No Class is OP...Surge is the problem

Obi-Rev

Looking at how a number of players who are at the butt end of being called op, its appears they all have the same thing in common....surge and alot of it.

This being said I personally believe now that alot of the classes are fine and balanced...( I play a 50 Sent. so I don't wanna hear any "go play this QQing") The problem is surge, and that some classes have alot of it on their gear.

If you don't believe me, look at it this way....when leveling and doing pvp were you ever 3-4 shotted in a WZ? No, because your surge rating was maybe at 60%. These guys who do insane numbers on the damage board stack surge on their gear to cap at 80-100% surge (with relic).

So if anything needs to be fixed its not nerfing classes into the dirt, (in my opinion once again) they should address Surge, tone it down or give all classes the exact ammount of surge on their gear ( PVE or PVP )

being able to modify your crit dmg multiplier is an interesting idea and from a player standpoint its a stat to get excited about.. that said there is a reason almost NO MMO allows a stat like this to exist.

It is just too hard to balance and once it gets inflated then its pretty damn powerful.

being able to modify your crit dmg multiplier is an interesting idea and from a player standpoint its a stat to get excited about.. that said there is a reason almost NO MMO allows a stat like this to exist.

It is just too hard to balance and once it gets inflated then its pretty damn powerful.

True story.

i agree, and with the shape of the DR curve, you get ridiculous returns for relatively small amounts of surge, before it starts to level off in the 400-500 range

see here: http://i43.tinypic.com/b8ttvr.png

(disclaimer: not my own work, and i haven't verified its accuracy myself)

look at the surge curve compared to every other offensive stat's curve ... notice anything?

the other part of the problem is there is no counter-stat to surge (or crit % for that matter) ... at least not one available to all classes

for example, in WAR, all classes could spec into (via renown points) reduced chance to be crit and/or reduced damage taken from crits -- these were easily 2 of the best renown abilities because of how out of hand crit damage was ... and it's just as out of hand in SWTOR

all that being said, keep in mind that it isn't just a DPS thing, healers can also benefit greatly from surge/crit ... i'm not sure this changes anything, it just seemed worth mentioning