You already know that schematic.

Androvis

Greetings-

I know we have a ton of posts about this already on the forums, but this needs an official response. I consider this terrible game design.

For those that haven't read the reverse-engineering guide, each green item that can be RE'ed has 3 blue options, and 5 purple options from each blue. Now if you are RE'ing blues, and know 3/5 patterns, and you crit an RE (learn a recipe), you can receive this error: "You already know that schematic."

This means that you crit, and the RNG (that's random number generator for you non-technical folks) decided that you were going to try and learn something that you already knew. Given the time and materials cost of RE'ing at this point in the game relative to obtainable hardmode/raid/pvp/daily gear, it makes no sense for crafting epics to be this stupid.

Yesterday, I RE'd 100 Redoubt Galactic Combat Modules (a BH tanking earpiece). I knew 1 epic recipe before starting, out of a possible 5. After 100 RE's, I knew 2 more and had 5 (FIVE!) of these errors. We need a definite statement on whether or not this is intended behavior or a bug.

Regards,

Androvis

Edited by Androvis

Happened to me alot this weekend too, trying to get the +shield version of the Str shield for my guild's main tanks... started with green, learned the blues relatively quickly, learned 3/5 of the purples (first one had presence... yay!) and saw the 'you already know this' 3 times. I wasnt keeping track of exactly how many attempts I made, but I went through well over 300 artifact frags and upari crystals.

The 'learned' recipes should be removed from the table of possible recipes to learn from future RE - I'm not a programmer, but this does not seem to be a terribly difficult thing to accomplish. I really dont mind the rarity of discoveries as much, but when they do happen, you should not be trolled with something you already know.

I respectfully disagree. RE is already easy enough, we don't need to start making it easier.

As for the message itself, I would rather see the message and know I had a crit than think I had none. People have submitted tickets and were told it was working as intended.

If the current system as is seems like a waste to you then feel free to get the pvp gear instead, since it's so easy. I'm sure plenty of other people will stick with the crafting.

The whole "you already know that schematic thing" is a total crock of bull. It's Bioware's attempt to give crafting longevity by making it take hundreds of attempts just to get the one item you want. Too bad that only Biochem and Cybertech are the only crew skills worth taking up once you hit 50. The crafting system in this game is a real mess right now, and "you already know that schematic" is really just icing on the sh*t cake. Personally, I'd hit the GTN or start raiding to get your gear. Skip over the crafting BS until they fix it.

I respectfully disagree. RE is already easy enough, we don't need to start making it easier.

As for the message itself, I would rather see the message and know I had a crit than think I had none. People have submitted tickets and were told it was working as intended.

If the current system as is seems like a waste to you then feel free to get the pvp gear instead, since it's so easy. I'm sure plenty of other people will stick with the crafting.

I would rather NOT see that message. It's like picking the winning lottery numbers then learning the lottery has gone bankrupt. I got it three times in a row the other day. It's incredibly frustrating.

As for being too easy, if you're going to increase difficulty then lose the random part. One or the other.

Competing against the RNG isn't difficulty.

The current crafting implementation isn't difficult at all. Now, there are some crafting systems that actually can be difficult. You could actually die crafting in EQ2 if you made mistakes, for instance.

This system is nowhere near "difficult". Frustrating and time consuming, yes. Difficult, no.

It appears quite obvious that the bug lies in RE a Redoubt recipe, as 1 of the 5 purple outcomes from Redoubt is broken and does NOT show up. It seems the game will give this error only on Redoubts, which must be tied into either trying to give you the broken purple version.

Bioware is too busy posting 4 or 5 times about the stupid white lightsaber crystal being in or out of the game to actually post any MEANINGFUL information/plans/feedback/acknowledgements about crafting, the state of crafting, the massive bugs, the gross lack of utility, the broken recipes, the recipes that give 124 rating armor at 50 with a 2x RE compared to level 49 recipes that give 126 armor on 2x REs, the lack of ability to look at a schematic and see if you already know it without opening your book, inability to see your recipe book and look at the GTN at the same time, etc. :rolleyes:

Edited by Pureblade

I agree, this is simply frustrating. It should be fun and challenging at the same time, not challenging and frustrating. I wouldn't be nearly as frustrated if I failed because I used the wrong build or wrong skill rotation because I know that in the future I can do better next time. Right now it is no better than rolling dice that take 50+ minutes to stop.

They have already stated they want some patterns to be rare, in that only a few people per sever may get them.

Except the system does not work that way.

It only makes it progressively harder to learn future schematics as you unlock them, but there are no schematics that are harder to learn by their nature.

I think that that would be referring to the Rakata stuff, but those don't matter here since this is about REing.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I would rather they make it more difficult to learn a new schematic and eliminate the duplication stuff.

With my BH only knowing one purple schematic for a particular blue boot, and getting three "you already know this schematic" announcements seems to go beyond random chance and cross over into "the RNG is being a jerk" territory.

This is made worse by knowing that if I had went biochem, I would only have to unlock a single blue for every green, and a single purple for every blue.

If they do not have to worry about unlocking what they already know, then why should I?

You do not lose hundreds of thousands of credits when getting gear from alternate sources at higher levels. With crafting, you do when what the OP says happens.

I don't understand how losing credits in professions that aren't as viable as the other sources is "making crafting difficult." It only reinforces the problem as we know it: that crafting is a waste of time and resources at endgame. Is that intended?

Edited by Anecdote

I've been RE'ing Critical Force Master Sash all day.

Yesterday, I got the Tempest Force Master Sash [superior], putting me at 1 of 5 possible artifact versions of the blue.

Today, I've gotten "You already know that schematic" three times, suggesting that all three times I got the same 1 of 5.

So, either the chances of learning a derivative are not even 20% each, or I've had a 0.8% statistical chance occur to me today, or something is broken.

No matter how it is sliced, it's really annoying.

I wouldn't mind if there was a public acknowledgement that the derivatives are not even chances -- that perhaps for that particular belt, the chances are 85% you'll get the ever-so-useful crit/shield derivative and 0.5% you'll get the crit/surge derivative. Then at least I could do my RE'ing knowing the futility of it.

But right now, especially given the age of the game, I can't help but wonder if it is broken, which makes all my effort futile.

Edited by Xarq

Greetings-

I know we have a ton of posts about this already on the forums, but this needs an official response. I consider this terrible game design.

For those that haven't read the reverse-engineering guide, each green item that can be RE'ed has 3 blue options, and 5 purple options from each blue. Now if you are RE'ing blues, and know 3/5 patterns, and you crit an RE (learn a recipe), you can receive this error: "You already know that schematic."

This means that you crit, and the RNG (that's random number generator for you non-technical folks) decided that you were going to try and learn something that you already knew. Given the time and materials cost of RE'ing at this point in the game relative to obtainable hardmode/raid/pvp/daily gear, it makes no sense for crafting epics to be this stupid.

Yesterday, I RE'd 100 Redoubt Galactic Combat Modules (a BH tanking earpiece). I knew 1 epic recipe before starting, out of a possible 5. After 100 RE's, I knew 2 more and had 5 (FIVE!) of these errors. We need a definite statement on whether or not this is intended behavior or a bug.

Regards,

Androvis

Presence was my first as well, my second was Exactitude.

It feels intentional. Meaning they knew presence was a crap stat, so it's the easiest to get.

The cost in materials and time is crazy. Unless you have an entire guild contributing materials, it will take a good long while.

And really what else can we craft at level 50? Shields are all we have. sigh.

duplicate need to go its beyond a waste of time and effort its a pure slap in the face. As a customer i feel that im presented a flawed product whenever i see the duplicate message. Its a pure oversight that needs to go. They dont have to up RE chances or whatever, but to tell me they could not eliminate the options from the RNG as you already got them is a joke. But to not only not remove the options from the pool the RNG could pull from, yet instead take the time to program a message to tell me how the system is screwing me over is very insulting.

You do not lose hundreds of thousands of credits when getting gear from alternate sources at higher levels. With crafting, you do when what the OP says happens.

I don't understand how losing credits in professions that aren't as viable as the other sources is "making crafting difficult." It only reinforces the problem as we know it: that crafting is a waste of time and resources at endgame. Is that intended?

I have plenty of credits from crafting and most of the stuff I sell is for 5-8k. Do I burn through a lot of the credits I make? Yep, but still have plenty of credits. Sure, there are easier ways to make creds and everyone has the choice to do that. If you don't like the system or think it's worthless, don't do it.

Crafting is not for people that want to earn credits easily - it's for people that want to craft. If you don't like crafting, DON'T DO IT. It's a video game, not real life, you have the freedom to make that choice.

• 3 weeks later...
Competing against the RNG isn't difficulty.

The current crafting implementation isn't difficult at all. Now, there are some crafting systems that actually can be difficult. You could actually die crafting in EQ2 if you made mistakes, for instance.

This system is nowhere near "difficult".

Frustrating and time consuming

, yes. Difficult, no.

I don't know why you play video games, but I play them for an enjoyable experience, not a frustrating and time consuming experience. I'm not saying it should be easy. Difficult is fine. Frustrating and time consuming is not fine.

This is F)U)C)K)I)N)G HORSE S)H)I)T

I don't know why you play video games, but I play them for an enjoyable experience, not a frustrating and time consuming experience. I'm not saying it should be easy. Difficult is fine. Frustrating and time consuming is not fine.

This is F)U)C)K)I)N)G HORSE S)H)I)T

one more reason i'll be keeping my cash and BW can keep this PoS game.

i'm desperately trying to find a reason to undo my sub cancellation. i really hoped this game would deliver. back to RL for me.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.