Think about this

Vitadell

Before you complain about Star Wars: The Old Rebublic and starts comparing it to games like World of Warcraft: Stop for a moment and think about how World of Warcraft was the first two months of release.

As far as I know there was absolutely ZERO pvp th first month before battlegrounds were added, all the gear looked the same and had the design of the current level 10 gear in World of Warcraft now, some classes were able to actually 1shot other classes.. And so on :-)

You can whine as much as you want, but seeing people comparing swtor to wow really frustrates me, considering wow has had over 6 months to improve while swtor has had around 2 months or so? It is just not an valid comparison

Inb4 you come up with reasons like swtor was made in 2011 and can implement similar features as wow: dont you people also complain about other mmo's copying wow?

Edited by Vitadell

Before you complain about Star Wars: The Old Rebublic and starts comparing it to games like World of Warcraft: Stop for a moment and think about how World of Warcraft was the first two months of release.

As far as I know there was absolutely ZERO pvp th first month before battlegrounds were added, all the gear looked the same and had the design of the current level 10 gear in World of Warcraft now, some classes were able to actually 1shot other classes.. And so on :-)

You can whine as much as you want, but seeing people comparing swtor to wow really frustrates me, considering wow has had over 6 months to improve while swtor has had around 2 months or so? It is just not an valid comparison

Inb4 you come up with reasons like swtor was made in 2011 and can implement similar features as wow: dont you people also complain about other mmo's copying wow?

I disagree. Of course WoW was worse at launch than this game; I can remember the amount of maintenances and server crashes perfectly well. However, the MMO market of 2004 isn't the MMO market of today.

I can draw an analogy with cars. All modern manufacturers have made immense efforts to fulfill emission conditions, yet Chinese manufacturers often can not meet these expectations. In effect, knowledge wise, they're thus substandard market wise. That will cost them time to fix, but that doesn't mean I will buy a substandard car for the same pricing (I pay more for SWTOR then for WoW)... and I'm sorry to say, but I find SWTOR to be innovative at some points, but absolutely substandard at other points. Most gamers want a smooth experience with no bumps, but BioWare expects a Linux attitude here... that just won't do when the market offers a 'better' (I've had enough of WoW and got bored of it, but I honestly admit that I admire the cunning smoothness of the WoW trap) experience at a better price.

Edited by Aerevan

You get people that whine and moan with the occasional ***** that TOR is just like WoW, that it has nothing original but they fail to mention the things that could make it original. People asking for Dual spec are asking for it because they have become used to it from WoW and many others that have added it after much complaining. Nothing now a days is truly innovative, its hard to come up with content that hasn't been done already, just something if you've never seen it on TV (Don't think its on anymore) But the show "Static Shock". Look at its story everything, and you could compare it almost to the DOT with inFamous. If you want to complain that something isn't there because it was in another game, or say a game is bad, don't just say its bad, tell them what they could do or possibly add.

This kind of threads have to stop. This particular argument is starting to become rediculous. I still play the game, still enjoy it (most of the time), but i can see that there's much room for improvements. In fact, the following months im hoping that a lot of improvements will be made, that's why i keep playing. And that's what most people that keep playing think too. They could care less about the state of WoW when it launched and its state now. Also, they could care less about the unreasonable complaints trolls make in the forums.

I would advise you to stop reading the forums for the next month - at least the general discussion section :p

Edited by Zangaboing

why did you make this thread? inviting people to vent, but yet saying not too? oookaaaayyyyy...

sounds like your 13. -3 internets for not putting the "as far as I know" sooner in the rant...

WoW didn't have its first BG til 6+ months in. So what. At the time WoW clearly crushed all other MMORPGs regardless. Period.

SWTOR had a monster budget and dev cycle and lots of source material to go on (the biggies Bliz drew from were EQ1, AC, DAoC, Ultima if you must...there wasn't much else). TOR had WoW, Rift, EQ2, LOTRO, AC, all the biggies WoW drew from, and a whole lot more.

TOR has some cool different things going on but largely they're not reinventing the wheel, and in many spots they have horrifically failed to even copy the wheel. Instead of copying major game features that have evolved over the years, they instead far too often went with implimentations from the days of WoW release or earlier.

Stuff like - no slick sellback to vendors (for commendations or what you just spent), no UI customization, unsophisticated vanila NBG loot rolling with no trading within group, looting of same faction nodes/chests (early exploit in WoW that was changed pretty early..did BW learn something from 6+ years ago...no), zero LFG tool, missing basic features from 10 years ago like combat log and target of target. The list goes on and on - this is very basic stuff that's either missing entirely or that was implimented like they've never seen many other MMORPGs improve on this stuff over the years.

I'm enjoying TOR and there's no doubt that a TON of time was spent on content. Anyone who's leveled to 50 or at least past the less interesting noob content should be able to see that TOR has ridiculous amounts of content.

But, given the dev time and budget I'm kind of irritated at how many glitches, very small things that were reported and never fixed in beta, missing basic features, and the backwards implimentations of lots of features that have evolved considerably in many other big MMORPGs.

It seriously seems like BW is in a bubble - they didn't listen to beta testers, they're oblivious to what's gone on in the big MMORPGs over the last 5 years, and they give out little info and lots of spin.

I do hope BW continues to ignore 90% of what gets complained about and/or requested on these forums though since many players are more out of touch than BioWare.

Before you complain about your $50,000 car not having airbags, just stop and think. The Ford model T never had airbags when it was released.

Ya, checkmate haters.

But if you keep paying them more every month eventually they might give you an airbag you spoiled brat.

They should implement more forums like:

"you cant compare SWTOR to WoW" forum

"Doomsday, SWTOR sucks" forum

"SWTOR should be more like WoW" forum

"SWTOR should be more unique" forum

"SWTOR is the best game ever" forum

So that these threads dont end up a zillion times EVERY DAY and the general discussion might actually be worth reading...

Ill go post that in the suggestion box now,

Have a nice thread.

SWTOR's launch reminded me of Rift's launch.Rift had a perfect launch and less bugs and had the same servers full issue.

When I did have a problem in Rift I got a live person and they resolved my issue within a week,in SWTOR I still haven't gotten more than the auto response and issue still isn't fixed.

WoW's launch was a joke,they went down so much they even gave extra playtime for it.

If you buy a car now it has features that a Model T doesn't have,this is to be expected because of the dates they were released,SWTOR didn't really offer anything "new" to the MMOPG playfield considering the budget they had to work with.

Outside of the Storyline SWTOR offered no more than Rift but at least Rift gave more options for a character's gameplay with duel and even triple spec trees,the trees were also more exciting in Rift and had more meaning when I put a point into them.

I enjoyed playing SWTOR,I enjoyed the Storyline of all 3 level 50's I have.

I am not going to make a wall of text though but I wil say I have played every MMOPG out there minus two from launch to end game.

Voqar has some good points about the game I wil add.

When people stop posting these absolutely worthless comparison posts.

You CANNOT compare a decade old game to recent release. An why the hell you should compare ? Should the information of the known past somehow make you feel better, or lower the bar for recent published products ? Should i as a customer expect a bad product cause theyve always been bad ?

The fact is: Wheels keep rolling. What was sufficient in the 2005, is a norm and a necessity in 2012. People who are unhappy hows the state of this game at the moment aren't comparing this game to wow, in a sense, they just EXPECT more than theyve been catered the past 5-10 years. And the should. Its called proggression.

So either posts like this OP are way off and cannot help theyre faulty logic, or they somehow try to maintain an illusion of a perfect world by denying the facts. In any case, the MOTIVE of this post is a guess game to me. I really, really cant comprehend what you are after with this.

Honestly, I think the reason so many people are up in arms isn't the bugs, the glitches, what they view as missing features, or anything else currently in game, or planned for subsequent release. The real problem was that they were so bored with everything else out there (and I'm not going to stoop to the level of citing any actual game) combined with the pre-release hype, that they were expecting something completely different from what they got.

Part of this pre-release hype was BW's doing, but I think the greater portion was on the part of those entertainment hungry masses just frothing for something new. I *think* I can safely say that those of us who beta tested are stil around. After all, we knew what we were getting and are ok with it (otherwise we'd never have let it through). Though I could be wrong, I've been wrong before.

In any case, I can't help but think the same would happen to any comparny in today's arena coming out with a new mmo. People need to learn to take a chill pill, especially with a companies first mmo. Citing other companies game feature and abilities isn't a valid point either because a lot of these companies aren't going to divulge how they achieved some of the things they've done. It is entirely fair to assume that a lot of what BW has done with TOR were things they had to learn from the ground up, despite using HeroEngine as a base.

I love this game. Just my thoughts on this whole deal.

Sincerely, a 41 year old developer (retired due to stroke) and player of games.

I disagree. Of course WoW was worse at launch than this game; I can remember the amount of maintenances and server crashes perfectly well. However, the MMO market of 2004 isn't the MMO market of today.

That's only relevant when it comes to things like the UI, etc.

In terms of overall quality, the improvement of SWTOR upon launch over WoW upon launch is about right. SWTOR is a bit bigger and a bit more polished on launch, and a bit more feature complete than WoW was on launch.

That bodes well for the future, since it's likely that SWTOR will (if they improve the damned ability delay - all bets are off if this is truly screwed) improve a bit faster than WoW over time, relatively speaking.

These things are incredibly difficult to make, and there have been no great technological or managerial leaps in 7 years that make them any easier to make, or any less likely to be bugged on launch, etc., etc., etc.

One of the many problems is that much of the skills in SWTOR are direct rip offs of the skills on WoW (google images "wow skills swtor skills identical" first hit, even the % and times are mostly identical). How are we to believe that a company that cant even make their own skills will improve these skills in the future? (I'm not saying WoW didn't rip off other games, but they were at least subtle.)

Hope I don't get banned for mentioning this but it really fades my hope.

This isn't 2004. If you buy something in 2011, you expect it to have features in common with competitive products from 2011. That goes for everything, not just MMOs. In short, your logic is full of horrible fail.

Edited by Rinkitink

Honestly, I think the reason so many people are up in arms isn't the bugs, the glitches, what they view as missing features, or anything else currently in game, or planned for subsequent release. The real problem was that they were so bored with everything else out there (and I'm not going to stoop to the level of citing any actual game) combined with the pre-release hype, that they were expecting something completely different from what they got.

Part of this pre-release hype was BW's doing, but I think the greater portion was on the part of those entertainment hungry masses just frothing for something new. I *think* I can safely say that those of us who beta tested are stil around. After all, we knew what we were getting and are ok with it (otherwise we'd never have let it through). Though I could be wrong, I've been wrong before.

In any case, I can't help but think the same would happen to any comparny in today's arena coming out with a new mmo. People need to learn to take a chill pill, especially with a companies first mmo. Citing other companies game feature and abilities isn't a valid point either because a lot of these companies aren't going to divulge how they achieved some of the things they've done. It is entirely fair to assume that a lot of what BW has done with TOR were things they had to learn from the ground up, despite using HeroEngine as a base.

I love this game. Just my thoughts on this whole deal.

Sincerely, a 41 year old developer (retired due to stroke) and player of games.

If we're supposed to give allowance because it's their first MMO and they don't know what they're doing, they shouldn't charge full price and a monthly subscription.

some classes were able to actually 1shot other classes.. And so on :-)

Yeah, this still happens, reason why I left WoW.

Reason for winning because you have a better class than mine is a pvp breaker.

And before anyone starts flaming, just keep in mind that FPS PVP games like Battlefield do it well, no matter what level or gear the other player has, you still have a chance to kill him, this is how PvP should be.

I dont care about how WoW was or not. I didnt even play it since day 1.

However I know one thing fo sho. I knew when Blizzard released patch notes fixing stuff, the things were actually fixed. In here however its either not fixed or somehow partially fixed for some ppl and not for others.

I just find hard to trust BW they will fix stuff they note in patch notes. When they prove me wrong and actually fix things listed in patch notes...FOR EVERYBODY, without screwing over 50 other stuff, they will earn my trust again.

Before you complain about your $50,000 car not having airbags, just stop and think. The Ford model T never had airbags when it was released.

Ya, checkmate haters.

Heh nice comparison.

However You are forgetting one key thing.

Standards and expectations changed and are higher now.

Nobody would pay 50k usd for new model of Ford T..if there werent any airbags.

But now when You buy car for 50k usd, You expect to see at least 5 airbags there. Its just standard package that comes with the car for this price.

Heh nice comparison.

However You are forgetting one key thing.

Standards and expectations changed and are higher now.

But now when You buy car for 50k usd, You expect to see at least 5 airbags there. Its just standard package that comes with the car for this price.

That's what he's saying...

Actually we all did. We just didnt know BW new shiny car didnt have any airbags. Or any standard gear that you would expect from modern car. Plus the car itself doesnt really go any smoothly and it doesnt like every second driver driving it. So it stops here and there, dies in the middle of the highway, overheats after driving more then half an hour, when you shift up or down it takes about 5 minutes to actually see any speed increase/decrease..

Pure Win :)