a battle because we're not as coordinated or have less people. It's another to get lagged out and come back to see 2/3 of your team dead. It's obvious from my specs it's neither my machine nor my connection. If my machine lags out, think about people with lower specs.

Edited by KilmarFyrewynd

IMHO concerning Ilum:

1) Make the Objectives, and therefore the "control" of Ilum, the primary focus, with corresponding rewards, buffs, etc. (maybe even faction-specific, globally)

2) Remove the "kill" mission requirements. Kills, and their rewards, should be a byproduct of the struggle for control of the Objectives.

This would drastically reduce "trading kills," the camping of the faction spawn-points, and give some meaning to the control of Ilum.

Also, either enable the Mercenary Commendation mechanics, or remove these commendations from the game. They serve absolutely no purpose at this point.

^ This. To the OP, nothing is actually being changed, just fixed.

Any objections you have against Ilum, valid or invalid, will stay the same :)

All this is, is fixing the problem, where you would kill players and they would not award valor and not count towards your daily/weekly kill count.

In that case it really confirms what I believe. This basically un does any recent changes - probably reverting it back to "how it was". It leaves this exploit open for valor farming and kill trading for Valor. Basically the patch is not resolving the issue of people doing this sort of activity, or camping and killing and re killing re spawning players. With this reverted to continuous valor, there is really nothing to stop the exploiting of it either.

In that case it really confirms what I believe. This basically un does any recent changes - probably reverting it back to "how it was". It leaves this exploit open for valor farming and kill trading for Valor. Basically the patch is not resolving the issue of people doing this sort of activity, or camping and killing and re killing re spawning players. With this reverted to continuous valor, there is really nothing to stop the exploiting of it either.

Bad PvP developers are Bad.

There's a reason that Warhammer Online is down to 2 servers.

Great job Devs...you really are some of the best (at wasting a crap ton of money).