Should I drop Slicing?

SaintCree

So, I'm wondering whether or not I should drop my slicing. Here's what I've got:

Cybertech: 400

Scavenging: 400

Slicing: 400

I'm a Merc BH about to hit level 50. I have most of my blue patterns for Cybertech, but I can't craft any fun epics because the materials are so damn expensive. I was considering dropping Slicing for Underworld Trading, but I'm not sure.

What are you guys' thoughts? I'm looking at things like credits (I'm at 400,000 currently), utility, and future balancing.

Yes, drop it and get underworld trading. You can greed sell underworld mats for a nice price on the market and they will compliment your rare crafts for cybertech. Slicing is useless in that you rarely get the mission rewards which are the best benefit from lockbox missions, augments are nice but you rarely craft an item with augment slot, and lockboxes you simply make back your investment if you're lucky.

Before the nerf to slicing some people made millions of credits but now the skill is worthless on a main but can still be great for an alt though from what I mentioned about the very rare but great mission reward and augments.

Edited by mandrillagon

Just buy the blue/purple mats from the galactic market. Slicing missions give missions that can be sold on the galactic market for huge profit. Not to mention that you get the artifact augments, which will be highly sought after by crafters and raiders who want full sets.

If you really need Underworld Trading just make an alt and raise it to 400 there, no reason for you to drop slicing. (I raised my alts by farming companion gifts, maxxed out my companion affection on my main as a result.)

Edited by Edgedy

Make an alt with Synthweaving and its support skills, which include UT. Keep your slicer to get missions and be able to utilize both iron and silk. Takes a bit of work, of course, since you'll want at least 2 companions with max affection on said alt, but... Edited by Battilea

So, I'm wondering whether or not I should drop my slicing. Here's what I've got:

I'm a Merc BH about to hit level 50. I have most of my blue patterns for Cybertech, but I can't craft any fun epics because the materials are so damn expensive. I was considering dropping Slicing for Underworld Trading, but I'm not sure.

What are you guys' thoughts? I'm looking at things like credits (I'm at 400,000 currently), utility, and future balancing.

I'd say keep slicing and make an alt, do the first planet (to get to the fleet) then pick up UT on the alt. If you don't have a huge demand for the blue / purple metals, that's your best bet. Not to mention you can get UT patterns from the Slicing, which will help you get more metal on your alt.

I run Slicing, Cybertech, and Underworld trading. Scavanging materials are cheaper on the GTN since people can farm nodes for them. That's how I would roll at least until filling out all the cybertech recipies maybe beyond in case more are added.

As I've leveled slicing has well kept me in enough credits to buy all the mats I need to skill up and to make the mods I need.

Slicing currently is garbage. I dont know why i still run with it. The possiblity of getting purple augments is miniscule. I have gotten maybe 3-4 during the course of a month. Credit boxes will net you about 0-500 credits per 1h mission. Now and then you get purple missions though from slicing, which is really good on you alts : P

On my server, missions will go for 20-40k depending on which one.

Augments (purple) will go for 30k.

Probably best bet is to just get boxes as they are faster (so will crit more often per hour) and they will always net a little income.

If I had to drop one of those, it would be Scavenging.

However, what I did was to roll an alt and power level Underworld Trading. Now I send the Underworld Trading missions I get with Slicing to my UT alt, and I get all the materials I need for selling high end Earpieces and ship upgrades. Really, really glad I kept Slicing. Everyone needs it on at least one character, in my opinion, because of the great synergy it has with other mission skills.