Ridiculous Time Sinks - Post yours..

Murferoo

On republic..

Having to run from one NPC to one as far away as possible in the Senate Plaza building - total time about 5 minutes of running.

Going from one planet to another.... Who came up with the brilliant idea that people need to run through three to five loading screen to get into their ship and then run through 3-5 more to get onto the planet for a total of 6-10 (transitions). Seriously??

SWTOR is basically a pretty decent game but I would think that 15 years of MMO development could drop some of the more ridiculous time sink requirements.

Going from one planet to another doesn't feel like a journey, it feels like a chore. It's entirely not fun and frankly, just leaves me feeling resentful and tired.

Once we get to 50 - can we have some sort of toggle that just removes that crap? It's not necessary - no - really!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say that my biggest gripe would be in line with what you're saying. Moving at regular speed is too slow in lower levels and having to go through all the hoops to fly anywhere is a hassle and is not fun. It seems like they designed the game to keep most of the quests tightly grouped so that travel isn't as much of an issue, so at least there's that.

I agree, on a whole, it doesn't compare to some old time sinks (Hello EQ 1 for 4 years) - but still - I think perhaps its the space travel that chaps my *** the most - I just don't understand the logic.

For example, I am on Illum at the moment and want to go turn in some quests for my champ bags -

From Central Assault - take speeder to: Shuttle.

From Shuttle to Illum Orbital Station

From Station to Story Phase

From Story Phase to Jedi Airlock

From Airlock to Ship Entrance

From Ship to Deck

Click on 3-4 things to get to republican fleet

Jump down, and leave airlock

Total: 5 minutes, 10 seconds - and thats space barring through unnecessary cinematics.

At this point they get smart, maybe its the insult and loss of 5 minutes of my life - when you leave ship you enter up at the exit of someone elses hangar (Smuggler for me vs. the Jedi one)

By the way, the ride from the speeder to the shuttle is over 2 minutes, 20 seconds... REALLY?? Why is it bringing me through southern assault waypoint first? Ridiculous.

Ok - now if I want to go back to Illum - add a couple more steps. Use your quick travel, save 2 minutes.

Maybe I'm QQ'ing, don't care - perception is reality in these instances, and this is just stupid game design. It doesn't add anything to the game, it just detracts. Not that they will ever respond to this.

Compared to all the other MMOs I have played, this game is relatively time sink free by comparison.

This ^

There are very few true MMO time sinks here. Traveling is a waste of time and somewhat obnoxious but there really aren't a ton of sinks.

I know this only happens once per character but after a few times it got annoying. At the end of chapter 1, you are sent to the fleet to 'talk' to one npc that doesn't even have a dialog for you. If you 'emergency fleet pass' there it doesn't count as visiting the fleet so you have to travel all the way back to the planet of origin and then go back to the fleet, just to get a holocall message on your ship anyway.

Travelling is a terrible time sink in this game because you constantly have to do little updates and therefore cant leave the game to just get on with it.

The biggest time sink thats going to hit everyone is the legacy system which is going to make you level alts on every character slot just to keep up with the top end benefits.

During the Trooper story, moe than once, General Garza sends me to the Republic fleet station for some "R and R". This encompases running across Coruscant, flying to the space station, clicking on an NPC, and returning.

I mean seriously, give me a real soldier cut scene of ******s and booze at least.

I agree, on a whole, it doesn't compare to some old time sinks (Hello EQ 1 for 4 years) - but still - I think perhaps its the space travel that chaps my *** the most - I just don't understand the logic.

For example, I am on Illum at the moment and want to go turn in some quests for my champ bags -

From Ship to Deck

Total: 5 minutes, 10 seconds - and thats space barring through unnecessary cinematics.

At this point they get smart, maybe its the insult and loss of 5 minutes of my life - when you leave ship you enter up at the exit of someone elses hangar (Smuggler for me vs. the Jedi one)

By the way, the ride from the speeder to the shuttle is over 2 minutes, 20 seconds... REALLY?? Why is it bringing me through southern assault waypoint first? Ridiculous.

Ok - now if I want to go back to Illum - add a couple more steps. Use your quick travel, save 2 minutes.

Maybe I'm QQ'ing, don't care - perception is reality in these instances, and this is just stupid game design. It doesn't add anything to the game, it just detracts. Not that they will ever respond to this.

Space travel does my head in. Tedious and pointless.

I know this only happens once per character but after a few times it got annoying. At the end of chapter 1, you are sent to the fleet to 'talk' to one npc that doesn't even have a dialog for you. If you 'emergency fleet pass' there it doesn't count as visiting the fleet so you have to travel all the way back to the planet of origin and then go back to the fleet, just to get a holocall message on your ship anyway.

Agreed, That one was kinda dumb. In a game with such a well thought out story, sending you to a dumb NPC seems funny.

Travelling is a terrible time sink in this game because you constantly have to do little updates and therefore cant leave the game to just get on with it.

Absolutely agree.

The biggest time sink thats going to hit everyone is the legacy system which is going to make you level alts on every character slot just to keep up with the top end benefits.

This is conjecture. Plus, from what we know, the benefits are gained from gaining legacy XP. The fastest way to do that is with a lvl 50 - i.e. not levelling alts at all.

On republic..

Having to run from one NPC to one as far away as possible in the Senate Plaza building - total time about 5 minutes of running.

Going from one planet to another.... Who came up with the brilliant idea that people need to run through three to five loading screen to get into their ship and then run through 3-5 more to get onto the planet for a total of 6-10 (transitions). Seriously??

SWTOR is basically a pretty decent game but I would think that 15 years of MMO development could drop some of the more ridiculous time sink requirements.

Going from one planet to another doesn't feel like a journey, it feels like a chore. It's entirely not fun and frankly, just leaves me feeling resentful and tired.

Once we get to 50 - can we have some sort of toggle that just removes that crap? It's not necessary - no - really!

Really? These are minor compared to actual time sinks.

How many days I spent grinding money in a f2p mmo just to enchant one piece of gear one level (just for it to fail and destory the item).

How many weeks I spent grinding out bloods for several attempts at my hot heart of magic.

How one level takes a solid 120h~ (2-shotting mobs higher level then my character).

Played everquest? Mu Online? Maple story past 70 before 2006? Aion? Space cowboy? Linage? Diablo 2 *99 pre-1.10*?

You: "I have to hold the W button for 30 seconds boo hoo"

This game is faster to cap then Rift/aoc (which is faster then light speed) and you think its too much of a time sink? Really? Even the RNG bags are faster to get gear, what other game that has pvp gear allows you to get T2 gear FASTER then T1, and separating acess to t3(BM) with a very easy to obtain rank.

I think time sinks are ridiculous.

For example, when I'm out of food, I have to go through the whole process of making a grocery list, walking from my house to my car, driving from my parking stall to the store, actually going down each aisle to shop for what I need, standing in line at the check-out counter, driving home, carrying in my groceries, and putting them in the fridge/cupboard.

It would be so much easier to just have it all magically appear on my counter when I run out of something.

Come on, people. The point of this game is to immerse yourself in the SW universe...and that includes less than exciting travel times via speeder or space ship. If your only goal is to get to Point B or to 50 as fast as possible, then you're missing out on 90% of the game. That's not to say there's much 'game' in the hangar ports and such, but they ARE part of that immersion.

Relax, slow down, take it easy, and enjoy it.

Unfortunately, this happens more than once. So far, my Jedi Consular (level 41) has had to do it twice, and my husband tells me that his trooper - about the same level - has had to do it a couple of times as well. I'm not sure if it signals the end of a chapter, or what.

But truly, the biggest time sink other than travel times in LOTRO that I had was crafting - at least this game allows your companions to do it for you.

i bet my guildies it wouldnt take 3 months before people will want instant travel in this game.

thank you op for all the credits i will now collect.

the solution is simple but it wont happen soon since other more important things need to be resolved first.

Most time sinks in previous MMO's were either optional, or fun at first and became a time sink if you wanted to max out your character.

Leveling is quick and easy at first, then takes longer after your hooked.

Raids are fun seeing new bosses, but if you want to get drops and fill out every gear slot, you need to grind it.

Pretty much every grind in other MMO's either started fun or were optional so some people with more time could do them.

SWTOR cuts out the endgame grind, but that cuts out a large group of players that cancel their account and leave Bioware with less money to invest in new content.

How long do you think it's gonna take them to do 8 storylines worth of quests and voiceovers?

I bet it's over a year for any significant story related content unless they just do one story that every class does. By then, most people will be long gone.

Come on fan-boys,...do you really find the need to defend the time sinks?

Is it necessary to compare it to games with even worse time sinks? That's like saying, well this guy only punched me in the face 4 times which is WAY BETTER than the last guy who punched me in the face 8 times.

It makes me want to punch you in the throat.

That would be ok with you right? Clearly you guys are ok with a gigantic load being dumped on your heads in your fervent desire to defend the glorious immersion of the SW universe!!

/shrug

I don't mind some grind, I don't mind things that feel productive - but to spend 10 minutes back and forth for one update or to have an NPC send you right back to where you just came from is bad design. Sorry - get over it.

From Ship to Deck

Correction: Open up inventory. Click on Fleet Pass. Loading screen. At fleet. Maybe 30 seconds depending on your machine.

Can't buy fleet passes?

In a role playing game I have to take my ship (that the game gives me) to whatever planet I want to (I can't walk)? Then there are speeders to take me to specific locations on the planet, OR a fast travel system that can be used every hour?

Wow, MMO's aren't for some people. This games has very little for time sinks, for the love of god, you send your crew out to level your crafting!

Weak

I'd say that my biggest gripe would be in line with what you're saying. Moving at regular speed is too slow in lower levels and having to go through all the hoops to fly anywhere is a hassle and is not fun. It seems like they designed the game to keep most of the quests tightly grouped so that travel isn't as much of an issue, so at least there's that.

Nice sig :D

Last night was the worst actually:

1. Beat Zash on Dromund Kaas

2. Quest orders me to travel to Fleet to meet person.

3. I use emergency fleet pass to go straight to fleet. Fast,right? Think again! The quest doesn't want me to do it that way! I have to actually get in my ship and fly there!

4. Head back down to hangar and get in ship. Watch entire cinematic leaving the fleet. Click the door and see cinematic of arriving at fleet. Quest wouldn't have that either!!!

5. Get back in ship, head to another planet. Immediately turn around and choose the fleet in the holographic map.

6. Go back into fleet and FINALLY meet the random Darth, who says nothing!!! Not a single line of dialog! (and get like 5 XP).

7. Next quest is to go back to Dromund Kaas. Seriously?!

Why did I have to go all the way back to the fleet to click on a person that did nothing, and served no purpose?! And for goodness sake, you better get there the way the quests wants, as opposed to just getting there quickly. I was already on Dromund Kaas in the first place!!!

This all only took about 10-15 minutes, but I just called it quits for the night after going through all of that ridiculousness.

Also, sorry for all of the exclamation points there!!!

Really? These are minor compared to actual time sinks.

How many days I spent grinding money in a f2p mmo just to enchant one piece of gear one level (just for it to fail and destory the item).

How many weeks I spent grinding out bloods for several attempts at my hot heart of magic.

How one level takes a solid 120h~ (2-shotting mobs higher level then my character).

Played everquest? Mu Online? Maple story past 70 before 2006? Aion? Space cowboy? Linage? Diablo 2 *99 pre-1.10*?

You: "I have to hold the W button for 30 seconds boo hoo"

This game is faster to cap then Rift/aoc (which is faster then light speed) and you think its too much of a time sink? Really? Even the RNG bags are faster to get gear, what other game that has pvp gear allows you to get T2 gear FASTER then T1, and separating acess to t3(BM) with a very easy to obtain rank.

so you're saying the previous time sinks in games you've played sucked, so the op has no right to complain??? excellent logic. OK, you like times sinks, good for you, I deal with one all day it's call work, then drive home in traffic, it's so much fun! mmo's should emulate tedious wastes of time as much as possible, that's exactly what I look for in a mmo or any game.

Edited by Sconnoll