Did anyone else have a sudden turning point?

Hildegaaard

Have been loving the game so far, but last night for the first time I began to get bored.

It was when landing on Alderran for the first time (lev 31 trooper, have 2 alts in low 20s). Normally a new planet is exciting. But I was in a bad mood already because I'd just done a Warzone and we'd been completely slaughtered by the Imps. I mean so badly that it wasn't fun to play at all. And before that I'd been stuck on the loading screen when starting the game. Had to disable my second monitor to get it to work. Took 20 mins to get into the game.

So I thought let's make a start on Alderran, hoping it would cheer me up. But then the monotony of the loading screens and yet another spaceport with exactly the same design hit me. I mean, could they really not have varied the shape of the spaceports a bit? Boring old lift, boring old running through deserted spaceport, questgiver waiting in exactly the same place. I just suddenly felt that I didn't want to do it any more.

And only 19 people online on the planet. Did a few quests, saw hardly anyone else at all.

So I stopped and went to bed.

And now for the first time I'm beginning to doubt whether this game is going to hold my attention and whether it's worth putting the time in to get to 50.

It all happened quite suddenly - I'd been enjoying things before and trying to ward off all the negativity on these forums. Who knows - perhaps I'll recover my enthusiasm. But I'm not sure.

So, did any of you also experience a moment where you unexpectedly and suddenly felt "Hmmm, maybe this game isn't the thing". And if so, did you recover from it, or was it the beginning of the end?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have been loving the game so far, but last night for the first time I began to get bored.

It was when landing on Alderran for the first time (lev 31 trooper, have 2 alts in low 20s). Normally a new planet is exciting. But I was in a bad mood already because I'd just done a Warzone and we'd been completely slaughtered by the Imps. I mean so badly that it wasn't fun to play at all. And before that I'd been stuck on the loading screen when starting the game. Had to disable my second monitor to get it to work. Took 20 mins to get into the game.

So I thought let's make a start on Alderran, hoping it would cheer me up. But then the monotony of the loading screens and yet another spaceport with exactly the same design hit me. I mean, could they really not have varied the shape of the spaceports a bit? Boring old lift, boring old running through deserted spaceport, questgiver waiting in exactly the same place. I just suddenly felt that I didn't want to do it any more.

And only 19 people online on the planet. Did a few quests, saw hardly anyone else at all.

And now for the first time I'm beginning to doubt whether this game is going to hold my attention and whether it's worth putting the time in to get to 50.

It all happened quite suddenly - I'd been enjoying things before and trying to ward off all the negativity on these forums. Who knows - perhaps I'll recover my enthusiasm. But I'm not sure.

So, did any of you also experience a moment where you unexpectedly and suddenly felt "Hmmm, maybe this game isn't the thing". And if so, did you recover from it, or was it the beginning of the end?

After you hit 50 expect this feeling to get much worse.

This game has a habit of falling into a repetitive rut, much more so than other MMOs I've played.

Edited by JeremyDale

As big a supporter of this game as i am...i have indeed experienced it. But this happens with most games when you overdo it. Personally i just stopped playing for 3-4 days...coincidentally i had a lot going on IRL that i took care of. After a couple of days without logging in at all...my appetite was renewed.

Nope I hit 50 and enjoyed my storyline. Still play that character here and there for quest I haven't done, hard modes, pvp, ops etc. Still having fun on that 50.

Almost 50 on my Assassin, still having fun, enjoying the story. See above for plans for this character.

Up next my Jedi character, see above comments again.

I had that with EQ2 after a long while and with Aion and Vanguard after a short while. You need a really good guild to make an on-line game stick ... if you have one and still feel meh ... I'd say maybe roll an alt for a little fun then if that doesn't grab you stop playing ... maybe start again if the game a few months down the line seems more your sort of thing.

same here.

The "meaningful" storylines seem to fizzle out pretty hard after the first act (30ish)

And when you have an mmo based 95% on story......

You basically have a korean grind mmo after level 30, i mean ya you HAVE quests but other than the main story quest,the rest is useless filler (kill 20 of this blah blah) stuff.

Or to be a bit more blunt, it's kotor until 30, then it turns into WoW. more or less.

Try finding a leveling buddy. Leveling to 50 with a friend along the whole way really helps when you hit a dry spot.

You will push each other along. Being able to wise crack along the way with friendly banter also helps me a lot.

Find a good guild. Find someone there about your level who plays similar hours and you will be golden.

I dunno....maybe it's just me but having to search for a leveling buddy in an mmo...the hard part is since we're on our own heroic story besides heroic quests. It makes it hard to find a person to level with when you randomly drop in and out. Its not like a grind group...every is on their own personal path until you need to do a heroic. It's like they ordered an mmo and said double it...now cut in half, cut in half again and now double it. I don't like send it back.

Yup! One thing SWTOR is badly designed, its such a rail that people rarely bump into each other. Its made even worse since the entire game is divided into levels of 4, and the server capacity is so low. It doesn't have the hustle and bustle of other mmos. Bioware severly underestimated how people want to feel like they aren't playing alone.

Some gamers have the same issues as "most" newly married couples. You rush to the thrill at the start of it all...ya get attached to the same thing day in and day out, then later on your bored and faced with making lucrative choices to find creative ways to stay interested....seen it happen many times lol though most deny it.

I dunno....maybe it's just me but having to search for a leveling buddy in an mmo...the hard part is since we're on our own heroic story besides heroic quests. It makes it hard to find a person to level with when you randomly drop in and out. Its not like a grind group...every is on their own personal path until you need to do a heroic. It's like they ordered an mmo and said double it...now cut in half, cut in half again and now double it. I don't like send it back.

You can accompany your friend in his class quests. Thats what i do. The regular planet missions go real fast with 2 players and 2 companions along as well. The whole game speeds up. You tackle Heroics as they come without having to find more members and wasting more time in doing so. At 50 you'll find you have about level 5 soc points too give or take.

Im the same. Never thought i would say it, but yes i hit 50 and got bored.

Ive found with this game pve to be great, apart from doing the same fp over and over gets boring.

Pvp however is really really bad. I thought when i hit 50 i would be on ilum all the time in massive battles having fun. But the only time i go there is to do dailys, and when im threre doing dailys i cant wait to get off the planet. Its like fishing more than pvp. Stand there wait for enemy to get pulled and then all zap him.

I thought i read somewhere that BW had devs with the greatest pvp minds in the industry, and this is what they come up with lol.

I got a whiff of being bored around level 24-25 doing essentially the same things in such a dead world with so many levels looking and feeling so much like the last one. There is some variety but it is too far between.

I like to explore and beating the 'boss' here and there over and over and not even finding a single thing I could loot from their lair just seem like pure laziness. Fine they can't be bothered to give npc's anything to say or have missions that require you to investigate or travel to other worlds (all optional) but at least they could 'fill in' the missions they give you right? Well no, they can't, it's enough they put a catwalk there and some technology items with the bad guys and the boss way at the end like every other time.

I never had your realization because I saw that there would be an end to my enjoyment, though I didn't expect the story and missions would grind on me. Why, well because the story was supposed to be the great thing about this game, when they do an average to good/great job they can let you down on the missions. Story is great but seeing that your actions mean nothing when 2-3 other heroes come along after you to 'save the day' like you are needed to do or that thing you destroyed/fixed is reset for the next player the story has no meaning in the world. So my actions have no meaning, so my story is nothing but my own delusion of grandeur.

Edited by JumperPenn

cats...i think the problem is for most people is they don't have consistant friends to be online at the same time as them when they need them and at the same level. How do you fix this? many ways that will never be done....it is what is now. Where is the balance between questing and grinding and being able to always find someone to hook up with, regardless if you have friends or just looking for a random companion?

cats...i think the problem is for most people is they don't have consistant friends to be online at the same time as them when they need them and at the same level. How do you fix this? many ways that will never be done....it is what is now. Where is the balance between questing and grinding and being able to always find someone to hook up with, regardless if you have friends or just looking for a random companion?

I accepted a blind invite to a guild. Did some missions with a few of the players around my level until I found a friend. It takes effort to find a leveling partner no doubt about it, but it is well worth the effort to try.

Don't give up!

yes, i am in the middle of a slump at level 38. the problem is there is NOTHING to do other than quest and grind.

The market is no fun b/c no one buys anything

Crafting is not engaging at all.

There's nothing / nowhere to explore.

WZs are so flippin' boring

Other than the story there is no depth to this game...at all.

Once you hit 50 there's plenty of things to do, look around for new players that may need help, use all those materials in your cargo hold to craft stuff for new players and lower level people and offer them on the Network for decent prices, hell sometimes I inspect lowbies who aren't guilded and if they are in dire need of better gear for their level I make em an upgrade and offer it to em freely...remember not everyone has friends or the time to get what they need to help them enjoy the game. Start a guild with some friends if your not in one already. If you like playing alone then create a new alt on the opposite faction to see the game from their perspective, there's a lot to keep players busy.

I probably have overdone it a bit since early release since the last week I have been alt-hopping more than really enjoying myself. Started noticing things more than before, like npc's always standing at the exact same spot, never moving an inch. The game looks great, stylised but great, however the worlds lack life. Why is every person, beast, etc not moving around? Are they so bored with life they stopped moving? It didn't annoy me until the last week.

I tried pvp a bit, but I have to be honest and admit that pvp just ain't my thing. I hate it when my character dies, I am a pve-er at heart so am so used to the fact that my character only dies when I mess up. In pvp you die a lot, a whole lot. It's the nature of the game, just not for me. So decided to stop which resulted in an increase in fun again.

It's like having a brand new car you just bought, you love it and then notice a small scratch on it and instead of enjoying the ride you start getting more and more annoyed with the scratch until it's all you see. The car is still great, my enjoyment not so much.

I'm hoping to get the fun with TOR back soon since I know that the main reasons I am not enjoying myself as much this last week or so have little to do with the game itself and a lot with the fact that I overdid it a bit.

The fun will return... I hope.

cats trust me I don't give up personally, I'm being the generl joe guy for the sake of being it. When I played SWG I played no guilded for a long time until I got jedi not even trying then this whole new world opened up to me and I learned what the game really had to offer. Thats not a comparison to this game, just saying I know what your sayin.

I probably have overdone it a bit since early release since the last week I have been alt-hopping more than really enjoying myself. Started noticing things more than before, like npc's always standing at the exact same spot, never moving an inch. The game looks great, stylised but great, however the worlds lack life. Why is every person, beast, etc not moving around? Are they so bored with life they stopped moving? It didn't annoy me until the last week.

I tried pvp a bit, but I have to be honest and admit that pvp just ain't my thing. I hate it when my character dies, I am a pve-er at heart so am so used to the fact that my character only dies when I mess up. In pvp you die a lot, a whole lot. It's the nature of the game, just not for me. So decided to stop which resulted in an increase in fun again.

It's like having a brand new car you just bought, you love it and then notice a small scratch on it and instead of enjoying the ride you start getting more and more annoyed with the scratch until it's all you see. The car is still great, my enjoyment not so much.

I'm hoping to get the fun with TOR back soon since I know that the main reasons I am not enjoying myself as much this last week or so have little to do with the game itself and a lot with the fact that I overdid it a bit.

The fun will return... I hope.

I agree..For example Nar Shaddaa. I think it's a really awesome place but..DEAD AS HELL! And I'm not intending dead = without people , I mean that seems like a dead place.

Things around me doesn't give me the impression of a living world, seems pretty much a level of a single player game.

And to be honest, If I have to play single player, I think that there are games that erase SWTOR without even a move.

I enjoyed my trip to 50, and am loving the endgame. And PvP is a blast.

I agree it'd be nice to see tons of people on each planet - to group up with and interect with. But before you compain too much, consider how lonely it is leveling an alt up in any other mmo that's been around a while. Nuff said.