Just to summerize: Biochem ONLY skill worth having at 50.

Farbod

I can make Best in slots with Sythweaving. http://www.torhead.com/item/ewUaPQQ/exotech-war-leaders-headgear#created-by

Got the recipe from doing Hard Mode Operations btw.

If i crit and get an augment slot with this and then replace the mod and the enhancement with lvl 58's It will be the best head piece for a sith warrior tank in the game.

Edited by DarthNemis

I can make Best in slots with Sythweaving. http://www.torhead.com/item/ewUaPQQ/exotech-war-leaders-headgear#created-by

If i crit and get an augment slot with this and then replace the mod and the enhancement with lvl 58's It will be the best head piece for a sith warrior tank in the game.

And you can crit craft yourself a belt and bracer - with an augment slot.

Then you can drop synth and get all of the Biochem perks, all the while sustaining all your augmented best in slot crit crafted synth gear - cause hey, only 400/400 are on Bio/Cyber.

Hi my names Bioware - I'm not consistant.

How good do my tears taste?

Edited by idipper

And you can crit craft yourself a belt and bracer - with an augment slot.

Then you can drop synth and get all of the Biochem perks, all the while sustaining all your augmented best in slot crit crafted synth gear - cause hey, only 400/400 to use reqs are on Bio/Cyber.

Hi my names Bioware - I'm not consistant.

How good do my tears taste?

lol thats a really good point.

Cool story bro!

So, you just need to crit craft it.

Then get a better gear then this one.

Remove mods from the BETTER gear.

And put them in this one to make it best in slot.

Ow, and it's bind on pickup.

Something is missing here.

Logic.

Does that helmet have a synthweaving requirement to equip thats been added?

If not then why not level craft the piece then swap over to biochem...if you're serious about min/maxing...and if the content required it...you could pick up belts and relics along the way.

Then move to biochem.

Particular crafting bonuses are terrible in their current incarnation with the possible exception of two classes.

Would it be that difficult to give synthweaving and armoring put an extra slot or two on pieces of armor...whichever pulled the average output numbers in line with biochem. Have artifice be able to place a slot on a weapon....hell they could even add a scope :p.

Or the other route could be taken. And the best biochem buffs could be made available to everyone for a purchase price and the reusable done away with except for the stim.

As well they could be made less time intensive to craft.

There seems to be a disconnect between the developers and the players that come from at least WOW which is going to be one of the larger segments of prior MMO players trying out TOR. It would have taken any player that did hard modes in PVE or played Arena at top levels to see the Biochem in its current incarnation is broken.

If we ignore the stat piece and decide for whatever reason that having one profession be able to effect gameplay and the others not at top levels why not give the armorers, synthweavers, and artificers the ability to affect purely cosmetic changes in armor skins. Make it cost significant resources and be a one time deal. I know that I'd pay for a complete black armor set for example and pay well.

Actually, with Synthweaving as an example, the other crew skills are necessary for getting the absolute best stats. You need to have Synthweaving to make Rakata+Augment gear slots.

Biochem should be last on the list of crew skills for players to learn as you require 400/400 to use the Rakata items. The other crew skills are still extremely useful.

This also MUST be why I sell artifice off hand items for 150K each with augment slots - obviously no one needs them because Biochem R0XRs..... /sarcasm

Or it could be people need them because Biochem r0x0rs ;)

The more people go biochem, the less use the other tradeskills, the better crafter to customer ratio those others have.

That said, this game has gone partially the WoW route. Crafting used to be about just that, crafting, making items to use. But some games got the bright idea of giving crafting some sort of benefit to the user, turning it essentially into a skill to get some stats. And so now, everyone expects to max out a craft skill, not to make items, but to get some personal perk.

And hence the complaints. This tradeskill does something for me in the end game, this one doesn't. If the biochem required items didn't have the biochem requirement, then, like the offhand augment slot item, I could buy it and be equal. But it doesn't. So, to maximize power, my best choice is to buy the offhand item from you, because I can, and be a biochem myself.* Mind you, there'd still be issues even if this wasn't the case. Armstech would still be mostly garbage, for example. But it would mean crafting would be something crafters discussed, not PvPers and raiders.

* Though worth noting that my main is cybertech, focused on selling earrings. So that's a hypothetical me, not the actual me.

Edited by Battilea

Biochem does give the individual a personal advantage, I will easily concede this point. As an artificer, however, I supply my guild and server with much sought after color crystals (+31 crit/+31 endurence in all colors, and +33 power magenta) as well as off hand items for willpower dps and str tanks. I also have the ability to craft Rakata Relic pieces which are better than hardmode EV relic drops. These are self-only and thus could be considered a similar 'perk' to what biochem offers. The only direct benefit to ME from artifice is my relics; the other benefit is that my guild is decked out with highest rank pre-operation crystals and near-BiS off hands for our operation success.

I guess my point is, the other crafting skills, while not granting a direct benefit to the individual user in the form of personal buff/self-only item/etc, do have a place in game, and will likely be brought in line with biochem in some fashion in the coming weeks. There is no reason to jump to the flavor of the month, because in true MMO fashion, balance is in constant flux.

I guess my point is, the other crafting skills, while not granting a direct benefit to the individual user in the form of personal buff/self-only item/etc, do have a place in game, and will likely be brought in line with biochem in some fashion in the coming weeks. There is no reason to jump to the flavor of the month, because in true MMO fashion, balance is in constant flux.

Well, two things about that:

1. The reason posts like this exist is to get Bioware to hurry up and adjust the balance, so that they don't feel like they have to go Biochem.

2. Hitting 400 in the tradeskills that use scavenging is super easy. If you look at bioanalysis, you get a much larger variety of components, making it a pain to get what you want in the quantity you want, it eats up more bag space, and so on. With scavenging, 4 piles per tier. Easy, simple. And the skills themselves are easy to max. Take armortech...make belts that use 2 metal, 2 compounds until it goes grey. Then do a 4/2 type thing until you qualify for the next belt. So, basically, given how easy most are to max, easy enough to switch when the change happens.

Mind you, I do think that those of us who craft to craft, rather than for personal benefit, can do fine with certain things how they are. Cybertech has its earrings and there's the pre-50 market. Artificing has its offhand slots. Biochem has implants. Armortech and Synthweaving can make nice stuff as well, though it has a higher PITA factor than the others. And armstech can make techstaves for companions, plus maybe make some money selling purple weapons.

But the majority of people are not crafters. The fact that I sold 350k worth of earrings last night doesn't matter to them. What matters is they can buy that earring from me for the cost of the money they make from dailies, but to use an infinite use potion or a better medikit, they have to be biochem.

This also MUST be why I sell artifice off hand items for 150K each with augment slots - obviously no one needs them because Biochem R0XRs..... /sarcasm

I regularly sell lvl 48 reusable buff potions for 250k because lots of people don't like to learn the recipe themselves.

I also sell the blue buff potions that last two hours for 35k a pop.

I've made over 15 mil credits in the two weeks I've had bio chem maxed with the recipes I've learned.

Take that artificer!

I learned the fabulous pink light saber crystal recipe this weekend, so nah! (sells for 350-400K on my server). Certainly there is an imbalance, no one's debating that. I, for one, am happy with artifice for now, and will be patient for crew skills to get some more love.

I just don't like the entitled/agressive/offensive attitude some people take towards developers to 'Fix it NOW because I'm special and you have nothing better to do!' I guess I'm just showing my age, because you get more done with a constructive post stating the problem or concern and suggesting an alternative in a neutral, non-inflammatory way. Flaming the devs and making demands falls on deaf ears.

I just don't like the entitled/agressive/offensive attitude some people take towards developers to 'Fix it NOW because I'm special and you have nothing better to do!'

Tell this to any armstech (first you must find any, prob it's only 10 per server left) and he/she will smash your face with a fist. Nothing for yourself, nothing to sell, nothing to do with it. How could a developer fail this hard when balancing things?

well i made 4-5 mil credits with synt...

i think its ok, was really low afford, just buy mats from the market and fill up the stock.

lazy ppl will allways be poor in mmo's

And then you spend it all back buying adrenals/stims/medpacs.

And then you spend it all back buying adrenals/stims/medpacs.

And thus we have an economy! Player made stuff should be > anything the vendors sell. And herein lies the true problem with crafting in it's current incarnation. Best pre-raid gear/supplies/mods *should* come from crafters, NOT vendors and *every* crewskill *should* have something to offer that's worthwhile for endgame.

Edited by Natarii

Does that helmet have a synthweaving requirement to equip thats been added?

If not then why not level craft the piece then swap over to biochem...if you're serious about min/maxing...and if the content required it...you could pick up belts and relics along the way.

Then move to biochem.

Particular crafting bonuses are terrible in their current incarnation with the possible exception of two classes.

Would it be that difficult to give synthweaving and armoring put an extra slot or two on pieces of armor...whichever pulled the average output numbers in line with biochem. Have artifice be able to place a slot on a weapon....hell they could even add a scope :p.

Or the other route could be taken. And the best biochem buffs could be made available to everyone for a purchase price and the reusable done away with except for the stim.

As well they could be made less time intensive to craft.

There seems to be a disconnect between the developers and the players that come from at least WOW which is going to be one of the larger segments of prior MMO players trying out TOR. It would have taken any player that did hard modes in PVE or played Arena at top levels to see the Biochem in its current incarnation is broken.

If we ignore the stat piece and decide for whatever reason that having one profession be able to effect gameplay and the others not at top levels why not give the armorers, synthweavers, and artificers the ability to affect purely cosmetic changes in armor skins. Make it cost significant resources and be a one time deal. I know that I'd pay for a complete black armor set for example and pay well.

Ok you win lol.

Biochem is the only skill worth having at 50 (for your own use), which is why everybody has (or will have) it, which is why it is (or will be) the hardest skill to actually make money on, which is the whole point of tradeskills.

The only saving grace, as others have pointed out, is that so many people either

1. Don't know it yet, so haven't picked it up.

2. Are somehow too lazy to take the time to RE their own stuff and/or sell it.

That being said, this does make the *other* skills very good for doing what tradeskills are supposed to do, making money. Less people doing other skills = less competition = people have to buy from you. At least until they reach the point where non crafted is superior.

Of all the crafters/alts I have so far, the biochemist is easiliy the least profitable. All the others make noticeably more money than they spend on learning. So far the only thing profitable with bio is the implants.

(Note: most of crafting alts are low level crafting alts, so are procuring all mats via missions on the GTN if cheaper. Obviously pretty much any skill is profitable if costs are 0 due to harvesting it yourself... though it's probable for bio you'd probably make more money selling the harvests than actually crafting it into stuff.)

Biochem is the only skill worth having at 50 (for your own use), which is why everybody has (or will have) it, which is why it is (or will be) the hardest skill to actually make money on, which is the whole point of tradeskills.

The only saving grace, as others have pointed out, is that so many people either

1. Don't know it yet, so haven't picked it up.

2. Are somehow too lazy to take the time to RE their own stuff and/or sell it.

That being said, this does make the *other* skills very good for doing what tradeskills are supposed to do, making money. Less people doing other skills = less competition = people have to buy from you. At least until they reach the point where non crafted is superior.

Of all the crafters/alts I have so far, the biochemist is easiliy the least profitable. All the others make noticeably more money than they spend on learning. So far the only thing profitable with bio is the implants.

(Note: most of crafting alts are low level crafting alts, so are procuring all mats via missions on the GTN if cheaper. Obviously pretty much any skill is profitable if costs are 0 due to harvesting it yourself... though it's probable for bio you'd probably make more money selling the harvests than actually crafting it into stuff.)

I buy alot of those blue endurance buff stims everyday for quite the mark up it seems. : /

They are making money.

And thus we have an economy! Player made stuff should be > anything the vendors sell. And herein lies the true problem with crafting in it's current incarnation. Best pre-raid gear/supplies/mods *should* come from crafters, NOT vendors and *every* crewskill *should* have something to offer that's worthwhile for endgame.

The problem is how easy it is to get yourself pre raid gear just by doing your dailies and buying the proper mods. I made about 2 million with synthweaving to fill my coffers before I dropped it for Biochem, because essentially the only thing I was spending the creds on were materials for synthweaving. Sure I don't have that income to rely on (I can still sell my UW trading items), but in lieu of that I have the equivalent of an extra relic as well as an item that grants me bonus willpower and power. The sick gear you can make in all likelihood doesn't balance out the additional stats you can get from stims, not to mention adrenals.

The problem is how easy it is to get yourself pre raid gear just by doing your dailies and buying the proper mods.

That's my whole point - npc vendors should have NO or at least minimal role in the pre-raid gearing process. The best stuff *should* come from crafters, and currently that is just not the case.

My proposal would be to drop the daily vendors down to rank 22 mods at blue quality, and give crafters access to rank 23s starting at green for RE'ing up to blue/purple. This allows some reason to do dailies to get rank 22 blue mods to get you into hardmode flashpoints and maybe normal mode ops, while giving crafters something potentially better to offer the pre-raid player.

Edit: It's occurred to me that Corelia mods currently are offered at rank 22 blue - maybe make daily vendors rank 22 purple...

Edited by Natarii

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.