Cool Down Customisation

Vhaegrant

If the threads on general discusion are anything to judge the current implementation of the Action bar ability cool down timers has stirred up the passions of many gamers in the community.

After submitting an ingame ticket about it, because as it stands I am unable to play the game for any duration (As an aside I'm not overly proud to say that during the holidays I managed to play for 27 hours straight with no significant issue and my average session is in the region of 2-3 hours) it was suggested I post to the 'Suggestion Forum'.

With all four action bars active I tend to focus on the centre point of the screen, the hot bars fall in the peripheral vision and I am finding the high contrast flashing is forcing my eyes to scan the entire screen to find the point of stimulus. This is tiring and in the short term causing a sense of motion sickness/ nausea and in the long term leading to headache.

I would like to suggest the colour or opacity of the cool down effect to be customisable by the user. Personally I feel I would prefer a deeper red colour than the actinic white that is standard. I would also like to be able to remove the heavy shadow that is above the cool down line.

I have not noticed some of the issues other users are finding but that may be due to the fact that I just cannot build up any flow in combat anymore and find it frustrating that I cannot play a game I have been enjoying up till now.

I could live with the cooldown effect, specially with option to adjust opacity. Would much prefer the better pre-patch one though. What I need/want fixed asap though, is the flashing at end. As it is, I can only play in combat 10-15 mins at a time, then having to take break from fighting. Otherwise it's heavy headache :(

Or is that flashing actually what you mean by cooldown? If so, yeah fully agree. Option to set the flashing brightness to 0 would work.

What I don't understand is, what professional interface designer signed off on the current cooldown effect? How could they have been proud of that? Did they even test it themselves in an hour of play with multiple combat situations?

• It is overly garish.
  • It is obscuring of what a skill is.
  • It makes it difficult to see what skill will be ready and what is still not available.
  • The blue screens of death (I now call them) are detracting visually.
  • The intense super-flash of global (which is every icon on the screen) is seizure causing.
  • I cannot even look at my toolbars now without wincing.
  • Sometimes the white border effect gets 'stuck' on some skills, making me still wonder if its 'ready'.

I really don't understand how they couldn't have taken what they had in 1.1.1, and simply add a mid-dim (between disabled dim, and active clear) to an available skill that is on cooldown, with all other effect it had remaining the same. Instead they decided to go the complete extreme opposite with flashy bright over colored faded obscured garbage.

I'm taking a break from the game until its fixed/reverted. The twitching in my eye, and nausea needs to subside (and I wish I was joking about that).

Edited by Frigidman

I'm OK with icons being grayed out if they are actually on a cooldown, but to darken every button on every GCD is incorrect. There is no auto-attack, hence we should ALWAYS be using an ability, hence the GCD will ALWAYS be on.

If the GCD is always on then every button is always dark. It becomes impossible to know which abilities are ready to use unless I stop taking action. It's very difficult to play a priority-based rotation if I can't tell which abilities are ready to use.

What I don't understand is, what professional interface designer signed off on the current cooldown effect? How could they have been proud of that? Did they even test it themselves in an hour of play with multiple combat situations?

• It is overly garish.
  • It is obscuring of what a skill is.
  • It makes it difficult to see what skill will be ready and what is still not available.
  • The blue screens of death (I now call them) are detracting visually.
  • The intense super-flash of global (which is every icon on the screen) is seizure causing.
  • I cannot even look at my toolbars now without wincing.
  • Sometimes the white border effect gets 'stuck' on some skills, making me still wonder if its 'ready'.

I really don't understand how they couldn't have taken what they had in 1.1.1, and simply add a mid-dim (between disabled dim, and active clear) to an available skill that is on cooldown, with all other effect it had remaining the same. Instead they decided to go the complete extreme opposite with flashy bright over colored faded obscured garbage.

I'm taking a break from the game until its fixed/reverted. The twitching in my eye, and nausea needs to subside (and I wish I was joking about that).

Well said. I agree that the edit you suggested to the 1.1.1 system probably would have been enough.

We need a system that can distinguish between four things, afaik: out of range, on cool down, out of resource, and normal.

Normal is normal. Out of range should be red, out of resource should be dark, and on cool down should have a yellow, white or blue radial (sort of like the arms of a clock) that shows the countdown, while the ability is grey-ish.

Its not that hard.