Healing questions...macos? - New to SWTOR

lvillanueva

I'm a recent convert from WoW and I've always played a healer. I just started playing a couple days ago and am learning a lot through the leveling process.

My question is, do we have the ability to create mouse over macros or is everything point and 'click'? I'm used to using healing add-ons such as Vuhdo or Clique, etc..., but from my understanding there is none for this MMO. I don't even see any kind of raid frame either.

Could an experienced healer give some advice?

Thanks for the help. Trying to get over my initial overwhelming confusion. lol

For the frames. Go into Settings -> User Interface, and turn on "Use Operation Frames as Party Frames" at the bottom of that window. Adjust your width/height of the health bars to suit your needs. This Ops frame can also be moved around the screen to give you best visibility, and also includes your character in the list (Unlike the party frames)

As for Macros, no, there aren't any. It's click character, click (or hotkey) cast abilitiy, however healing in this game is extremely easy (with the exception of 1-2 fights) at higher levels, and you have a couple instants that will stop incoming damage once you spec into the appropriate skills.

My only beefs with the UI right now for healing are the size of buff/debuff icons, and there's no Target of Target. There is "Focus target" but i don't believe the focus modifier is working properly (at least from my testing) If we can't get target of target, I'd love to be able to focus the boss, and use a modifier (F Key) to cast damage spells. Maybe it's just me.

Thanks so much for the info. I'm a healer at heart, so I know once I get to lvl 10+ (on my jedi), i'll mainly be healing through out the rest of my leveling. So learning how to heal without any help from add ons (curse you wow) is going to be important to me if I'm going to be able to efficient for end game content.

Nope. No macros. You have to do it old school. No more falling asleep while raiding :)

You can swap your party frame to Operations frame in the preferences and also resize the bars for the Ops frame there. I leave my party frame as is because I spend a lot of time grouped with one other person and I need to be able to get to her companion quickly. with a full group of 4 I use the F1 - F4 keys for targeting.

You can also put your shield and heals on teh left bar where they will be near the party or ops frame.

Nope. No macros. You have to do it old school. No more falling asleep while raiding :)

I lol'd for real here at work. But yea, that's about the gist of it...unless you were in a guild that continuously stood in bad...:( Made me work.

So another question, what crafts are best for healers? I always did tailoring and enchanting, but I don't know how that converts to SWTOR. The crafts and gathering skills are way different.

Edited by lvillanueva

I was the raid organizer for a moderate sized semi-casual guild. I know what you mean about getting them out of the fire. I used to call it a dance to help ease the frustration of learning a new fight.

Biochem is pretty much the best all around and continuously useful trade skill. Mostly for the cheap stims and the medkits that heal both you and your companion. It is the only craft that makes consumable items so will still be useful after you have geared up. I went with Artifice for my Sage and Armstech on my Gunslinger. My roommate has Cybertech and Biochem. We make a lot of our mods, armor and enhancements. But once you get the top level mods all slotted … what’s the point in having the ability to make more? They are all viable and great to have for leveling but Biochem is the king of the crafts.

My only beefs with the UI right now for healing are the size of buff/debuff icons, and there's no Target of Target. There is "Focus target" but i don't believe the focus modifier is working properly (at least from my testing) If we can't get target of target, I'd love to be able to focus the boss, and use a modifier (F Key) to cast damage spells. Maybe it's just me.

I'm not sure if I'm reading/understanding this correctly.

But you are able to keybind your target's target (i.e., if the person you're healing is attacking Monster-A, there is a keybind that you can use that will switch from the person you're healing to Monster-A).

I'm assuming this would work in the reverse as well (i.e., targeting Monster-A and then hitting the keybind to target whomever Monster-A is attacking...although I've never tried this).

If that's not what you meant, then if you could clarify that would be great. I'm a full spec healing sage and new to this type of MMO, and I would appreciate anything that could make me a better healer.

You can swap your party frame to Operations frame in the preferences and also resize the bars for the Ops frame there. I leave my party frame as is because I spend a lot of time grouped with one other person and I need to be able to get to her companion quickly. with a full group of 4 I use the F1 - F4 keys for targeting.

You can also put your shield and heals on teh left bar where they will be near the party or ops frame.

Use ops frames anyways and just focus the companion (alt + F) and it'll appear a little above and to the right of your target. I gimp myself way harder from not having the ops frames.