An *urgent* fix is needed!

NevesNET

I was in Ilum yesterday soon after the daily pvp quests had reset, so alot of people went to ilum. We had what could of been a great epic pvp battle of 50v50; BUT, we didn't! I look at my FPS meter and it's topping out at 10 and the game is just unplayable, laggy, just plain crappy...

I look at my CPU usage, 19%

I look at my memory usage, 20%

I look at my GPU usage, 22%

My internet is fine and probably better than most, with a Cisco 877 router and 24/4mbit ADSL service with fixed ip on a dedicated line. All other sites, games, downloads, anything you might think of is ultra fast.

Really, that's the best this game can pull from our hardware? If this isn't addressed very very soon, there will be a mass exodus, even bigger than the current one as the game is simply unplayable for endgame pvp in it's current state. I'm not even going to mention the planet itself, as I see the bigger problem in the fact we can't have big groups.

funny you don't mention your computer specs or what graphic options you're running under.......

If you are running everything on high with hardware that isn't up to a good enough standard, then you need to turn down some graphic settings, especially shader complexity and shadows. Those 2 things are the greatest hogs on FPS.

Edited by iResist

I was in Ilum yesterday soon after the daily pvp quests had reset, so alot of people went to ilum. We had what could of been a great epic pvp battle of 50v50; BUT, we didn't! I look at my FPS meter and it's topping out at 10 and the game is just unplayable, laggy, just plain crappy...

I look at my CPU usage, 19%

I look at my memory usage, 20%

I look at my GPU usage, 22%

My internet is fine and probably better than most, with a Cisco 877 router and 24/4mbit ADSL service with fixed ip on a dedicated line. All other sites, games, downloads, anything you might think of is ultra fast.

Really, that's the best this game can pull from our hardware? If this isn't addressed very very soon, there will be a mass exodus, even bigger than the current one as the game is simply unplayable for endgame pvp in it's current state. I'm not even going to mention the planet itself, as I see the bigger problem in the fact we can't have big groups.

It's not just you Neves. Even on low settings with everything I can turn off turned off I lag horribly on Illum.

My computer isn't incredible or anything, but I was able to play WoW and LOTRO without any issues, so I woudn't think it so bad. But for some reason this game just eats my PC alive, especially during PvP-related stuff.

funny you don't mention your computer specs or what graphic options you're running under.......

If you are running everything on high with hardware that isn't up to a good enough standard, then you need to turn down some graphic settings, especially shader complexity and shadows. Those 2 things are the greatest hogs on FPS.

If his hardware didn't handle it, it should have maxed out on something, no? For example if his GPU was too weak he should have had ~100% GPU usage. Not ~20%.

Besides, this is a known problem. Just check the FPS thread, it's over 1000 replies now.

Perhaps you'd like to post your specs on this machine of yours which runs in Ilum 50v50...

Which ISP though? Are you on Fastpath or Interleaved? Does your ISP throttle traffic putting (for instance) P2P on bronze level but gaming on Titanium? Oddly, in the UK the 877 (I use an 877W with upgraded flash/ram for the 15x tree) is a terrible modem, it has compatibility issues with the hardware at the exchange although the latest firmware is supposed to fix that (I found it mis-reported SNR). Luckily I'm being upgraded to FTTP (100Mb to start with going up to 300Mb come April hopefully) but I can't recommend the 877W over a £20 cheap router when it comes to ADSL2 lines.

Ilum though is just a crunch fest, so many players with a bad engine having to drag from the database all the names of people and what they are wearing, what they are doing, it just seems badly optimized, in comparison, FFXI is designed to work with a 56k modem and still show plenty of models with minimal lag.

It's like this for TONS of players, a billion threads made about this already.... the more people on the screen, the less the game uses the GPU. I have 3fps on Ilum when pvping with alot of players. My GPU usage is 7%.

When I'm alone questing or on my ship, my GPU usage is at top and my fps is 100+, cuz no players around...

Every player with fps problem have this issue, the game doesn't use the GPU. NO, it's not that we have slow computers, that doesn't make sense anyway cuz the game doesn't utilize our GPU. PRO computers could have the same problem and they do.

Those people with good fps are lucky the game LIKE their system.

Edited by IronclawFTW

Are you suggesting Ilum mass pvp becomes lag free by running on low settings? rofl

Which ISP though? Are you on Fastpath or Interleaved? Does your ISP throttle traffic putting (for instance) P2P on bronze level but gaming on Titanium? Oddly, in the UK the 877 (I use an 877W with upgraded flash/ram for the 15x tree) is a terrible modem, it has compatibility issues with the hardware at the exchange although the latest firmware is supposed to fix that (I found it mis-reported SNR). Luckily I'm being upgraded to FTTP (100Mb to start with going up to 300Mb come April hopefully) but I can't recommend the 877W over a £20 cheap router when it comes to ADSL2 lines.

Ilum though is just a crunch fest, so many players with a bad engine having to drag from the database all the names of people and what they are wearing, what they are doing, it just seems badly optimized, in comparison, FFXI is designed to work with a 56k modem and still show plenty of models with minimal lag.

I'm currently in Portugal, so I have little options. I use a business only connection with "unthrottled" from Telepac. I found that Cisco routers behave very well here as most of the ISP's infrastructure is Cisco, I also live less than 100 meters from the main relay in the local post office. I had a 837 before this and it was great until ADSL2 was available. I've found that those 100Mb+ connections from your cable provider or telephone company are VERY throttled and traffic is managed heavily by QOS on their end. I had one briefly to try out from my cable provider "ZON" and it was horrid, the more I pulled the slower it got down to a crawl.

This goes along with what I have been saying on the tech forums. Most people have hardware in their PC and they don't know what it does. That's how people end up with 500 dollar routers, 16mb of RAM and performance problems.

SWTOR, like any other game, is a 32 bit program and can only use 2mb of memory at any given time. Any system resource beyond that limit is unused by the game. Just because you have a top GPU/CPU, doesn't mean the program can use it.

This game is an antiquated game technology wise. It does not make use of advanced hardware features and has a bloated program structure that causes performance degradation because it doesn't make use of its address space properly.

This is also why most people who have 6 or 8mb of RAM in their motherboards probably never use more than 3-4mb of it. We in the IT services industry take their money with smiley faces all the time though.

Running 32 bit programs on 64 bit machines only allows you to do more background processes... it doesn't affect the performance of the game you're playing at all (unless you just run a bloated system)

Edited by Laeris

I have a i7, HD5750 overclocked rig. I get 30-40 fps in imperial fleet and 50+ fps in most places in game. But Ilum has a problem. Even running on lowest setting is not working. I get 8-10 fps at Ilum republic base gate (app. 50 people) with max settings, forced LOD. I turned off most of them and got lowest settings my FPS still stays at 10 fps. It has never happened in any other game. I think this game is not designed for crowded areas. :mad: Edited by Jakoben

Its obvious to everyone by this point a team of drunken monkeys could have done a better job coding this game. It doesn't matter how powerful your computer is this game will run like **** as soon as there is any sort of cpu intensive task and changing your settings from high to low isn't going to net you even 1 fps. Three hundred million and they can't even make sure their game is coded properly.

Its obvious to everyone by this point a team of drunken monkeys could have done a better job coding this game. It doesn't matter how powerful your computer is this game will run like **** as soon as there is any sort of cpu intensive task and changing your settings from high to low isn't going to net you even 1 fps. Three hundred million and they can't even make sure their game is coded properly.

Well, in EA's end of year report, they are quoted as spending 380 million USD in 2011 on PR for SWTOR. This figure is in addition to the design cost. If you want to get technical, this game cost around half a billion to put on shelves... all said and done.

This is also why most people who have 6 or 8mb of RAM in their motherboards probably never use more than 3-4mb of it. We in the IT services industry take their money with smiley faces all the time though.

Why would you buy 4GB of ram (or 2 for that matter) at the moment, when the price difference to 8GB is next to nothing (compared to the price of a total build or major upgrade)?

8GB gives you more future scope at a very small price increase.

It would seem silly not too at the moment, back when RAM prices were expensive, fair enough, but unless you're looking for old RAM, it's the cheapest think around these days so skimping on that nets you very little saving.

The range of FPS and latency issues on systems that do not appear to be over-taxed by the game engine (example is the OP, with 20-30% utilization across memory, CPU and GPU) make me think that the problems are either/both with calls into the GPU drivers on the client, and server-side lag issues, either with the network connection or storage I/O with querying state databases.

This mostly seems to affect high-end systems, although low-end users are also reporting issues, and many people have tried dialing their gfx settings down to low and turning off AA and bloom with little or no improvement.

I generally run the game fine on my HP DV8 laptop, but I have the settings on low usually, and just put them up when I want a screenshot :)

This goes along with what I have been saying on the tech forums. Most people have hardware in their PC and they don't know what it does. That's how people end up with 500 dollar routers, 16mb of RAM and performance problems.

SWTOR, like any other game, is a 32 bit program and can only use 2mb of memory at any given time. Any system resource beyond that limit is unused by the game. Just because you have a top GPU/CPU, doesn't mean the program can use it.

This game is an antiquated game technology wise. It does not make use of advanced hardware features and has a bloated program structure that causes performance degradation because it doesn't make use of its address space properly.

Not entirely true. SWTOR is LAA flagged and so can use up to 4 GB of Ram on a 64 bit OS, which it also does. My record was 3.6 GB usage for SWTOR.exe, then it crashed, most likely because it went out of address space and doesn't seem to be able to clean up (memory leaks).

The game has a terrible engine. BF3 on the other hand, shows what is possible today. Even if all 64 players are cramped up in a tight space (think Metro map), the game doesn't slow down much, because it is optimized to the teeth and does use all of the DX10/11 goodies like geometry instancing and so on.

Edited by SentinelBorg

The range of FPS and latency issues on systems that do not appear to be over-taxed by the game engine (example is the OP, with 20-30% utilization across memory, CPU and GPU) make me think that the problems are either/both with calls into the GPU drivers on the client, and server-side lag issues, either with the network connection or storage I/O with querying state databases.

This mostly seems to affect high-end systems, although low-end users are also reporting issues, and many people have tried dialing their gfx settings down to low and turning off AA and bloom with little or no improvement.

I generally run the game fine on my HP DV8 laptop, but I have the settings on low usually, and just put them up when I want a screenshot :)

Doubt it's server-side as that wouldn't have any effect on the FPS client-side. If the server were lagging horribly that would actually let your client handle less info and therefore your FPS would rise. People would pop around in a jerking manner, but the FPS would be good.

I'd guess it's the client that poorly handles the resources that are available.

When you say you "generally run the game fine" is this when questing or when experiencing Ilum PvP of 50+ players?

I have a Asus G73J and have been playing games like Skyrim, BF3 and Dragon Age on high settings with no FPS lag at all. Those games i would think have a way higher demand for anything really than SWtor, but still SWtor barely manages to get a higher fps than 25! In PvP i consider myself lucky if i can get a FPS higher than 10! I've tried all those 'smart fixes' and it doesnt really help at all, though i've noticed that i can put everything on high and have the same FPS as i would have when i put everything on low.

Dont care what the problem is! I know its not my computer and i know that i will unsub if i cant enjoy it due to this! All i care about is that they fix it - FAST!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.