Official: Over 1.7 million active subs, 2 + mil sold

Improv-

No way!! Populations are down from Christmas week?

Gee, I wonder what could account for such an unusual happenstance? I mean people generally have way more free time to game when there is not a major holiday.

Things seem to be leveling out some but if those numbers are correct those are players logged in at the SAME time. So if 400 = 400k that means that right now there are 400 000 people logged in and playing.Which is a very good number

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, warhammer lost a LOT of players in the first month. If you played that game at release you would know that
It had similarly impressive sales, given the developer and the IP, and if I recall the first earnings report came almost immediately after release, and couldn't credibly estimate anything other than box numbers; the precipitous drop was evident by the second earnings report, and they barely mentioned WAR in the third.

Is there a site that arranges wow that way?

Same site. HAve been doing this for years

They might not be 100% accurate, but they are pretty close and for TRENDS they have never really been wrong.

(Predicted WAR, CONAN and the best of all FFXIV)

While the communities were crying "WoW this is great" the stats were saying "You're more and more alone in thinking that"

But fanbois will find some way of saying that the game is destined to remain a huge success.

I'm not doubting the launch was a success, but long term, this game needs more depth and more things to do in-game and QUICK.

Fans going to fan

MMO junkies EU server stats show a STAGGERING decline in play. Not just becasue the Xmas holidays ended, but continuing and ongoing now.

Sure technically I'm still a subscriber - one of the happy 1.7 million. But I'm not playing, and I'm not re-newing. The 1.7 is a totally spurious figuere that includes masses of people still on their free 28 days. (I have recently let my direct debit for three months go through..darn it)

Subs this

boxes shifted that

Origin sales the other.

LOOK AT WHO IS PLAYING NOW. The information is readily available in the link I posted above.

Players online ..You know - the people who will continue to subscribe if they are enjoying it?

Well the number osf those guys week by week is dropping like a stone.

Look at MMO junkies overall stats for EU or USA servers. Hit the graph, see the actual numbers.

Players who are playing the game..today, yesterday, see how it compares to last week, the week before. The numbers are dropping like a stone.

Please DON'T TAKE MY WORD FOR IT - CHECK YOURSELF!

Near as I can tell that site only keeps track on server loads, i.e. light, standard, heavy etc. It doesn't keep track of actual numbers, and since BW has raised the load cap for the servers a couple of times since launch (making the previous full limit move down to very heavy the first time they did it and from very heavy to heavy the second time, same for the lesser load descriptions) the information from that site is rather misleading.

Edited by Runeshard

No way!! Populations are down from Christmas week?

Gee, I wonder what could account for such an unusual happenstance? I mean people generally have way more free time to game when there is not a major holiday.

Dunno - if you'd read the post and seen the stats you would see they are also 20% down from January 8th.

I did write that above - perhaps fanboiism causes poor eyesight and lack of attention span

It certainly casues blinkering of the vision.

Near as I can tell that site only keeps track on server loads, i.e. light, standard, heavy etc. It doesn't keep track of actual numbers, and since BW has raised the load cap for the servers a couple of times since launch (making the previous full limit move down to very heavy the first time they did it and from very heavy to heavy the second time, same for the lesser load descriptions) the information from that site is rather misleading.

This is a fast moving thread, so I'll link this again:

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/star-wars-old-republic-getting-1m-log-ins-a-day/090619

1 million people logging in a day, for an average of four hours playtime.

Hope that helps!

QS :D

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/star-wars-old-republic-getting-1m-log-ins-a-day/090619

Hope that helps!

Already read it but thanks :) Just pointing out to Scritty that the stats he's waving around aren't accurate since they don't take into account that the server population limit was increased a couple of times.

Dunno - if you'd read the post and seen the stats you would see they are also 20% down from January 8th.

I did write that above - perhaps fanboiism causes poor eyesight and lack of attention span

15%-20% maybe well approx 17.5% roughly have left the game since start.. Isn't that what the report said.. TBH given the raising of server caps I'll say 15% have left since launch.

I see no problem except you saying the same thing as us except we're getting our figures from a financial report and you're getting your figures based on unknown moving goals which are server load indicators

1) That is based on euro at 1:30 in the morning

2) by those numbers they are stating that a full server has a max pop of 500....

These numbers do not measure server population. They measure server load, using the following scale:

Light - 1

Standard - 2

Heavy - 3

Veary Heavy - 4

Full - 5

So, a "population" of 218 (the approximate peak over the last 24 hours) means the average server load is 218 / 91 = 2.4, or about halfway between standard and heavy (there are 91 EU servers). Unless you know what the threshold is for each server load category, you cannot make any inferences about how many players are playing the game based on this data. You can make inferences about trends, but only if the caps are constant (and we know for a fact they were increased during the rollout of the game).

With 91 servers, the maximum "population" rating is 455 (= 91 x 5).

This is all explained at http://www.mmo-junkies.net/topic/210-swtor-statistics-tool-faq/.

Edited by Kthx

Things seem to be leveling out some but if those numbers are correct those are players logged in at the SAME time. So if 400 = 400k that means that right now there are 400 000 people logged in and playing.Which is a very good number

That's not what it means. In this charts 1 means a light server and 5 a very heavy server. When you add the status of all servers you get 400. That's all there is. And since EA have officially confirmed doubling the capacity of the servers it's obvious why there was a sudden drop in the overall status. What you need to look for is the small decline after that. That is the only real indication of how many (or rather how much) people are playing.

Someone said WoW has 10 million subs but how many of those are gold farmers? 2 million in the US, seems like legit players. Then I ready 8 million in China/far east. So Minus the euro players which isn't more than the US....5-6 million gold farmers? With as many gold selling sites and every single server they have to cover for available gold...that sounds about right.

Hope that helps!

This is a PR piece written by EA.

How does that prove anything?

Daily log in's is a meaningless stat. You might log on 8x a day. Every time you change from one alt to another that's a log in. Over 1 million a day sounds very low to me in that case.

Server stats. Hard figures. How many people are online.

MMO junkies also takes into account changes in the labels and server pop increases (to answer the poster above)

If you read the FAQ on their site it's all there (remember to remove your fanboy blinkers first, they might get in the way) So if "Moderate", becomes "Low" (as happened) that is all factored in. (If it wasn't you'd see an even more humungous leap one day when that happened - there is none)

You can find articles where EA and Bioware toe the line and quote shareholder pleasing figures all you like.

I prefer to see the numbers

MMO junkies have the numbers

If you choose to ignore them that's up to you

Doesn't make you right though.

So between January 8th and Febraury the numbers dropped by 20% (as accurate as these charts get, since they are only guesswork based on the server-stats). In that time the free month ended and even according to the real numbers published by EA there has been a 15% drop in subscriptions. So the difference between the guesswork and the real numbers is 5%, which is pretty good. For guesswork.

Of course in the end none of these numbers (either real or made up) say anything about the long-term success of the game, but saying the game is doomed based on server stats is just as stupid, as it is to assume the game will be the most successful MMO ever, because it had a decent launch-period.

Edited by CaptainHagbard

so from the article above 1mil log ins a day is pretty good.. But what is true? Posts like these make me think the game is doin good. Then I read alot of posts by other people spouting that the game is bleeding subs and failing....which is true? It almost seems the haters are just making stuff up. Edited by Kypp

Daily log in's is a meaningless stat. You might log on 8x a day. Every time you change from one alt to another that's a log in. Over 1 million a day sounds very low to me in that case.

Unique log-ins. As in that many accounts have been logged into each day on average.

Am I the only one that looked at the 2012 timeline and thought

"Why the heck is SWTOR listed as a Q3 product?"

I'll be honest I didn't expect and expansion within the first year.

I hope that is a positive sign!

Fact is the site is useless at this point since it is based off server loads which have been changed.

It may hold some value after 6 months or so of the server loads being set the same.

I'm willing to bet the canceled subs are poor people who can't afford 15 a month or the crybabies that have no life,powerleveled to 50 and cried because there was nothing to do. How accurate are those predictions?

Probably a handful that just didn't enjoy the game...the legit reason for leaving.

This is a great game, and I'm happy to see it has hit the ground running. Now that BW has started off on the right foot...hopefully they will keep the momentum and push this game in a direction that will expand the player base. They have made it over the first hurdle, now the destiny of the game is in their hands.

I must admit watching the haters rage here and at massively.com and mmorpg.com is quite amusing, but cheer up, haters...over 300k people still quit before the first month was up.

85% retention for the first month is about what I expected, since most of us don't have 50s yet and are still enjoying the leveling process. It will be interesting to see if they mention sub numbers at the next quarterly, and if they still have over a million. I still think they'll be lucky to have 500k left by the 6 month mark, without major improvements and content additions.

Am I the only one that looked at the 2012 timeline and thought

"Why the heck is SWTOR listed as a Q3 product?"

I'll be honest I didn't expect and expansion within the first year.

I hope that is a positive sign!

EA's fiscal 2012 runs Apr 1 2011 - Mar 30 2012, so TOR launched in their Q3 (Oct-Dec).

Edited by ChicksDigHarleys

MMO junkies also takes into account changes in the labels and server pop increases (to answer the poster above)

If you read the FAQ on their site it's all there (remember to remove your fanboy blinkers first, they might get in the way) So if "Moderate", becomes "Low" (as happened) that is all factored in. (If it wasn't you'd see an even more humungous leap one day when that happened - there is none)

You can find articles where EA and Bioware toe the line and quote shareholder pleasing figures all you like.

The article states 1 million unique log ins a day. As in 1 million different accounts.

As for MMO junkie taking server cap changes into account I seriously doubt it.

Edited by Runeshard

Same site. HAve been doing this for years

They might not be 100% accurate, but they are pretty close and for TRENDS they have never really been wrong.

(Predicted WAR, CONAN and the best of all FFXIV)

While the communities were crying "WoW this is great" the stats were saying "You're more and more alone in thinking that"

But fanbois will find some way of saying that the game is destined to remain a huge success.

I'm not doubting the launch was a success, but long term, this game needs more depth and more things to do in-game and QUICK.

What this game really needs, and these forums also, is a lot less trolls such as yourself.

Sorry, but much like your ridiculous claim that Metacritic user ratings were the "industry standard" you're wrong again.

MMO junkies reads the server stats page from this website so all they can read is the status. There is NO way for them to factor in actual population, so your claim that they factor in when a servers cap is changed is nonsense.

If Low is 500 players and the next day Bioware makes Low 1000 people MMO Junkies has no way of knowing this, all they know is that the server is reporting Low.

Here is the MMO Junkies FAQ btw, feel free to show me where it states otherwise.

http://www.mmo-junkies.net/topic/210-swtor-statistics-tool-faq/

BTW, the site also says this:

Can I make guesses on overall subscription count based on these graphs?

No you shouldn't be relying on them to make so guesses. These graph purely relies on instantaneous server population values provided by Bioware, nothing more.

Edited by rafter