Purple Items vs Orange Items

scvfjack

Hello everyone,

I have a question about items and item modifications. From what I understand, purple items are supposed to be better than orange items. For example, I was looking at the Champion PVP weapon rewards last night and I do verify that they have a higher item level vs. my current lvl 50 orange item. My question is this: How are purple items supposed to be better when orange items have more stats in them (because of the modifications it can have)? I do not know much about modifying items, but are you able to add modifications to items that do not have slots? Is it possible to add slots to items that currently do not have slots (for example, a Champion pvp blaster pistol do not have any slots for mods)? Please advice with a detailed explanation or link me to a thread if this has been asked already.

Thanks in advance.

A purple item might not be better then an orange item with the best possible mods in it. But the best purple item should be better then any orange you can make currently.

So my guess is, that you saw a low end purple there, and that's why your orange was better.

The only problem right now with Orange vs Purple is at end game lvl 50 gear. The items that drop out of Operations-level content have the Armoring/Hilt/Barrel mods locked, or intrisic, to the item that CANNOT be removed CURRENTLY. All other mods CAN be removed and placed in an orange item. So basically the Orange with 2/3 mods from an Ops drop will be slightly inferior to that original Ops drop simply because you are stuck with rank 23 Armoring/Barrel/Hilt, while the original Ops drop may actually have Rank 24 or 25 (depending on Normal vs Hard/Nightmare mode drops). Ironically, the itemization of said Ops drop is somewhat off - single-bladed light sabers that drop in Operations (or purchased with tokens) seem to carry the Force Wielder Hilts, but are clearly intended for sorcerers, who would prefer Resolve Hilts... Kind of a separate issue, but still worth mentioning!

Until level 50, any orange item with appropriate level purple mods will be equal to any purple item of the same type (Slot and heavy/medium/light) at that same level. The difference being, of course, that you can continue to upgrade the orange, while the purple is locked at it's level.

Edited by Natarii