How will the new PVP Ranking System Work? Speculation inside...

inseeisyou

Hello. For those of you who are unaware, in the recent trailer

"Coming up in Star Wars: The Old Republic" James tell us that an upcoming feature for PVP players is:

"The ability to rank themselves to see how they are doing against other players."

I'm curious how this system is going to work. As a disclaimer I tried to forum search to see if there was another thread about this and I couldn't find any. I also don't believe we will get any official answer until the system is released or very close to release. We can still discuss and speculate however.

These are just a few of the ways I could see such a system working. I'm not ENDORSING any of these ideas per se, but just recognizing them as a possibility.

1. W/L ratio
  2. Average medals per match
  3. MVP votes
  4. Valor ranking
  5. Seperate rankings for a variety of categories, Damage/Healing/Protection etc...
  6. Some combination of the above, with the factors possibly hidden and simply rank shown

Personally I prefer whatever model will promote team play in warzones and completing objectives. In some ways a rank which incorporates many hidden factors is best because it prevents players from attempting to game the system and simply encourages good play.

My fear of a W/L ranking is that no one will queue for casual games unless their premade is online. This could of course be mitigated by having ranked and un-ranked games. Likewise, ranking players solely on Valor would not be much of a ranking system as it would favor grinders and players who had more free time.

Also a big question is will the rankings be cross faction or not?

TL;DR: What ways do you see a PVP ranking system work and what do you like/dislike about them?

Edited by inseeisyou

Until I read the quote in the OP I'd always assumed that "ranked PvP" meant on a team basis - much like how Arena/RBGs work in OMG THAT OTHER GAME.

If it's an individual score then I'm not so keen - it'll simply lead to an even greater emphasis on individualistic play, to the detriment of the team and the map's objectives.

Of course Arena and Rated Battlegrounds do have a personal rating, but that's used solely for matchmaking purposes - your team rating is the thing that counts for end of season rewards, etc.

Something which strictly enforces only 8-person premade vs 8-person premade, who must all be under the banner of a pre-named team, would be great fun I think. If it's just about who can farm the most medals (spoilers: it's not healers) or who can ninja the most killing blows or whatever then... ungh, no thanks.

Until I read the quote in the OP I'd always assumed that "ranked PvP" meant on a team basis - much like how Arena/RBGs work in OMG THAT OTHER GAME.

Well, that is another possibility. I would really enjoy this but how many full teams of 8 person premades would each server really support that would steadily be showing up to games? It would certainly require cross server PVP and even so would exclude a vast majority of the player base would not be part of 8 person premades.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.