Ridiculous Time Sinks - Post yours..

Murferoo

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a problem with your assessment. You are 42, hence, you are still actively engaged in running around doing the stuff you do - once you hit 50 the game changes and you start to really notice these things.

It's like turning the lights on in a fancy restaurant - once the lights come on you see how filthy it really is.

Not trying to be elitist by saying this, but hit 50, play it for awhile, then see how you feel.

Your views are fairly stated, but I disagree on several counts. :)

First, the points I raised all refer to the game as a whole, and are inclusive of Illum. In my first point above, I wasn't speaking about travel in the game for lowbies, but rather how travel works in general. Your argument that you CHOOSE to engage in different activities than I do doesn't have any reflection on how fast you're able to travel from one place to another in-game. I'm talking about how fast you can travel from planet to planet, while you're complaining that the way you play the game requires you to travel a lot. Do you see the difference?

Second, the second point I made above about why travel times shouldn't be too fast was entirely ignored by you, and still stands. The same is true for the third point, in re: comparison to other MMOs; you also didn't reply to that at all. It's meaningful to say, "there's a reason for this, and other games do it too". ;)

Third, to flip this around on you and embellish my first point above, your frustration with the choices you are making in game doesn't really mean that the game has design flaws; it could just mean that your choices about how to play are unusual, or are from Bioware's viewpoint not as productive as other choices. I'm not judging here, merely pointing out that Bioware has designed the game to appeal well to roleplayers and casual players. Although my own playstyle tends more to the hardcore, I also see that the VAST majority of people complaining about SWTOR right now are hardcore players. So in addition to saying, as I have above, "the problem isn't really that bad; also, there's a reason for it; also, other games do it", I can add, "also, this design apparently works best for the majority of players, but works less well for members of clearly defined minority groups, e.g. hardcore progression raiders".

All of which is to say, you shouldn't assume that your experiences at 50 are in any sense more meaningful to Bioware than my experiences at 42. That would be an unwise and apparently faulty assumption. :)

During the Trooper story, moe than once, General Garza sends me to the Republic fleet station for some "R and R". This encompases running across Coruscant, flying to the space station, clicking on an NPC, and returning.

I mean seriously, give me a real soldier cut scene of ******s and booze at least.

I also found that strange. There are like thousands of cantina's on Coruscant, but she sents you to the fleet. That old bat is out of her mind.

I love the game. I've never complained. I have multiple characters, none 50. I enjoy story scenes, frequently stop to enjoy the scenery, and don't mind working hard to earn accomplishments. I may even be a fanboy.

But even I think that the run through spaceports is ridiculous. Immersion shouldn't be synonymous with autorunning through staid, repetitive environments.

We have the ability to port from bind point to bind point every 30 minutes. This is great, and well timed.

We can take automated taxi rides. This is great, and encourage healthy breaks for bathroom/snacks/whatever.

But we're forced to endure the spaceport debacle over and over. There is nothing interesting, dynamic, or engaging about it--yet ironically, they're willing to let you fly/port past gales of content everywhere else.

Seriously. Let our hangars have a bind point. It isn't too much to ask.

This game doesnt really have any serious timesinks other than trying to gear up in PvP. The bag system is the most annoying timesink ive faced in a long time- it even beats the SWG Jedi grind, because least then i knew if i grinded all 32 professions id hit Jedi and with luck it would happen before then.

The PvP bag system? I could get bags to infinity and mathematically, never get Champ gear. Or i could luck out and get a diff piece with every bag.

So yeah, only 1 annoying timesink for me.

But we're forced to endure the spaceport debacle over and over. There is nothing interesting, dynamic, or engaging about it--yet ironically, they're willing to let you fly/port past gales of content everywhere else.

Seriously. Let our hangars have a bind point. It isn't too much to ask.

Mmm, reading this reminds me of early SWG. Everyone hated that you had to wait 10mins for a shuttle to leave the planet, but the playerbase turned it into a social function. Doctors would hang out at the spaceport buffing people as they waited in line, people would gather for duels or generally hang out. We made it work.

We cant do that in this game due to heavy instancing. Thats a shame

Your views are fairly stated, but I disagree on several counts. :)

First, the points I raised all refer to the game as a whole, and are inclusive of Illum. In my first point above, I wasn't speaking about travel in the game for lowbies, but rather how travel works in general. Your argument that you CHOOSE to engage in different activities than I do doesn't have any reflection on how fast you're able to travel from one place to another in-game. I'm talking about how fast you can travel from planet to planet, while you're complaining that the way you play the game requires you to travel a lot. Do you see the difference?

Second, the second point I made above about why travel times shouldn't be too fast was entirely ignored by you, and still stands. The same is true for the third point, in re: comparison to other MMOs; you also didn't reply to that at all. It's meaningful to say, "there's a reason for this, and other games do it too". ;)

Third, to flip this around on you and embellish my first point above, your frustration with the choices you are making in game doesn't really mean that the game has design flaws; it could just mean that your choices about how to play are unusual, or are from Bioware's viewpoint not as productive as other choices. I'm not judging here, merely pointing out that Bioware has designed the game to appeal well to roleplayers and casual players. Although my own playstyle tends more to the hardcore, I also see that the VAST majority of people complaining about SWTOR right now are hardcore players. So in addition to saying, as I have above, "the problem isn't really that bad; also, there's a reason for it; also, other games do it", I can add, "also, this design apparently works best for the majority of players, but works less well for members of clearly defined minority groups, e.g. hardcore progression raiders".

All of which is to say, you shouldn't assume that your experiences at 50 are in any sense more meaningful to Bioware than my experiences at 42. That would be an unwise and apparently faulty assumption. :)

Ok, well said and I concur on all points. Far be it from me to judge others play styles.

With that said, I think very few would disagree that the design of the orbital stations to get anywhere is unnecessary and highly annoying. Frankly, I don't travel as much as I would and wind up just chatting or waiting for a P V P match because I find the space travel portion annoying. If someone doesn't find it annoying (likely the first 20-30x) - than they have rocks in their head. But - maybe they don't.

Psst... (whisper)... they have rocks in their heads!

I know this only happens once per character but after a few times it got annoying. At the end of chapter 1, you are sent to the fleet to 'talk' to one npc that doesn't even have a dialog for you. If you 'emergency fleet pass' there it doesn't count as visiting the fleet so you have to travel all the way back to the planet of origin and then go back to the fleet, just to get a holocall message on your ship anyway.

It happens after the end of every chapter, FYI.

Ok, well said and I concur on all points. Far be it from me to judge others play styles.

With that said, I think very few would disagree that the design of the orbital stations to get anywhere is unnecessary and highly annoying. Frankly, I don't travel as much as I would and wind up just chatting or waiting for a P V P match because I find the space travel portion annoying. If someone doesn't find it annoying (likely the first 20-30x) - than they have rocks in their head. But - maybe they don't.

Psst... (whisper)... they have rocks in their heads!

Heh. The orbital stations... puzzle me, to be honest. I wouldn't shed a tear if they disappeared tomorrow. The only redeeming quality they have is one that almost everyone hates; they slow down travel. Yes, that's a redeeming quality when looked at in a certain light by devs. No, most players don't look at it that way. No, I can't really say that I do, either; I don't think that particular delay is needed or appreciated. :D

Mi biggest time sink is clicking my companion instead of loot, moving two feet to click it again only to have companion move in my way again, turning camera, looting, turning camera around to find my orientation again while cursing companion.

I played yesterday and 25m in I realised all I had been doing is running about for that time. This was a pre-sprint low level character, but the long load times plus travel really are ridiculous. BW need to stop catering to basement slugs who want to burn time.

Game is great. Haven't noticed any time sinks out of what would normally be expected.

I will just say:

Alderaan, organa mansion....takes 1,5 minutes to go from the entrance to your quest giver...luckily you can jump down.

Senate plaza, senate tower...looks great...takes forever to get where u wanna go...bioware said the man story of 1 char takes about 1500 hours. Well, about 500 hours of that time will be spent running/travelling

it's just idiotic

No-one noticed the elevators or the quest givers standing as far inside the entrance to a building as possible, ideally up a set of stairs? (some buildings appear to have 'random corridors' inserted to increase that distance). [ok, post 2 above noticed the elevators!]

But the biggy is obviously the airlock/hangar mess.

Edited by formulaic

The Datacrons. I don't consider +30 to primary/secondary stats to be optional.

SO TRUE, i remember the one in Tattoine, the one you have to travel on the god damn ballon for like 30 mins,not to mention you have wait for it to arrive in the first place. ( And i have heard some ppl saying they make it on the ballon only for it to disappear :( )

terraria is probably my biggest time sink. That game can be somewhat addictive.

Most recently I finished my hallowed set, (armor, excal, repeater, hamdrax, lightdisc etc) the only thing I have left is the nept shell. Going to be a bit because I just started a new map, had to change the time on my computer but I'm going for a really snow filled map. I wanted the christmas lights up, and since santa dies after a certain date ...anyway sorry for the ot post. That is my biggest time sink though.

EQ1 trying for my epic weapon. Corrupted barracuda 3 days camped.

Haha - yes I camped that stupid thing too - nothing even comes close to Everquest up to about the 4th xpac. Despite the time sink - still the best MMO ever and I've pretty much played them all.

Anyway, back on topic - the hangar/airlock thing is pathetic. I might set myself on fire to bring public awareness of it to BW's attention.

Yes - good idea. Going to go buy gasoline.

Goodbye Cruel World!