SWTOR was promising. I liked it untill now.

jordanph

Good post by OP....but I think your comparing apples to oranges if you're not comparing WoW on inital release to SWTOR. WoW has had how many years and millions of $$$ to grow the game?

I compare SWTOR to Star Trek Online at initial release. I would say SWTOR at initial release is ALMOST where Star Trek online was at its 2 year anniversary!!! and in Beta SWTOR was at where STOL was 1.5 yrs into the game.

So IMHO... SWTOR has a leg up... sure if they dont grow beyond the lvl 50 and get more content in this first year...then they will fall behind.

Again just my .02 cents

• Replies 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These children of the new millenium dont understand the need for an MMO to grow. VWoW players, Pre Luclin Everquesters, Ultima Online addicts, will all attest to the ******-ness of their favorites before patch after patch of exciting new content made it what glorious almalgamation it was at its decline. After all, those are the games we are comparing the new releases to, right?

I'm glad the children of the new Millenium know the difference between 'to, too, and two'... Well, at least some do.

Edited by Proto

Good post by OP....but I think your comparing apples to oranges if you're not comparing WoW on inital release to SWTOR. WoW has had how many years and millions of $$$ to grow the game?

I compare SWTOR to Star Trek Online at initial release. I would say SWTOR at initial release is ALMOST where Star Trek online was at its 2 year anniversary!!! and in Beta SWTOR was at where STOL was 1.5 yrs into the game.

So IMHO... SWTOR has a leg up... sure if they dont grow beyond the lvl 50 and get more content in this first year...then they will fall behind.

Again just my .02 cents

You can take your 2 one hundredths of a cent and go home! ;)

I played WoW at first release and have many fond memories and many bad memories of that time. Much like this game.

The difference between the two is the level of expectations.

I got tired of raiding in WoW. My guild had a "core" raiding group, and you'd only be invited if someome dropped out. Then you'd get panned for not knowing the fights.

Left the guild, soloed to 85. Left it at that.

Edited by Grimsheeper

haha are you kidding?

theres no point in doing half of the stuff on your list. and the rest of the stuff is boring after you do it once. Admit it there's no content in this game. We don't want a million different operations or flashpoints. We want more sandbox to fill the void of doing the regular stuff.

Curious why is there no point in doing it? And why is it boring after doing it once?

If you have a well thought out and logical reason why there's no point and why it is boring in SW:TOR and not in (since we've been using it as our example for this thread) World of Warcraft I'd gladly acknowledge your point.

My reason for doing it is NOT for the carrot but for the enjoyment of it. I do it again because I enjoy it. These are MY personal reasons. Why should ANYONE? Well to each their own however they provided these things for players to do so you cannot say there's nothing to do. People are asking for a dueling area but there's a whole Free For All PvP zone for crying out loud. They want to find players for flashpoints or raids yet they prefer to ONLY spam general chat and not ALSO flag themselves LFG and set a comment.

Bottom line people will say whatever they want to try to validate their point. You can say the same thing about my post. However it is MY belief that a lot of people just wants everything now then gets upset when they get it.

Edited by DarthKhaos

I never played WOW but I did play SWG way back when and still have toons in EVE but haven't logged in for some time (SWTOR/BF3).

OP has some points I agree with, Im not totaly bored ingame thats for sure but I'd like some options to the daily endgame we are faced with.

I'd love to utilize all these other awesome planets and open up more freeworld PVP with rewards (valor and so on). Bracket the levels accordingly so us lvl 50s arent out farming lvl 45s. Just adds an element of chance to the scheme of things.

That ofc wouldn't fix the fact of faction imbalance but still gives peeps other places to go and adventure a bit no?

Love it when people compare features of SW:TOR with features of WoW that were added like 2 or 3 years after the initial release of the game. How can you possibly compare that? Let's wait for this game to develop for 2 or 3 years and see what they added.

Love it when people compare features of SW:TOR with features of WoW that were added like 2 or 3 years after the initial release of the game. How can you possibly compare that? Let's wait for this game to develop for 2 or 3 years and see what they added.

This is actually the truth,dont hang me but i think i remeber alot of beta testers and vanilla gamers(myself included) of wow played around with thier lvl 60 toon for more then a year before it bloomed up.Let the game grow see what happens the jurdge

This game would at least be tolerable with a dueling area

there is pretty much nothing to do after you become a battlemaster other than leveling an alt(which still feels like a waste of time)

Currently this game has basically no area where level 50s can chill and relax in one area that is specifically meant for that.

This game has a lot of potential, but as of now. it needs something new

Then convince people to go to the duelling areas that are in the game and participate in them?

Give us some examples of these "lvl 50 chill and relax zones". I'd really like to know what exactly you're talking about here.

AHHA FAIL

I will be the first to admit that the space combat in The Old Republic leaves a lot to be desired, but it should still be applauded for what it achieves

lol.. fanboy site .. what a fail

Yeah, because only a fanboy would have a different opinion than you. Clearly you, random forum guy, are the standard of all ideas, and what you believe to be true is pure and simple fact.

FYI, that was sarcasm.

Edited by Jxspyder

I think the only answer to boredom is a radical change. A Sandbox Game could be the solution (like SWG f.e. but with the actual tec...). Im curious about Archeage.

If this is your answer, I'd suggest looking for a new game. TOR isn't sandbox, nor will it be made in to a sandbox.

Actually its getting closer to the 2 month mark...will this be the excuse in March? Oh the game has only been out for 3 months, then 6, a year, so on? Please enough of that already its getting old. The game has problems just admit it already.

It is getting closer to the 2 month mark. And we've seen a constant stream of updates to fix things and add polish. We've already seen content updates, giving us more content to play. And we know they're working on improvements/updates/new content as we speak.

Aside from the fact that you have no idea how development works, what more do you want?

Edited by Jxspyder

The economy will never develop itself without the much called for GTN adjustments. Right now it's not encouraging people to spend time on the GTN. Without a direct search, it's a tedious time consuming process no one with a sane mind is willing to engage in.

Agreed, it definatly needs streamlined and better options to see what the going rate for items are.

haha are you kidding?

theres no point in doing half of the stuff on your list. and the rest of the stuff is boring after you do it once. Admit it there's no content in this game. We don't want a million different operations or flashpoints. We want more sandbox to fill the void of doing the regular stuff.

Based on your judgements here, there's no point in doing any content, in any MMO, once you've done it once.

YOU want more sandbox. Not everyone does. Hell, not even everyone who's in this thread complaining about lack of content wants more sandbox.

Yeah good point. I keep forgetting that it juuuust came out.

Im ok with a wait I guess.

I imagine they are doing the bugz run alot currently and from the looks of it have plans to add more content over time.

Yeah good point. I keep forgetting that it juuuust came out.

Im ok with a wait I guess.

I imagine they are doing the bugz run alot currently and from the looks of it have plans to add more content over time.

They're doing both. They have teams doing bugs, and teams doing content. That's why they've already dropped new content, and introduced bug fixes at the same time.

Hello

I got to level fifty about one month ago from now and I couldn't stop bragging about how amazing this game was. I was on these forums daily trying to fight away the people who hate this game and making suggestions for end game. Quite simply you can call me blinded and obsessed. I couldn't face denial that this game actually is bad.

Here I am now then telling you why I dislike the game and seeing if I can relate to those who back up this game that had promise but has lost it.

1) PvP:

PvP was promising. Huttball was new and enjoyable (imo) and the other two warzones were attractive and easy to get used to. However after playing these same three warzones over and over with no differentiation is a drag. Especially having to get to valor 60 for the best gear simply either farming rare empire kills in illum (I say rare because each one I attack has 5 people on back-up behind them) or farming those three warzones alot!!

"Why can you not play this game just because you enjoy playing?" I did enjoy playing but come on, be logical. Doing the same three things over and over simply doesn't maintain it's excitement.

2) PvE: Just flashpoint after flashpoint and the only reason to do it is for the gear piece at the end to be traded for columi. No decent gear any other way. Flashpoint drops were terrible. Took forever to find a full group even tho its only 4 man. No reputation gains to buy gear from reputation vendors etc. Just a boring one way street.

The reasons behind why WoW was enjoyable with PvP

• Dueling in durotar/elwynn added competitiveness against own faction. Cannot happen here because there is no dueling area within 10 seconds from the main part of the fleet without going through a loading screen.
  • Arena. Yes arena added excitement to PvP and added competition. I enjoy competition and therefore is why SWTOR has lost its edge for me. No matter how much you hate arena it is still better than anything SWTOR has to offer at this moment. It consists of rewards if you are good and is not dependant on others. It feels personal to you making a team. Just endless hours could be spent trying to increase rating and the feeling of winning was great.
  • Ratings for arena and battleground groups. Added competition and elitism. Made the community thrive in a bad or good way. Depends how you think about it.
  • Battleground were alot larger than SWTORs and added an MMO feel to it. Mounting included.

The reasons behind why WoW was enjoyable with PvE

• It didn't just involve token rewards from dungeons. The actual gear from dungeons was useful. Made people have a sense of excitement when killing a boss waiting for loot to drop. Wasn't free access to token gear at the end of each dungeon.
  • The token grind for gear that was worth XXXX amount of tokens wasn't long. It was only 2 weeks of lock time or so. Compared to SWTOR this is short.
  • One of my favorite features of WoW when it was in WoW was the daily heroic where you had to kill a specific boss in a specific dungeon.
  • Dungeon finder was easy to use and using it gave rewards.

The reasons why WoW was enjoyable

• Community was larger and auction house was thriving. Had an actual economy. Felt good.
  • Events that took place when events took palce in reality. E.G christmas events that gave you decent rewards from doing christmas stuff or valentines day etc etc.
  • You could re-do you characters hair style at the barbers.
  • Professions felt great once they were leveled to the max. Felt like you achieved something.
  • Fishing, Archaeology, First aid etc
  • You could attack the enemy cities. Also attack towns and cities alone as long as you avoided elites because guards were only normal mobs. In SWTOR guards are champions for most places.
  • Flying mounts
  • Quick travel with portals.
  • Daily quest zone had dailys close together and it interacted with opposite faction. So it could also be pvp. Zones were small and easy to complete. Not a drag. Illum daily area doesn't have much zones shared with imperial and is quite the drag in illum.
  • Guilds had reputation/amazing rewards for being exalted with guild. Heirlooms to level alts with. Mounts etc.
  • The ammount of gear varied massively and it wasn't allways the vendor gear that was the best. Unlike SWTOR where you can only rely on vendor gear.

The reasons why Rift was enjoyable for me (I played no part in pvp so I have no idea what it is like)

• Frequent world events / updates. Rifts opened and invasions happened where community would group up.
  • Zones were shared with opposite faction at higher level instead of split into two halves.
  • PvE gear was aquired only from bosses. Vendor gear was not necessary the best gear again. Also crafted gear was good and there was crafting daily/weekly.
  • Crafting was updated frequently
  • Training dummys
  • Multiple currencys from rifts. Allowed purchase of gear that could be used at end-game level.
  • Reputation mounts.
  • 10-man instances were completely different to 25-man. 10 man rifts were available and 5 man.
  • two tiers of dungeon at launch.
  • and more!

Best of luck in your journey where ever you heading.

*Subscriber plays nonstop since beta, rushes to end game with one class, QQs and "quits", all while ONE FRIGGIN MONTH AFTER RELEASE!*

What do you think would have happened to WoW in it's first month of release if everyone had your mentality?

THE GAME IS A MONTH OLD. JESUS CHRIST PEOPLE!

Edited by rakuenCallisto

You're right people should compare TOR with @ launch (among others features):

AoC: Better body customization, good dialog lines, innovative combat system, great graphics, less limited UI...

Lotro: Better crafting system, voiced over epic quests, seemless world, very solid game engine, really nice graphics, mostly bug less...

Rift: Better UI, good engine, great talent tree system, seemless world, good graphics, Rifts, world PvP, exploration, gear dyes...

This guy clearly had no life...

But cheers for the constructive critism for Bioware I hope they actually listen.

I do think PVP atm is a bit messy with no level brackets etc but once Bioware hurry the fork up and release SWTOR everywhere in the world population on servers will jump.

This guy clearly had no life...

But cheers for the constructive critism for Bioware I hope they actually listen.

I do think PVP atm is a bit messy with no level brackets etc but once Bioware hurry the fork up and release SWTOR everywhere in the world population on servers will jump.

Ya cuz right now theyt are dying

*Subscriber plays nonstop since beta, rushes to end game with one class, QQs and "quits", all while ONE FRIGGIN MONTH AFTER RELEASE!*

What do you think would have happened to WoW in it's first month of release if everyone had your mentality?

THE GAME IS A MONTH OLD. JESUS CHRIST PEOPLE!

There is nothing hardly to do at end game. I sure didnt rush there myself but here I am and its rather lacking. Leveling speed was really to fast, one of the fastest I have ever played on a new game.

You're right people should compare TOR with @ launch (among others features):

AoC: Better body customization, good dialog lines, innovative combat system, great graphics, less limited UI...

Lotro: Better crafting system, voiced over epic quests, seemless world, very solid game engine, really nice graphics, mostly bug less...

Rift: Better UI, good engine, great talent tree system, seemless world, good graphics, Rifts, world PvP, exploration, gear dyes...

AoC: Not even enough quests to get to level cap at launch.

LOTRO: Most boring combat system i've played in an MMO. Hugely disapponting to me as i'm a very big fan of LOTR/

RIFT: Bland world, bland quests, bland sotryline.