Bioware: why are you restricting the graphics on this game?

EranMichaelLevi

Found this on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy49rhYKUk0&feature=related

Turns out for some unfathomed reason Bioware is holding us back on graphic performance, graphics look blurry, I don't see why they won't let us enjoy the game as it was meant to be enjoyed - The current highest level of details is unsatisfying. Let those of us who invested in a proper PC get our money's worth!

Armor sets are very bad looking as of now, enabling AA in the game has only stressed this out.

I can live with the artistic comic look Bioware chose for the game despite the nitty and gritty feel of the original trilogy, however there's nothing artistic about blurry graphics.

Your beating a dead horse there has been several maxed out discussions on this with well over 10k replies on the matter....

They gave us a BS answer stating that it was a bug in beta allowing high res textures we were never meant to have them apparently. Yet they advertised with them.... bait and switch. Check out this shiney stone! Ohhhhh pretty!! *buys stone*.... this stone isn't shiney.... infact its chipped and broken ***!

I'm not being hateful or anything, and trying to be serious: I've heard that it would put strain on the servers or something. Someone in a thread long ago was talking about overheating issues with the client's computers and such, also.

I don't know. Might be nonsense. That is all I know about it except it doesn't seem like Bioware is fixing it any time soon. :(

Edited by StrikeOfLight

The reason given, regarding performance, does indeed seem lame.

This would be a client side issue, so it could be turned off by users who experience lag with higher settings. Something else is up here and I don't know what it is.

Personally it does not bother me, but that doesn't mean I am buying the reason given by BW on this one...

I'm not being hateful or anything, and trying to be serious: I've heard that it would put strain on the servers or something. Someone in a thread long ago was talking about overheating issues with the client's computers and such, also.

I don't know. Might be nonsense. That is all I know about it except it doesn't seem like Bioware is fixing it any time soon. :(

they said something is coming in 1.2

Well, it does bother me because bad graphics were one of the main reasons I was considering avoiding this game, that and the fact EA was involved.

Visuals are everything when it comes to fantasy, especially space fantasy, Lucas knew that, why won't Bioware?

Edited by EranMichaelLevi

Graphics matter in PC games. There is this myth, and yes it is a myth that WoW got millions of gamers because the graphics sucked and everyone with a Commadore 64 could play. People played WoW primarily for the extremely fun gameplay experience.

Graphics options are key...gamers with high end pc's want high end graphics options. People playing on Dell's need lower end graphics options.

I am not saying graphics are everything. For me personally the shadows are so horrible in swtor that they become a distraction.

As fickle as gamers are if Bioware does not make some big improvements in a short amount of time then gamers will leave in droves for the next big MMO. They do not have 7 years like WoW to get it all together.

They have more like 1 year...maybe. This game has a lot of growing to do in a short amount of time because there are other gaming companies chomping at the bit for the market.

I must have blurry eyes :p I don't see anything wrong with the graphics certainly not blurry for me - in fact some of the views etc are stunning I often stop to look around me.

Restrict away BW if it means the game runs smoothly for more ppl and there are many things I'd rather see actually fixed than worry about a bit of fluff.

I must have blurry eyes :p I don't see anything wrong with the graphics certainly not blurry for me - in fact some of the views etc are stunning I often stop to look around me.

Restrict away BW if it means the game runs smoothly for more ppl and there are many things I'd rather see actually fixed than worry about a bit of fluff.

Views and background are usually far away enough for you to not care about the fine details, however armor sets are inevitably in front of your eyes throughout the game, they are especially important since they give you a sense of pride and relation to your character and its achievements - the way your character looks is one of the pillars of the MMO experience. Currently Armor sets are blurry and messed up. Just take a look at Age of Conan for comparison, the gap can be measured in light years and SWTOR is the brand new title.

Bioware's artistic choice to go with the cartoonish look is one thing, bad graphics are another.

Views and background are usually far away enough for you to not care about the fine details, however armor sets are inevitably in front of your eyes throughout the game, they are especially important since they give you a sense of pride and relation to your character and its achievements - the way your character looks is one of the pillars of the MMO experience. Currently Armor sets are blurry and messed up. Just take a look at Age of Conan for comparison, the gap can be measured in light years and SWTOR is the brand new title.

Bioware's artistic choice to go with the cartoonish look is one thing, bad graphics are another.

pretty much exactly this ^^