Many of this game's balance problems stem from how zergy warzones are.

Aidank

It seems to me like this game is intended to be balanced around 1v1-3v3 person fights, there's a lot that seems to point towards this idea, for instance, a free casting mercenary does an insane amount of burst damage at range so obviously I would assume the game isn't balanced around letting mercenaries freecast, yet in a 5v5 or so it's practically impossible to keep mercenaries interrupted and that's reflected in the scoreboards you'll see most games.

You can look at the power a lot of AoE abilities, sorcerers have two AoEs that crit for around 3500 and force sentinels/guardians can crit for some 4-5,000 with AoE sweep. It's pretty obvious that with AoE attacks hitting that hard, they aren't intended to hit very many people in pvp.

You could look at the disparity in damage taken by non stealth melee classes and ranged classes, These are just my observations but in most battlegrounds i've seen sentinels & juggernauts take some twice as much damage as mercenaries & sorcerers. This is a trend you can find in other games as well, melee tends to do far less well in zergs than ranged, especially when ranged classes have potent AoEs

You could look at AoE knockbacks with 5 second snares on them, or AoE mezzes, these are incredibly overpowered in large scale battles, but in a 2v2 are hardly that bad.

You can look at the resolve system, in a 6v6 two back to back stuns is almost always going to be a death sentence, but is far more manageable in a small fight where you don't get blown up in 5 seconds.

It just seems to me like there's a disconnect between who balances classes, and who designs warzones. So many of these problems that people complain about would be solved, at least in part, by scaling down pvp

I think the games balance issues also revolve around skillcap of the class too. I have a Merc and a Mara. I play both my characters regularly lvling them up. Lvling i have more fun on my warrior but BH in pvp is so much easier and more fun. Playing marauder in Huttball is the most frustrating pvp experience ever and yet on my Merc its crazy fun. I think its the same with a lot of ranged classes, just stand there, knockback and nuke and tbh, to balance the game out BW needs to either increase the the skillcap, nerf some of the ccs of ranged classes or make malee classes easier to play with more closing and imunity to knockbacks cc etc. On mara ive run out of space for keybinds lol.

The other day i think i died on my mara just from knockbacks. I was being thrown about like a pingpong ball. Im dreading pvp at 50 on warrior but looking forward to it on BH.

Also BW. Plz plz plz think about putting in Diminishing Returns on CC and most definately knockback. It will add a more tactical observant team effort to time cc and make it a hell of a lot more fun and encourage more malee into warzones. This should be a priority update for pvp. Being stunned/rooted for 20seconds isnt fun.

I would assume the game isn't balanced around letting mercenaries freecast, yet in a 5v5 or so it's practically impossible to keep mercenaries interrupted

Why not? 5v5 means there's 5 times as many interrupts that can happen. . .or more specifically, focus fire to just eliminate him.

Just sounds like your pug didn't have very much teamwork.