Crowd control aggro especially bad for healers?

Evilspock

Hey folks, I have noticed CC (especially from my healers) seems to build up a HUGE amount of threat. We ran a couple of Hard Mode flashpoints the other night and we all noticed that when I broke CC to grab the next mob in the kill order, that a general attack was fine to get agro on all the CC'd mobs, except for the one the healer had CC'd. It became my practice to taunt the mob first and then break the CC to avoid her getting hit a couple of times.

It was not a big deal, but it was noticeable to everyone. Anyone else notice this? Its almost as if her healing was counting to its agro toward her. I swear the agro in this game is screwy. >_<

Hey folks, I have noticed CC (especially from my healers) seems to build up a HUGE amount of threat. We ran a couple of Hard Mode flashpoints the other night and we all noticed that when I broke CC to grab the next mob in the kill order, that a general attack was fine to get agro on all the CC'd mobs, except for the one the healer had CC'd. It became my practice to taunt the mob first and then break the CC to avoid her getting hit a couple of times.

It was not a big deal, but it was noticeable to everyone. Anyone else notice this? Its almost as if her healing was counting to its agro toward her. I swear the agro in this game is screwy. >_<

Aggro from healing built up until the CC broke? That's all it can be I would think since a healers CC doesn't inherently generate more aggro than a non-healers.

Does the healer have a debuff attached to their CC? It's something I noticed on my Operative; if you spec for Sedatives then you'll sometimes get aggro when Sleep Dart wears off even if you've never been in combat (e.g. you've been in stealth the whole time). Might be a quirk to do with that.

What you're seeing is aggro built up by healing that is going on while the battle ensues. This may not necessarily be contributed by the healing that is happening via the CC itself. I can't verify this but it is a possibility.

However, that aside...

Healing, unlike damage, is a global contributor. What that means is that every mob on the board (read, within aggro range) has their threat table modified by healing that is done. As opposed to damage which is a target contributor and not a global contributor. So, let's say that your mob has been CC'd for about 1 minute. Let's also say that you as a healer are doing about 100 HPS.

That means by the time the mob has finally broken CC you, as the healer, have contributed 3,000 threat while your tank and DPS have contributed zero threat so you are #1 on the threat table atm. In order for your tank to reacquire aggro without popping a taunt he would have to contribute 3,300 threat and that's assuming your healer does nothing but stand there. Any healing or damage done on your part increases the threat the tank has to contribute in order to reacquire aggro.

This is why breaking CC on a long term CC'd mob can be a breaking moment for a party that is already pushed to capacity. Without getting into more math I'll just say that the best thing your healer can do is ensure that he remains outside of melee range of the CC'd mob (i.e. 10m+ away) because this has an effect on how long it will take your tank to solidify aggro and make sure to remind your tank that any mobs that are CC'd need to be immediately taunted after CC is broken so game play continues smoothly.

There's nothing wrong, this is how the game is designed to function. It adds more complexity to any given encounter.

Edited by Gankstah

CC healing causing aggro was (supposedly) removed in the Rakghoul patch a couple weeks ago.

I'm generally the one that CCs targets in my group and the tank seems to be able to grab aggro pretty easily once it is broken.

There's nothing wrong, this is how the game is designed to function. It adds more complexity to any given encounter.

Hm, thanks for the feedback. I am guessing it as you suggest, but it -seems- that even with impressive DPS and going after the healer's mob as the first CC broken it -still- takes a lot more (short of a taunt, which as I noted, is what I am doing now) to establish aggro on the healer's mob when compared to other CC'd mobs.

Thanks again!

i wonder why damage isnt universal threat, shoulndt it make sense for all mobs to see "oh hes really hurting my mate there need to kill him asap"

why is it just healers who get "that 1 is healing, nevermind those who actually hurt us" :)

If the OP is describing the situation correctly, then the global healing threat should have applied to the mobs CCed by other players. We haven't really explained why it seemed that the healer CC'd mob behaved differently.

when I broke CC to grab the next mob in the kill order, that a general attack was fine to get agro on all the CC'd mobs, except for the one the healer had CC'd.

There shouldn't really have been a difference between the mobs CC'd by the healer and the mobs CC'd by other classes.

What is perhaps more likely, is that the OP left the healer CC'd mob till last. The last CC that you break will have built up the most threat towards the healer from the global healing threat and so will be most difficult to gain aggro from.

Trying to be sure that you have your Taunt off CD when you're going to break the last CC in a group makes a lot of sense, as a result. But whatever tactic you use, it's worth being aware that when you have CCed more than one mob, the healer is increasingly more likely to get aggro as you break them.

X

If this is a consistent problem, have your healer use his/her threat drop when you break the CC. I believe all the healing classes have a threat drop ability.

I'm a healer and have noticed this issue a bit, but not generally found it to be a big problem. My assumption has been it is because I'm CC'ing before the pull, so the initial pull aggro from that mob goes to me. Along with, I imagine, accumulated healing aggro as others have suggested.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.