Official: Over 1.7 million active subs, 2 + mil sold

Improv-

The subscription numbers are current, not from Dec 31.

Theoretically "A little over a month" could be 28 days and still slip in under the 30 day trial. It's a stretch, but this thread is about splitting the splits in the splits of split hairs' splits.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you saying that EA is including information from Jan 2012 in their 4th qtr 2011 financial report, which is their fiscal 3rd qtr 2012 report.

Who? What?

Companies will discuss present conditions (often that's the real things analysts are asking them about!) AND previous quarter's financial report. It is very clearly stated in the CC that they are talking about 1.7 million current subscribers. There is no doubt. None. Go see for yourself.

It isn't a guess.

1.5 million was reported by analysts. EA released a PR saying 1 million+ 3 days after launch.

If you want to believe 0 boxes were sold after that until the end of the year... FINE. Then the 1-mo retention rate will take a rather large hit and continuing sales will look better.

1.5 mil before Jan 1. and 500k after Jan 1. = 1.7 subcribers (500k after Jan 1. and 1.2 mil pre-Jan 1)

1-mo "launch" retention rate is now 71%.

1.0 mil before Jan 1. and 1 mil after Jan 1. = 1.7mil subscribers (1 mil after Jan 1. and 700k pre-Jan 1)

1-mo "launch" retention rate is now 41%.

Tell me what numbers you think are correct. The formula is simple. You seem to be afraid to run the numbers and only want to dispute mine as incorrect.

No I am not, I am merely stating that besides the "over 1 million" as stated by EA themselves post-launch and the "over 2 million" being stated now together with the "1.7 million" we also have of this moment we don't have any other information.

They could have theoretically sold 1 million extra before 1st of January and nothing else since. Or they could have sold all those 1 million after the first of January as your minimum number also shows.

So with the numbers we have right now the only thing we can say for certain is that they have a "launch" retention, as you call it, of anywhere between 41% and 85%. That is not very accurate, and therefore I call against any judgements or opinion to be made on the numbers we do have as they are simply not enough to make any educated opinion on the state of subscriptions and retention one way or the other.

So the numbers you quote are a guess of averages, and the initial guess has a major impact on the end-result. Therefore all results afterwards are worthless.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/electronic-arts-reports-q3-fy12-financial-results-2012-02-01

"-- Star Wars®: The Old Republic has generated 1.7 million active subscribers and sold through more than 2 million units in a little over one month."

Massive drop huh?

Just further proof that the naysayers are wrong. With 1.7 million active subscribers (and that is AFTER the first free month subscription was up) this game is doing just fine.

Will it hold? Time will tell. But once again the doom'n'gloom posters are wrong.

For great posterity!

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ea-beats-targets-on-sales-gain-forecast-off-2012-02-01?link=MW_story_featstor

... now has about 1.7 million active subscribers playing the online multiplayer title, which Brown said represents a mix of users who already have signed up for a paid subscription and users who have given their credit cards over, but have not yet had their paid plans kick in.

Emboldened for emphasis.

Edited by Dezzi

No I am not, I am merely stating that besides the "over 1 million" as stated by EA themselves post-launch and the "over 2 million" being stated now together with the "1.7 million" we also have of this moment we don't have any other information.

They could have theoretically sold 1 million extra before 1st of January and nothing else since. Or they could have sold all those 1 million after the first of January as your minimum number also shows.

So with the numbers we have right now the only thing we can say for certain is that they have a "launch" retention, as you call it, of anywhere between 41% and 85%. That is not very accurate, and therefore I call against any judgements or opinion to be made on the numbers we do have as they are simply not enough to make any educated opinion on the state of subscriptions and retention one way or the other.

So the numbers you quote are a guess of averages, and the initial guess has a major impact on the end-result. Therefore all results afterwards are worthless.

Sure.

But we all know the game didn't sell 100% of it's 2 million copies before Jan 1st. AND we also know the game didn't sell 1 million copies in the first 3 days... 0 copies for the next 8 days... then 1 million in the next month.

We have options.

A) We can put our heads in the sand. Refuse to use our brains and shout down anyone that attempts to do so, for fear it might produce results that we don't like.

B) We can use the data we do have. Use our brains and try to figure out a likely range of results and see what they mean.

I've chosen option B... laid out the numbers and invited discussion. Do you think I'm too high... too low... what? For some reason... I can only assume some kind of misplaced fear about how such results might reflect on you personally - you have chosen option A.

Just further proof that the naysayers are wrong. With 1.7 million active subscribers (and that is AFTER the first free month subscription was up) this game is doing just fine.

Will it hold? Time will tell. But once again the doom'n'gloom posters are wrong.

It isn't after the first month is up.

Some % of those 1.7 million are the people that purchased the game AFTER January 1st.

It's kind of a big topic of discussion!

Are you saying that EA is including information from Jan 2012 in their 4th qtr 2011 financial report, which is their fiscal 3rd qtr 2012 report.

The financial report is from FY2012, 3rd Quarter. The subscription numbers are current.

"...we have sold through two million units of the game since December. We currently have a little over 1.7 million active subscribers. The rest have either not started playing yet or have opted out."

http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ERTS/1670728299x0x539144/d895626f-e715-4f00-bd50-31bf095027fd/Q3_Script_-_20_2112_1251pm.pdf

--Star Wars: The Old Republic Has More Than 1.7 Million Active Subscribers that's as of Feb 1st.

This was told to investors on an investor call. They cant legally lie about those numbers without the SEC and Nasdaq De-listing their stock and that wouldn't please investors would it?

No amount of hate you harbor for this game will change the fact that it sold 2 million copies and of those they have 1.7 million active subs as of Feb 1st.

Just wanted to quote this as i see more haters squirm.

SWTOR is aSUCESS gentleman, FACTS OUTWEIGHT BIASED OPINIONS.

You were WRONG, deal with it... and stay clear from a doomsaying carrier, its obviously not your talent. :D

Edited by Nemmar

It isn't after the first month is up.

Some % of those 1.7 million are the people that purchased the game AFTER January 1st.

It's kind of a big topic of discussion!

Even still, that just means more people are buying the game than those who have stopped subscribing. That isn't a negative in any sense of the word.

Do you really think the reason i canceled SWTOR was that it has a bug or two?

I was at original WOW release as well, so i cant say i am a WoTLK or even Cata boy that doesnt understand.

Ok here are some things to consider as points that drove me off.

Game is dead at 50. People sitting on fleet and wont do anything. THIS IS AFTER as you say 1 MONTH !!!!! :eek: I mean if it was after 7 years as most people bashing WOW i would understand. In WoW we had 7 !!!! years to do all crafting, all exploration, all boring and tidious stuff and still, there is some interest to some that stayed (i didnt stay in hope Rift would be new, it wasnt)

Maintenance windows merged and we lose a day every week in EU, no reply from BW. Yes i play day, my business if i have no other life. I am a VAMPIRE!

Lag due to the games design, ask around, you will see many have this issue. NO ITS NOT OUR PC! :p

Issues with game playability cause they design doesnt allow skills to be used correctly.

Global Cooldowns dont work properly

No viable end game

Game is Single player design NOT MMO (Cant for the life of me see how most people defending this game cant see this :S )

The above are BASIC and important things, not minor bugs that can be patched.

Also if TSW is also a fail after launch then i will not play it for long either. But i gave SWTOR as fai chance or 2 months AFTER release (which included a beta ;) )

I will do the same for GW2 and TSW. Whichever company delivers gets to keep me and by that my money :)

You sure you was on WoW release?

Since you complaine about how this game is at lvl 50 i must say i really doubt you where in WoW release not many game in MMO history have had a crappier launch then WoW lol

A short list to remind you

Servers were down for days at a time

Players couldn’t loot

Insane serve lags

And lots more you can search for it if you want to be reminded :D

And for lvl 60 to do in earlie days of WoW well it was not much if you wasn't a hardcore player

SWTOR is a sucess gentleman, FACTS OUTWEIGHT BIASED OPINIONS.

You were WRONG, deal with it.

Right. I'm not a doomsayer, but you have to realize that the 1.7 million figure is not a measure of the game's success. In fact, it's neither a sign of success or failure at all.

It simply shows that the game has followers. We'll know better in a few months.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ea-beats-targets-on-sales-gain-forecast-off-2012-02-01?link=MW_story_featstor

... now has about 1.7 million active subscribers playing the online multiplayer title, which Brown said represents a mix of users who already have signed up for a paid subscription and users who have given their credit cards over, but have not yet had their paid plans kick in.

Emboldened for emphasis.

Of the 1.7 million, "most" of them are paying. What does that mean?

Right. I'm not a doomsayer, but you have to realize that the 1.7 million figure is not a measure of the game's success. In fact, it's neither a sign of success or failure at all.

It simply shows that the game has followers. We'll know better in a few months.

Emboldened for emphasis.

Of the 1.7 million, "most" of them are paying. What does that mean?

The nile is not just a river in egypt.

The true test will be if SWTOR can HOLD the active subscriptions.

Plenty of MMOs had good launch numbers but three to six months later were struggling.

-k

Yes, we know.

Its the first month, then its the 2 month cards, then its the 3 month... etc.

Do you ever learn?

Actually you have a lot to learn.

The figures for the subscriptions and sales were explicitly stated in the press release to be as of a little over a month after launch. The financial statements were as of 12/31, but companies normally provide current operating statistics in financial press releases as well -- this is normal and standard practice.

It was never "explicitly" stated to be after launch. You just assumed that. Where does it say after launch? You forgetting that the game was on sale before the official release date which allowed people to update their subscription. Unless otherwise stated within the report, you have to use the 31 Dec 2011.

SWTOR is a sucess gentleman, FACTS OUTWEIGHT BIASED OPINIONS.

You were WRONG, deal with it... and stay clear of a doomsaying carrier. :D

I don't think anyone is disputing what they said...

What people want to know... is what % of the 1.7 million are still in the 30 day free period. EA would only say that more than half are beyond their free trial.

For whatever reason, EA didn't want to elaborate on that point.

Are... are you serious?

Is this guy serious?

I think you should read the report and you... well i dont think there is anything in the world that will make you see it.

The game is a sucess, deal with it. No ammount of "i dont know how to interpret results so hows this" is gonna save you. FACTS, from official sources presented to investors where you can't lie.

There really is no room for the interpretation you're trying to make. Deal with it. Its a sucess. Will it be more of a sucess in the future? that we dont know yet, but right now there is NO denying that it is a sucess. Just a bunch of haters trying to hate, as they always did, based on nothing but their biased opinions and lack of understanding.

It was never "explicitly" stated to be after launch. You just assumed that. Where does it say after launch? You forgetting that the game was on sale before the official release date which allowed people to update their subscription. Unless otherwise stated within the report, you have to use the 31 Dec 2011.

No, the subscription numbers are current.