What does [Prototype] entitle?

Jochon

When a piece of gear has [Prototype] in front of it's actual name what does this entitle?

A friend of mine said that it might mean you get a new recipe when you Reverse-Engineer it, but I Reverse-Engineered a purple [Prototype] helmet and didn't even get materials.

The Prototype is just a blue-level item. As with all crafted items and some loot items, there is a chance that, if you reverse-engineer it, you MIGHT get the improved purple (artifact) schematic for that item. At the least, you will get back some of the materials used to manufacture the item, but not all of them (about 50% is the normal level for material recovery, in my experience).

The odds of actually getting the schematic are pretty low, but they are based on a random number generator, so you may get the schematic after REing 1 or 2 items, or you might not get the schematic after REing 400 items.

• 1 month later...
No it is not a blue item thats what everyone thinks when i say it what he is referring to is an item that has [prototype] (name of item) and its purple or dark purple and ive been tryin to find the answer to this question too cause i cant tell if its epic or just artifact, if its a blue prototype item it will just say prototype medpack for example and be in blue with no [ ] symbols around prototype if someone could answer this question i would be very happy lol...

Purple [Prototype] items are loot drops, not crafted items, which have a Mod and Enhancement slot (pre-filled at the time with purple mods).

At this time:

1. Because it is a drop and not a crafted item, you cannot learn any schematics from RE'ing it, although you will still get mats
  2. The Armoring mod is also embedded in the itme but cannot be removed or upgraded, keeping it at the same level

BW may remove these restrictions in future patches.

protos are just blue items. A step above green crap. Your buddy is full of **** about reversing the item to learn the schematics. When you are reversing green items the chance to learn a proto of that is huge compared to learning a proto schematic from another schematic. Will never happen on the first time.

Actually, there's one exception.

Some items are actually prototypes of moddable gear. This is an example:

http://www.torhead.com/item/1nkaSms/prototype-rd-13b-striker-greaves

These will show up (for now) as an item that says "[Prototype] (Item name)" for the title in PURPLE. The item will have a visible mod and enhancement slot, both loaded with purples. (After 1.2, the Armoring slot will also be visible and also will have a purple armoring loaded in it)

They CANNOT be reverse engineered into a schematic, sadly enough.

These can be a nice find for more than one reason. First, it's purple gear. Top of the line for it's level if you leave the modifications in it. Second, you can always strip the mod and enhancement out and fit them into one of your current pieces, often giving your favorite orange gear a nice boost instead.

The only current drawback is that since you can't replace the Armoring slot, the item will gradually lag behind as you level up and eventually become useless compared to an orange piece you can fully refit.

Ive got a prototype armor but i cant use it till i have heavy armor, im on korriban and level 9 and this armor has 109 armor which is great for me atm, but where do i get heavy armor from on this starting planet?

If you're on Korriban, there isn't a heavy armor vendor IIRC. Just medium/light.

(Tython, the Jedi planet is much the same)

You'll be able to pick up heavy armor on the Fleet -> Dromond Kass, or once you can leave Korriban, you should be able to visit the other starting planet (for BH/Agents) and snag some there.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.