Does Evasion Do Anything At All?

Balduvar

I notice on my character screen when I use this ability my defense chance actually gets bumped up from 5.15% to 205.18%. However, I still get hit with ranged attacks (simple stuff like rifle shot) even with the ability active.

Does it even work at all?

I notice on my character screen when I use this ability my defense chance actually gets bumped up from 5.15% to 205.18%. However, I still get hit with ranged attacks (simple stuff like rifle shot) even with the ability active.

Only against white damage (weapon damage, such as your rifle shot). Most of the damage in the game is yellow damage.

Evasion's true use is to clear DoT spells from you before you hit Vanish.

Edited by Oghier

Sometimes it takes a second or two to actually be active, but it should help against white damage like rifle shot.

I always kinda suspected that projectiles that were already in the air would probably still hit so I never gave the ability too much thought when it seemed to not work before. I'll explain the specific situation that occurred today that makes me question whether the ability does anything or not though just for clarification.

I was hiding out of LoS of an enemy gunslinger in Alderaan Civil War. I was in the landing area for empire so there is no possibility of the shot having come somewhere else and being mid air when I hit evasion (yes, we were getting owned bad enough that we were being farmed on the landing area).

I hit evasion while still LoS, moved into line of sight of the gunslinger to hit him with a corrosive dart. He fired what was most likely a rifle shot at me (or whatever their equivalent is) and killed me because I was at very low health. The animation on the attack was very clearly a weapon attack because I had blaster bolts hitting me in the face.

Edited by Balduvar

Evasion is one of those ... abilities ... that well ... you love and hate. It's fairly useful in PvE Operations, but in the context of PvP the ability is primarily (but not exclusively) only useful against other Snipers/Gunslingers and Jedi Knights/Sith Warriors since those four base classes use primarily all non-force/tech abilities which evasion doesn't have any effect on.

There are a few Sentiel/Marauder abilities that are classified as force that it will not effect. The BH/Commando abilities it does effect are some of the least used/popular abilities in their classes so its effectiveness is very limited towards them as well. Like I said, its situational and best saved for when you know it will have as much effect as possible.

The same should be said for shield probe though, which is rumored (but I've never bothered to confirm) to scale of your healing bonus and also doesn't absorb all types of damage as you might assume from the tooltip.

If there is anything I wish there was more of in this game, it's transparency into certain ability mechanics.

Edited by SageH

Evasion on operative is cheese - removes all hostile removable effects.

Evasion on sniper? Turn it on if you see big red bullseye above your head (enemy ambush). Turn it on when jumped by melee, if you are lucky he will miss ravage or some white rage generator strikes.

That's it.

Evasion on operative is cheese - removes all hostile removable effects.

Evasion on sniper? Turn it on if you see big red bullseye above your head (enemy ambush). Turn it on when jumped by melee, if you are lucky he will miss ravage or some white rage generator strikes.

That's it.

This. And wow, i thought you had to go for some deep talents to remove dots as an operative? Don't they use a cleanse ability to do that? Or can they use both? Anyway, operatives eat me for breakfast if they got some skill at all. Too much stuff to counter me

There are a few Sentiel/Marauder abilities that are classified as force that it will not effect. The BH/Commando abilities it does effect are some of the least used/popular abilities in their classes so its effectiveness is very limited towards them as well. Like I said, its situational and best saved for when you know it will have as much effect as possible.

Railshot kinda hurts and the PT's use it. 15 second CD opportunity to use on targets taking periodic damage or incapacitated only, opportunities tor eset CD in talents. But it's a very safe bet it'll unload on you shortly after they apply their first periodic damage. Method varying by spec.

But the evasion duration window is so small as to be not very worthwhile.

Evasion doesn't break stealth, so you can use it after popping your vanish to remove dots that would break your stealth.

It'll remove anything that's removeable by anyone in the game. It's great against snipers/gunslingers, pretty effective against warriors/knights, and decent against assassins/shadows if you know when to use it during their rotation.

It's also good against most PvE content.

Uses I've found for it --

Removing dots so that your escape doesn't break.

Removing snares/roots with a (very) minor run buff (talented) when you're running the ball in HB and are close to the endzone.

Wish it lasted maybe 5 seconds cause as stated, railshot does really *********** hurt, but 3 seconds is not much of a window to anticipate it successfully.

no, it doesnt really do anything like the tooltip states.

best to stop using it as defined in the tooltip, and just use it to wipe dots (which is does, even though the tooltip doesnt mention it, its under 'counter measures', a passive ability in your spellbook)

edit: dot wipe for clean vanish. and to break roots/snares. thats its two uses

Edited by Vallowen

I've never once got Evasion to proc right for me.. never in PvP.. and i can't recall if ever in PvE.

I pop it, and take 2 steps in PvP to enter to fray.. BAM.. damaged to high heck.

Have they redone the tooltip to properly explain what it does? They need to

Problem with it is that it has no effect on force/tech abilities and lasts for a pitiful 3 seconds.

Given most of the harder hitting abilities are force/tech its usefulness is highly situational.

Decent vs a sniper/gunslinger to avoid a shot but they can just use a tech ability on you when they the green bubble.

Evasion is one of those abilities that looked amazing at first glance, but actually is rather pitifull.

As an Operative you can atleast use it to clear DoTs. As a Sniper its only true use is against other Snipers/Gunslingers.

Anything else uses quite alot of Force or Tech abilities, and these cannot be dodged. Against Marauder its okay-ish, just dont wait to long to pop it.

But it absolutely shines against Snipers specced MM. Pop it just before that Ambush goes off and he'll likely put out a Followthrough or insta-snipe (or both) into your shield. Wasting all his hard hitters. Its also the only class that can be anticipated enough to use that small 3sec window effectively.

It feels like the only thing a Sniper can counter properly is another Sniper.