Ridiculous Time Sinks - Post yours..

Murferoo

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think time sinks are ridiculous.

For example, when I'm out of food, I have to go through the whole process of making a grocery list, walking from my house to my car, driving from my parking stall to the store, actually going down each aisle to shop for what I need, standing in line at the check-out counter, driving home, carrying in my groceries, and putting them in the fridge/cupboard.

It would be so much easier to just have it all magically appear on my counter when I run out of something.

Come on, people. The point of this game is to immerse yourself in the SW universe...and that includes less than exciting travel times via speeder or space ship. If your only goal is to get to Point B or to 50 as fast as possible, then you're missing out on 90% of the game. That's not to say there's much 'game' in the hangar ports and such, but they ARE part of that immersion.

Relax, slow down, take it easy, and enjoy it.

You are making our points for us. This ISN'T real life. We don't want those annoying real-life hassles in our FANTASY.

The planet to orbital station to ship to orbital station to planet, with all the load screens. I don't mind travel times, but I'd rather get on a long flight path and go get a snack or poop or something and come back and I'm there.

Consider that any major airport nowadays has public transportation and/or taxis available, I'm surprised they didn't put a taxi station or bind point right by the hangar bays.

I don't mind the requirement of time, I mind the requirement for interaction while I am traveling around. I like being able to take a break or read stuff or whatever while I travel.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the ridiculous travel. Having played several MMO's this game takes the time waste factor far to far. In swg you merely clicked spaceport terminal and launched your ship, that is when JTL launched.

I will give this a few more months and if some of the nags are not removed I simply will opt to not play. Annoying factors are just that. And after reading these forums I would assume Lucas and Bioware are no different then Lucas and Sony.

Word of advice to Bioware. Many of us had a bad taste with Lucas after the whole SWG debacle, ignore your player base at your own peril.

Typical travel routine:

Goto port, walk to shuttle, click door, launch ship, load, goto ship travel terminal, select planet, load, walk to ship door, exit ship, yet another load, land walk to elevator, load walk to outside . WAY TOO RIDICULOUS (not always this order)

How about, goto spaceport, select the planet you want to goto and click, Also have an option to launch your ship to access your bays etc.

And tbh the amount of credits for many items is way out of touch your just going to make this game end up like wow, credit farming for rl cash.

ALSO while I'm bickering, I am very annoyed that when your companion finishes a task if your browsing the map or Galactic Market it pops the window closed. I swear EVERY time it happens.

I waited a very long time for this game, having played swg from release the CU I really was looking forward to this. I am to say the least very disappointed so far. I thought this would not be the typical MMO designed around time killers and I have to be honest this game is the worst I have seen to date. Leveling is easy I am talking about map design, travel etc...

Time will tell, Good luck all :eek:

This has been a food for trolls post!! Enjoy conformers!!

5 min is your time sink?. Pfft...

Crafting 5 to 6 blue mods for myself and my companions every two levels. 2-3 hours.

Might even be longer, but i stopped counting after the second hour. =/

Edited by Zhijn

I think time sinks are ridiculous.

For example, when I'm out of food, I have to go through the whole process of making a grocery list, walking from my house to my car, driving from my parking stall to the store, actually going down each aisle to shop for what I need, standing in line at the check-out counter, driving home, carrying in my groceries, and putting them in the fridge/cupboard.

It would be so much easier to just have it all magically appear on my counter when I run out of something.

Come on, people. The point of this game is to immerse yourself in the SW universe...and that includes less than exciting travel times via speeder or space ship. If your only goal is to get to Point B or to 50 as fast as possible, then you're missing out on 90% of the game. That's not to say there's much 'game' in the hangar ports and such, but they ARE part of that immersion.

Relax, slow down, take it easy, and enjoy it.

I laughed at your example of this immersion you speak of.

Your grocery shopping analogy most people would consider a chore. A necessary chore, but a chore nonetheless. Not many people enjoy grocery shopping. I want immersion, but I also want to enjoy it.

Also, seeing countless loading screens(hangars entries/exits, ship entries/ exits, lifts, etc..) along the way ruins any immersion that I may be enjoying.

People also love to point out that [another major MMORPG] has loading screens, but those loading screens are because you are leaving one server for another(entire continents or raid/dungeon only servers). Depending on what you are doing, you may not see a loading screen the entire day aside from your initial login.

I don't think a your ship entrance is on another dedicated server here.

Travelling to and from fleet and other planets. The loading screens, the lifts, the space stations, running in a huge space hanger that has zero interaction with NPC's. The only possible reason for all of this is to give the impression that the game is larger than what it actually is.

If I can use a holo thingie to speak to people why can't I be beamed down to the planet from my ship!

How dare they not put everything you ever need in one spot!

:mad:

*shakes Fist*

You have failed me for the last time Bioware

LOL gotta agree here

I read the OPs first 2 posts and just shake my head

FIVE MINUTES to run from taxi stand to upper level of senate building

FIVE MINUTES????????

Did you turn off sprint,

Walk back wards

Go afk for 3 minutes

and then come back??????

Seems like the OP thinks everything should come to him

Id actually love to be a fly on the wall if he ever was forced to play original EQ for a week or more.

I have yet to find a single REAL time sink in TOR!

Quite frankly I think its beyond silly Bioware thought they had to put direct shuttles from planets to Fleets for people (obviously people complained about teh whole extra couple minutes secs it takes to goto ship and and launch to fleet)!

Its funny though, you read about how exploration has disappeared from MMORPGs and here we have someone complaining they have to literally spend 15 - 30 extra secs going to a otherwise unused portion of the senate tower (Which I guarentee you this player never visits or sees with out a quest sending him there).

LOL

Travelling to and from fleet and other planets. The loading screens, the lifts, the space stations, running in a huge space hanger that has zero interaction with NPC's. The only possible reason for all of this is to give the impression that the game is larger than what it actually is.

If I can use a holo thingie to speak to people why can't I be beamed down to the planet from my ship!

errrr

cause its not Star Trek?

just saying

The one that annoys me the most is when dying in a flashpoint and medcenter rezzing teleports you out of the instance ( loading screen ) and then you run back in to rejoin your group ( loading screen ). Frustrating as heck, especially when certain deaths force you to release.

Oh.. and I just had a mission on my Agent that required me to go to Dromund Kaas, run to furthest point in the city from the spaceport, then go to the fleet and immediately go back to the same place I just was on Dromuund Kaas. That was a serious *** moment.

I'm sure someone has already posted this but the straw that broke the camels back for me was the end to Chapter 2 for trooper.

Garza wants to talk to you at the Senate Tower on Corscant. Trudge all the way there.

She sends you back to the fleet. Trudge all the way back.

Guy at the fleet just gives you xp, no dialog. Sends you back to Garza at the Senate Tower on Corscant. Trudge all the way there, again.

Garza gives you end of chapter mission. Travel to mission.

Mission bugs out, bridge drops you to death. Rez in bad place that can't get out of. Blow fleet pass because slash stuck, logging out, other options don't work.

Finish mission and... sends you back to Senate Tower on Corscant.

At that point I was ready to throw my computer across the room. One hour to do what amounted to one mission. :mad:

I'm sure someone has already posted this but the straw that broke the camels back for me was the end to Chapter 2 for trooper.

Garza wants to talk to you at the Senate Tower on Corscant. Trudge all the way there.

She sends you back to the fleet. Trudge all the way back.

Guy at the fleet just gives you xp, no dialog. Sends you back to Garza at the Senate Tower on Corscant. Trudge all the way there, again.

Garza gives you end of chapter mission. Travel to mission.

Mission bugs out, bridge drops you to death. Rez in bad place that can't get out of. Blow fleet pass because slash stuck, logging out, other options don't work.

Finish mission and... sends you back to Senate Tower on Corscant.

At that point I was ready to throw my computer across the room. One hour to do what amounted to one mission. :mad:

This is EXACTLY what happened to me!!! With the exception that even my fleet pass didn't work and I had to get a rep to do something with my character so that I could use my pass. Ended up having to wait 24 hours before I could even play my character because of that little gem of a bug.

Going from one planet to another.... Who came up with the brilliant idea that people need to run through three to five loading screen to get into their ship and then run through 3-5 more to get onto the planet for a total of 6-10 (transitions). Seriously??

Yes this is silly, and yes certain people refered to by a certain catch all name, will tell you this is "immersion".

It isn't, of course, it's an artefact of the story system. One they didn't think through and therefore put in way to get around it in the 99.99% of the time you pass through a travel nexus without a story point happening. :(