This game made me...

Norumaniac

... Appreciate WoW.

Don't get me wrong, i like TOR. I think its a good game and i like what they did with the classes. But thats it.

WoW imo is a better game, has less issues and more players.

I probably wont go back there, cause i had enough but i wanted SWTOR to be... well, a better more polished game. More fun.

Funny, because it made me dislike WoW even more. I mean, I had some good times in that game and don't think it's objectively bad or anything... But if anything my decision to never play it again has only been reinforced since TOR has come out. What with GW2, ME3, Risen 2 and TSW on the horizon, I have no reason to touch WoW again :D

Guess what wow was like 6 weeks after launch. If you guessed that it had a fraction of the content and polish of TOR, then you get a cookie. Wait six years and then you can compare TOR then to what Wow is now.

Cool, so i have to pay 15 bucks a month for at least 1-2 years till the game becomes awesome? That makes sense, right...

I dont think TOR will be around for so long btw.

... Appreciate WoW.

Don't get me wrong, i like TOR. I think its a good game and i like what they did with the classes. But thats it.

I probably wont go back there, cause i had enough but i wanted SWTOR to be... well, a better more polished game. More fun.

I didn't like WoW personally but I do acknowledge it has had many years to polish the bugs.

Sure, it had different bugs than TOR has but as long as the community continues to support TOR then it too will have time to become polished just like WoW did.

It is very rare for a NEW mmo to be an actual "finished" or bug-free product, the general rule is that they start off horribly and can only get better if they retain customers and aren't forced to try free-to-play models.

I intend to stick with TOR and give it time to grow.

Well you are probably right. I guess i wanted more. Tbh i did pay for the game and a 60 day game card.

It was similar to wow at launch, different issues but both have had their issues, there have been smoother launch's rift comes to mind, however my server i played on at the time never capped out (or if it did me and my friends were already on), however rift got boring quickly, don't ask why it just did, maybe too close to wow in that it was a fantasy game too.

Dispite the bugs I'm enjoying Swtor, i have my love hate relationship, and i curse at it and call it names every now and then, but then it starts stroking me again and i remember why i love it, i never hit swtor though, i must be clear!

Guess what wow was like 6 weeks after launch. If you guessed that it had a fraction of the content and polish of TOR, then you get a cookie. Wait six years and then you can compare TOR then to what Wow is now.

Why does someone always come up with this garbage..

If Star wars was released at the same time as Wow then I don't think anyone would be complaining.

The fact is though, we are now many years on since Wow was released.

To simplify it, here's an example using something you may be familiar with.

I'm a TV salesman. I sell you a new TV. Only this new TV has all the problems associated with TV's made 6 years ago - it's not in HD, it doesn't come with free channels built in and it sure as hell can't play anything in 3D.

You're not happy with your purchase, quite rightly, as you'd expect in the year 2011-2012 to receive a TV with all of the above mentioned features for the top dollar you just paid for it.

My response to you when you enter the shop in search of your refund is 'Well, Tv's made 6 years ago were this bad.......stop complaining'

ER WHATTT

Key :-

Tv = Star wars game.

So yeah stop comparing something new to something made 6 years ago.

Edited by Pengant

I didn't like WoW personally but I do acknowledge it has had many years to polish the bugs.

Sure, it had different bugs than TOR has but as long as the community continues to support TOR then it too will have time to become polished just like WoW did.

It is very rare for a NEW mmo to be an actual "finished" or bug-free product, the general rule is that they start off horribly and can only get better if they retain customers and aren't forced to try free-to-play models.

I intend to stick with TOR and give it time to grow.

This logic is flawed.

WoW had 1/4 the budget of SWTOR and was built with technology available to them in 2000-2004. SWTOR had new technology, and could look at other successful modern mmos for ideas. All WoW had to look at was Ever Quest and Asherons Call (pure grind fests, no real questing to speak of overall.., etc).

Other games have come out MUCh more completed. Take a look at everything rift had 2 months after launch compared to where we are now with SWTOR. Rift was from a no name company, yet had a very polished and complete launch. Everything worked, lots of dailie and activities to do, challenging raids, a LFG system, etc etc.

Tera is coming out soon and from what i see, has an LFG system, a number of end game dungeons and raids (not just 1 which is missing 8 bosses out of 10 at launch like SWTOR did) etc.

This is 2012, pointing at WoW in 2004 is a sad excuse. People want modern polish and clean, not excuses. If they cant get it with BW, then Rift, Tera and GW2 will steal the customers gladly.

I was thinking how the cooldowns look like a clock running out in wow and how they go down the button in swtor. And how in swtor it's caused all kinds of issues, then they try and fix it but they cause more issues etc. And you have to admire WoW for having a much more cohesive basic design, there were bugs of course but at it's base it just had a very solid design, and not only that they let the players change it practically however they wanted.

sw:tor is rotten to it's core, the graphics engine is ancient and terrible, the UI is badly designed, the levels are all claustrophobic (even the wide open spaces. You are exhausted.) The character customization is very limited. Even the hair is bad.

It's really a lesson in what you can get away with on your reputation and laser swords.

The only time I appreciate WoW over this game is when I'm feeling impatient and staring at a loading screen. Everything else is pretty much gravy. Although I want to slaughter half the pvpers in both games and ninety percent of the people in general chat. But that's just MMOs for you.

Atleast wow had a damn combat log. What *********** game releases without a combat log?

Atleast wow had a damn combat log. What *********** game releases without a combat log?

As somebody who played WoW from about a month after release, I'd like to point out that WoW's original combat log was a flaming piece of crap. It's taken a considerable time to mature into what it can do today.

I'd actually prefer for TOR to get a combat log that only recorded the stuff directly involving you (and your companion if you're not in a raid). You can still measure your own performance, but can't stroke the epeen meters in a pug. Would be interesting. :-)

... Appreciate WoW.

I'll only agree with the fact that WoW had less bugs at launch.

Other than that, you're argument is poor.

It took wow a year to get thei first million subs, 2 years to get 3-4 millions and and 3 years to pass the bar of 10 million (that is, with the game expanding it's range to the asian and russian market)

Wow as tones of more stuff that is for sure, but it took them 7 years to add it. ToR as been online for 2 months and it has half of wow's content already.

This isn't to say that what you are saying is wrong. But if you are going to expect an MMo to get 4-5 millions subs after 2 months... Keep waiting.

If you guessed that it had a fraction of the content and polish of TOR, then you get a cookie.
Uhhh, no.

Less polished, definitely. Less content? Hardly.

What the hell did they do to Kalimdor and the Eastern Kingdoms that everyone thinks the game had zero content at release?

It blew TOR out of the water in terms of content; all it really lacked for was battlegrounds, but no MMO had battlegrounds when WoW released. They practically invented them (or literally did, idk).

no wonder no one played it. must have been terrible

I was thinking how the cooldowns look like a clock running out in wow and how they go down the button in swtor. And how in swtor it's caused all kinds of issues, then they try and fix it but they cause more issues etc. And you have to admire WoW for having a much more cohesive basic design, there were bugs of course but at it's base it just had a very solid design, and not only that they let the players change it practically however they wanted.

sw:tor is rotten to it's core, the graphics engine is ancient and terrible, the UI is badly designed, the levels are all claustrophobic (even the wide open spaces. You are exhausted.) The character customization is very limited. Even the hair is bad.

It's really a lesson in what you can get away with on your reputation and laser swords.

Apples/Oranges

A lot of the UI problems in SWTOR exist because it's a Scaleform implementation (more typical of console games) vs a LUA implementation.

Scaleform is Flash based.

It looks pretty but it comes with baggage.

One of the things I now appreciate about Blizzard is the attention to detail they put into WoW & gameplay experience.

Small details like critters, animals chasing each other in the wild, NPCs that react to you when you click on them ("How you doin', mon?" "I've been waiting for you", "Me not that kind of Orc!").

Huge open environments that go on forever, with no loading screens. You could probably spend 45 minutes walking from one end of Kalimdor to the other without interruption.

The original game had biiiiig instances. I think Maraudon used to take something like 90 minutes to complete from start to finish; it was gigantic, but you could play it through without interruption.

I just bought SWTOR last week & while I'm enjoying it, I'm shocked how claustrophobic & choppy it feels.

I got a toon to level 10, got a group & jumped into Esseles. It's fun, but good god, I think I spent almost as much time in elevators & waiting on NPC dislogues as I did fighting bosses. WTH?

For all their faults (and they have a lot of them) Blizz devs would rather drop dead than deliver an experience like that.

Edited by Dayfax

It takes 6 years to compare? You are mistaken in the relative terms. Technology today in 2012 sir is not the same as Technology in 2002. TOR should have all the necessary tools already to beat wow.

Why does someone always come up with this garbage..

If Star wars was released at the same time as Wow then I don't think anyone would be complaining.

The fact is though, we are now many years on since Wow was released.

To simplify it, here's an example using something you may be familiar with.

I'm a TV salesman. I sell you a new TV. Only this new TV has all the problems associated with TV's made 6 years ago - it's not in HD, it doesn't come with free channels built in and it sure as hell can't play anything in 3D.

You're not happy with your purchase, quite rightly, as you'd expect in the year 2011-2012 to receive a TV with all of the above mentioned features for the top dollar you just paid for it.

My response to you when you enter the shop in search of your refund is 'Well, Tv's made 6 years ago were this bad.......stop complaining'

ER WHATTT

Key :-

Tv = Star wars game.

So yeah stop comparing something new to something made 6 years ago.

The analogy fails because of the nature of games and how mmos evolve over time. The only feature that would compare is stuff like dungeon finder, which is a conceptual choice not to include anyway...

New games won't be saturated with content, no mmo will release with dozens of instances, raids or otherwise, maybe if it's the main focus instead of just endgame to a larger concept... Reasons are many though, publisher wants to release yesterday, game is mostly ready but lacks some endgame content(many people would rather wait while playing I for one.), the initial content is made so they can better measure the populace and adjust the ones to come and so on.