OK...I admit it...I'm not good...so I'll ask for help

Stoofa

OK, basics here.

I've been playing since the beginning - so really I've got no excuses as to why I'm pretty dire in-game.

I have a Level 50 Juggernaut who has completed her story.

I got through the story without too much hassle. I had a couple of battles where I needed the help of a "Tame Commando" but otherwise we got through.

So I hit thw wonderful world of Ilu last night, thought I'd start these daily PvE quests to get me some commendations and this is where I found that I really wasn't great.

Strong 50's werre causing me hassle. Two of them at the same time and that really was a problem.

Basically I felt out of my depth and I know it will be down to choices I've made and fundemental mistakes.

So hands-up...I don't know what I'm doing and I'll request some help :)

So I'm a Level 50 Juggernaut and folloed mainly the Defense Tree (left hand one).

The majorty of my armour is currently Orange and I've got high-level armour enhancements in each.

I've gone for Strength over Endurance on each of these...is that the best way?

With regards mods, again it's Strength over Endurance and I believe the 3rd stat is Power.

Enhancements are all over the place and I know this is major error number 1.

So which Enhancements should I be consentrating on getting my hands on?

I believe Shield Rating, Shield Absorb are important - so can anyone tell me the names of the Enhancements I should be looking for?

With regards companions Jaesa is most often out and I KNOW I need to improve her armour and weapons. I guess that could be making a lot of difference to things if she was perfromming at her best?

Basically I like the single-saber look and I want to be competant at PvE. I'm pretty sure I have my overall play tactics right. I don't just mash the keys etc.

It's just I seem to be dying at a hell of a rate :-)

So...please help the "nood 50" and tell me stuff - even the absolute basics that I may have glossed over. Feel free to be abusive...I NEED to learn this stuff to make my playing experience a lot more fun and certainly not "make credtis>die>make credits>die - find I've actually made a loss on the evening due to all the repairs!"

Thanks all.

From the sounds of it this may be a more of a gear problem than a tatics problem. As for the enhancement question you asked if you are doing defensive look grabbing Immunity 22 ( has high defense and shield rating) will do well for you. If your hurting on credits and just want to get some easier gear to fill out where you are weak. Id suggest do your daily PVP tasks now that you are 50. Even if you dont love pvp a few pieces of the War Leader Champion gear will go a long way in helping your gear and survival rates. You get a champion bag for the daily and there is a weekly as well that gives more than that and you have the commendations you get for doing it. I think it may be the fastest way to get the gear up dramatically. Also if you are finding you are being killed alot you may want to look into swapping out of the might gear for the guardian gear. The boost in hitpoints will not be insignificant. Especially if you focused on STR over Endur. I would also suggest you look at Jesae's gear if you like using her make sure she is topped off and she should be putting out enough dps that if you defensive in pve you should not have any major problems. Also if credits are tight when you go to get the gear dont forget you can pull mods and stuff out of the purple gear pieces so you could buy gear from the pvp or other vendors and pull out to fill in where may need it on your orange if you having problems getting better quality enhancements.

I will start by saying I haven't reached 50 yet but I have learned a few things as I've leveled. If you are going the Tank route Endurance before Strength always. As a Tank your job is to survive not to do damage. Either your companion or DPS team member will take care of that.

Secondly you asked if gearing your companion help. YES! When I first got Jeasa I wasn't upgrading her gear and she started dying an awful lot as I got to my high 30's. So I jumped over to the GTN and bought appropriate lvl green stuff and suddenly she was surviving the fights because her DPS increased significantly. I just got her orange top and pants and it's been even better.

Lastly I found this guide online and it's a great resource for us Immortal Jugs.

SWTOR Immortal Defense Tanking Guide

Good luck slaughtering your enemies.

I will start by saying I haven't reached 50 yet but I have learned a few things as I've leveled. If you are going the Tank route Endurance before Strength always. As a Tank your job is to survive not to do damage. Either your companion or DPS team member will take care of that.

Secondly you asked if gearing your companion help. YES! When I first got Jeasa I wasn't upgrading her gear and she started dying an awful lot as I got to my high 30's. So I jumped over to the GTN and bought appropriate lvl green stuff and suddenly she was surviving the fights because her DPS increased significantly. I just got her orange top and pants and it's been even better.

Lastly I found this guide online and it's a great resource for us Immortal Jugs.

SWTOR Immortal Defense Tanking Guide

Good luck slaughtering your enemies.

Whilst you aren't wrong. You aren't right either. A tanks job is to do damage and take it, not in equal measure but no damage, no threat. You can afford to balance str to endurance, but you may be better specc'ing vengeance until you can farm a good tank set. However, read below:

Bets bet, is to get on the AH and just buy the bits you need, ears/implants, + whatever else you can afford, i had 600k+ when i hit 50 with my mara and 400k+ with my assassin, so i just bought what i needed on my marauder, and being honest, best decision i made with that toon. Secondly, forget Ilum, **** hits hard, its aimed at people who are geared. Someone will probably try and tell me im wrong, but why else would belsavis dailies be so much easier?

Which nicely brings me to my next point, get yourself to belsavis for the dailies there, i'm not entirely sure how you trigger them, but you receive a mail and it asks you to go there. Those are very easy by comparison as everythign doesn't hit as hard. You also get mroe tokens for doing all the dailies there than on Ilum. Its a no brainer, atleast to begin with. Now about your companion... You should have him/her/it mediocre geared. 40 - 49 gear is usually cheap and i decked my companion out to the tune of 50k as i switched to one i hadnt touched at 50, not brilliant but then hey, all i need quinn to do is heal.

Money, at 50, money is no object, i use mine for repairs and thats it, i spent 300k for the first time in about a month, all my gear i got out of HM's/Ops and once you make the initial deposit for your starter gear so you can survive these places, you can forget about it. Basically the question is, Shiny mount or good gear? If you are failing at dailies and missions the answer should be obvious. Hopefully this will help.

So...please help the "nood 50"

Well there's your problem....put some clothes on man. :D

On a more serious note, look into changing out some of your mods and such. Take a bit more endurance. The added HP's are nothing to scoff at. Make sure Jaesa is up to date. And I would look into some crit/surge too.

http://www.torhead.com/item/donBywo/daily-commendation#comments

Read the comments section there. One week of dailies will almost completely gear you. Between the mods (Enhancements, Armoring and Mods), the 100k+ credits a day and the daily comms allowing you to buy rank 23 armoring and hilts you'll be set.

What orange pieces you don't mod up you can buy using that 100k+ you make in cash. All but three can be soloed (those three give 1 mod type as a reward, each)

Edited by Mazikeen

I'm a fairly new tank myself and I've found that the Immortal tree is, for lack of a better term, garbage. I thought it was my playstyle at first, but I didn't understand how I could be so ineffective while following a standard spec and rotation.

One of my fellow guildies shared this Vengeance based build that I'm using and it's extremely effective.

Here's the build - http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#101dMG0uZhGr0rhzdMM.1

Notable abilities you lose from the Immortal tree:

Crushing Blow - Hard hitting instant attack that applies 3 stacks of armor reduction, 15s CD

Force Grip - Instant Force Choke (not effective on champion/boss mobs)

Shield Spec - 4% shield chance

Backhand - 4 second stun, 60s CD (not effective on champion/boss mobs)

Sonic Barrier - Pathetic excuse for a proc'ed shield

Notable abilities you gain from the Vengeance tree:

Unyielding - 4 rage gained from stun/sleep/knockdown

Unstoppable - 20% dmg reduction + control/interrupt immunity for 4sec after using Force Charge

Ruin - Smash costs no rage

Huddle - 4% Endurance + 20% dmg reduction after using Intercede

Deafening Defense - 4% all-around dmg reduction and decreases CD of Intimidating Roar by 15sec

Impale - Hard hitting instant attack with a bleed effect (CD reduced to 9sec from Vengeance - clearly better than Crushing Blow)

Vengeance - Reduces the CD of Impale by 6sec and Force Scream by 3sec

This build is awesome for doing dailies and I can tank flashpoints and normal mode operations better than I could before.

Edited by Karmalyse

The first thing I noticed when I hit Ilum on my first toon, was the bar there is set a bit higher, as it should be. There are less room for errors during fights and it just seems the silvers there just refuse to die.

As for dailies, unless that 8 or so you get on Ilum is absolutely a necessity, I would just skip them for the time being. The Belsavis ones are much faster and easier and you get double the daily marks for half the time. (If you have altitis like me, this makes a huge difference.)

If you still insist on Ilum dailies, the main thing I would suggest is to just use Quinn. Turn off all of his dps abilities so he is forced to use a heal when the cooldowns refresh (technically, I suppose you could use the ship bot if you have the robot gear already in the bank). My juggernaut uses a dps spec to level and I use Quinn all the time...after nearly hitting 30, I have yet to have to use my "rest" ability, it's just a continuous loop of charging and destroying.

I know a lot of people refuse to use Quinn, and that's cool. Here is my philosophy on that: Juggernauts don't have to worry about a "mana" bar like a lot of other classes do. If my health is up, I can continue to smash. 0 downtime = much faster dailies/leveling.

If you are fully epic modded/armored from Belsavis, Ilum really shouldn't be that difficult with your medic companion out. I realize using Jeasa or whomever is more alluring than Quinn, but hey, it's just the Ilum dailies...you can use whatever companion you wish doing other things.

I agree with poster above. It's all about gearing Quinn up. I have him in full craftable/ HM epics (I'm in full Columi DPS gear) and even when pulling two elite lvl 50 mobs at the same time my health will never go below 50%. His stun CC works wonders as well.

Comparatively with Broonmark, who is in full Columi/Champion PVP tank gear, will usually go down after the first elite and then I solo 90% of the second leaving me with about 50 % HP but with a companion to rez and reheal.

I've been to a lot of website and I can tell you that I have yet to find one that talks about Juggernauts in Operations or Flash Points.

I have done every Flash Point on Hard Mode and every boss fight in Operations on Hard Mode. I have done it all.

The class needs fixed and I have posted this in other forums on this site hoping someone in R and D will find them and read what I have wrote.

Notes on PvP, dailies, and flash points.

There are 4 working dailies on Ilum, 16 on Belsavis, and one in space (More to come in upcoming patch). You earn about 26 commendations each day and after 4 days you can buy Rakata Implants or Ear Pieces with them. They are the best in the game and besides spending 400-500k on EACH one on the Galactic Market this is the only way to get them.

Gear from doing PvP is the best starting out and easier to obtain since you get commendations in every bag. Champion gear is the best gear till you start building your Columi and Rakata gear. Modifiable gear is nice, but not as good.

(Before Tuesday Patch you would open 15 bags (no joke) to get yet another relic.)

(Orange gear is some of the best gear IF YOU RIP the champion or Columi mods out and put them in. I just knew if I didn't put this in here some dirty Nerf herding Troll would say something.)

You should pick Endurance over Strength every time as a tank and pick Strength over Endurance if you are DPS. IF and ONLY if you have items that have a augment slot tanks should augment for absorption (40%is the max before the diminishing returns) and DPS should go with Strength.

Some of you will say that you need Endurance as a tank in a augment slot and Power as a DPS since we are force users. You are wrong and I will explain.

For tanks it is easier on the healer and the party if you take 40% LESS damage than taking the full amount all the time. Our gear till Columi and Rakata lacks it.

(Operational tanks, first off let me hug you and tell you I feel your pain. slot for this.)

Defense 25% > Shield Absorption 40% > Endurance > Strength > Accuracy

For DPS Power only adds to damage, but Strength adds to Damage AND crit, so go with Strength.

IF I SEE A SITH WARRIOR RUNNING AROUND WITH A POWER CRYSTAL INSTEAD OF A CRIT CRYSTAL I AM TAKING YOUR LIGHT SABER AWAY TILL YOU SAY YOU'RE SORRY TO ALL THE HEALERS!!

It will be a pain to keep aggro on group fights it will be a pain to kite bosses since we have one range attack, but fear not!! I have herd that they are fixing us in Patch 1.2

I just hope they talk to a Operational Tank before making it solid. Cause I'm tired of reading the non-sense from Juggernauts that start there Paragraph with I haven't been a Level 50 that long..... If you haven't been one that long then don't give advice.

IF YOU NEED ME FOR ANYTHING!! send me a post or find me in Sith Wyrm on Imperial Fleet holding up a cardboard sign that reads

"I wanted to tank till Bioware thought my AOE attacks should only hit 5 people so I shot myself in the knee with an arrow"

Thanks all for the replies.

I've started the process of gaining Daily Commendations so I can firstly get that Guardian 22 armour in each of the Oragne pieces I have.

One that is done I'll be saving for the implants and ear piece.

I've seen so many suggestions on the "advanced skill routes".

If PvE makes up a lot of your time - is there a particular route to take?

There seems to be a lot of "perfect builds for PvP" - but not so many pointers for teh PvE people :)

Thanks again.

I've been to a lot of website and I can tell you that I have yet to find one that talks about Juggernauts in Operations or Flash Points.

I have done every Flash Point on Hard Mode and every boss fight in Operations on Hard Mode. I have done it all.

The class needs fixed and I have posted this in other forums on this site hoping someone in R and D will find them and read what I have wrote.

You should pick Endurance over Strength every time as a tank and pick Strength over Endurance if you are DPS. IF and ONLY if you have items that have a augment slot tanks should augment for absorption (40%is the max before the diminishing returns) and DPS should go with Strength.

Some of you will say that you need Endurance as a tank in a augment slot and Power as a DPS since we are force users. You are wrong and I will explain.

For tanks it is easier on the healer and the party if you take 40% LESS damage than taking the full amount all the time. Our gear till Columi and Rakata lacks it.

(Operational tanks, first off let me hug you and tell you I feel your pain. slot for this.)

Defense 25% > Shield Absorption 40% > Endurance > Strength > Accuracy

For DPS Power only adds to damage, but Strength adds to Damage AND crit, so go with Strength.

IF I SEE A SITH WARRIOR RUNNING AROUND WITH A POWER CRYSTAL INSTEAD OF A CRIT CRYSTAL I AM TAKING YOUR LIGHT SABER AWAY TILL YOU SAY YOU'RE SORRY TO ALL THE HEALERS!!

It will be a pain to keep aggro on group fights it will be a pain to kite bosses since we have one range attack, but fear not!! I have herd that they are fixing us in Patch 1.2

I just hope they talk to a Operational Tank before making it solid. Cause I'm tired of reading the non-sense from Juggernauts that start there Paragraph with I haven't been a Level 50 that long..... If you haven't been one that long then don't give advice.

IF YOU NEED ME FOR ANYTHING!! send me a post or find me in Sith Wyrm on Imperial Fleet holding up a cardboard sign that reads

"I wanted to tank till Bioware thought my AOE attacks should only hit 5 people so I shot myself in the knee with an arrow"

Seems like good advice overall. Im curious tho, why a crit crystal over a power crystal? Since alot of threat seems tied into damage wouldn't +power give more reliable threat generation? (think i remember reading power effects sonic shields too, but no idea if thats true)

Where do the the other "tank stats" start to notice diminishing returns? (def and shield chance)