Hard drive question

DragonAgeOrgins

have a question if I'm using a hard drive that has 150 GB on it. Will I see a drop in performance.

That would depend on the over all size of the hard drive.. Windows by default I believe uses 10% of the drive for the swap file.. If you don't have the space for the swap file that could hamper performance.. You can adjust the amount Windows uses, but making it smaller will also effect performance..

have a question if I'm using a hard drive that has 150 GB on it. Will I see a drop in performance.

Size of the drive won't affect performance directly. It's the speed of the drive: ie seek time, read/write speeds, bus speed, cache size that will make a difference.

With that said, 150 GB drive may be slower than a new drive as it an old drive now. Do you know if the Drive is SATAI or SATAII? In your case it probably doesn't matter as the bus speed will only apply in short bursts when system is filling or emptying the cache. During sustained transfer, a single drive will not even saturate a SATA I bus let alone SATA II.

I believe drive speed will affect any caching that the game performs and speed of loading screens and the like. Compared to a current SATAII drive, I don't believe you would see much if any performance drop off. But I haven't tested it.

Anyone who is seeing performance differences (Better) is probably running a performance raid, solid state drives or possibly WD raptors. There are even some people running a ram drive (using part of system memory as a drive) to store the game's cached information.