I have a strange feeling I'm doing something wrong

Sethanas

My toon is a lvl 39 Lightning Sorc. I'm wrapping up Taris, and I'm fairly over leveled for the last few missions. Enemies I'm fighting are in the 34-36 range.

I'm using Ashara as my companion. While she seems to do decent damage, she is absolutely decimated by any elites I fight, even if they're 5 levels under me. The same can honestly be said for myself. Some of the elite droids I've faced out in the world, as well as the elite rakghouls, have absolutely decimated me.

I read forum threads where people claim this class is overpowered, and I'm inclined to believe them, able to solo heroic group missions. As such, I wonder if there is something I am fundamentally doing wrong.

My general combat rotation vs elites is this:

-Bubble companion, send in companion

-Bubble myself

-Affliction

-Lightning Strike spam

-On proc for chain lightning, chain lightning

-on proc for force lightning, force lightning

-interrupt when possible

-stun when possible

The bubble drops on my companion in a matter of seconds, after which I have trouble keeping her alive. The long cast heal barely keeps up with the damage she takes. I've taken to simply letting her die if she is under 1/3 health before I can re-bubble her. I didn't have much better luck with Khem Val when I was using him.

As a Lightning Sorc, should I be using Khem Val instead? I've kept his gear as current as possible while leveling, taking upgrades for him as I get them. The same for myself. I keep what components I can current via Artifice.

I dunno, I feel like I should be waltzing through these guys, yet they're rather punishing.

I always used Khem when leveling. I found that when he is tanking, i never loose. I start healing him, and only healing him, when he drops to around 40%. I heal until is is around 85% and then i can go back to dpsing. It worked out really well. Never lost a fight. Never really had any difficulties.

Depends on what YOU like..

that said.. Khem is a tank. I learned this golden nugget while leveling up and trying out the new flavors of companions as they came along. Even still, at 50, i use Khem when its just me. when im grouped, i might go with another comp, depending on group dynamic.

And.. your rotation looks fine.

yes.. what McWall says above.. the trick to winning fights is (typically) keeping the tank alive.. and Khem is a tank.

Hm, thanks for the tips. I swapped back to Khem after I made the post and was doing relatively well.

*minor spoilers*

I elected to kill Thana, and got into combat with her. Bubbled Khem and myself, started dpsing, swapped to full healing when Khem got down to about 40%. Between her leap attacks interrupting my heals, I couldn't keep us both alive.

I waited to res, and managed to kill her with the same tactics the second time, but she was far from a pushover. I think my odds of actually winning a post-cutscene fight the first try are right at 50/50.

As with most of the posters here, I used Khem while I leveled exclusively. I did use the others occassionally, however I felt much more at ease using Khem for soloing and another companion when I was grouped with a tank.

Once I reached 50, I started using the last companion (I omit the name in lieu of **spoiler** alerts), who is a ranged tank.

That said, your play style might be different from mine, so when you choose a companion, make sure you know what type of role they fill and play appropirately. That is, there's not much call to use Khem all the time for an Assassin tank...

Lastly, make sure you keep up with your companion's gear. I chose to use Khem not only because he was a tank, but it was far gentler on my credits than gearing 2, 3, 4 and finally 5 companions would have been.

Find the one you like, learn how to use them to greatest effect and keep them geared to your level. Do that, and you should be unstoppable! Good hunting.

I used khem till about Taris where I became frustrated with the downtime... I picked up Andronikos went to the auction house... bought him some decent greens/blues and then proceeded to faceroll for the rest of the planet which led me to Hoth.... I'm 39 on Hoth and only doing pvp so when I hit 40 me and him will have our full level 40 pvp gear. He is by far the best companion so far... I play as a dps sorc leveling up into a 13/28 build.. so far I'm 13/16. Edited by Crazysithslayer

Hm, thanks for the tips. I swapped back to Khem after I made the post and was doing relatively well.

*minor spoilers*

I elected to kill Thana, and got into combat with her. Bubbled Khem and myself, started dpsing, swapped to full healing when Khem got down to about 40%. Between her leap attacks interrupting my heals, I couldn't keep us both alive.

I waited to res, and managed to kill her with the same tactics the second time, but she was far from a pushover. I think my odds of actually winning a post-cutscene fight the first try are right at 50/50.

Have you been keeping up on Khem's gear? Companion gear is super important, almost as important as your own, particularly if it's a tanking companion.

Have you been keeping up on Khem's gear? Companion gear is super important, almost as important as your own, particularly if it's a tanking companion.

Valid point. I keep up gear as I get it from questing for him, and any random drops that improve str/end/def. I haven't really spent much on him via the Galactic Market over the course of leveling. I'm a little flush with cash at the moment. I'll try decking him out in the best stuff I can get a hold of and see if that makes a difference on the next planet.

Hello friend. I have a 37 sorcerer (closing in on 38) and I'm also finishing Taris. I did the first few quests on Quesh and they were significantly tougher, since everything was basically my level. So back to Taris for me, I'll finish up and get 38 before moving on.

I've gotten pretty good at anticipating the moments where a cutscene will trigger. One thing I always do is bubble my companion, then myself and I RUN forward and trigger the cutscene. There's no timer on buffs during cutscenes, so when the fight starts we are both still bubbled. If there's an elite, I let the companion start the fight (as I'm sure you do).

I'm Lightning/Madness hybrid, so I have the 2nd-tier Lightning talent that buffs the shield barrier by 20%. Makes a huge difference. I also have Wrath in the Madness tree, so once my companion has aggro, I drop both Crushing Darkness and Affliction on the target, then check Khem's bubble. If it's too early to refresh it I'll start Force Lightning, and if Wrath procs then I use Crushing Darkness (if it's up) or Lightning Strike. Re-bubble Khem, reapply DoT's, heal Khem if needed, then Force Lightning until dead. I'm confident dealing with a solo elite this way, they rarely ever defeat us. Khem never seems to lose aggro, the only time he does is when he gets controlled (such as Force Lift or Force Choke) at which time the mobs head straight for me. :) At times like that I use Electrocute, Force Slow, anything I can to slow them for a few seconds until Khem regains aggro.

I actually used Andronikus for the entirety of Alderaan, but we were always 2-3 levels higher than the content. I turned off his grenade (so he wouldn't break my CC) and I'd Whirlwind elites or silvers until all other mobs were dead, then we'd focus on the stronger mobs. It worked great, but after all that I am finding that Khem is the safer way to go. I've tried Ashzara a few times and just can't get her to work, for my playstyle. For groups of normal mobs, Andro and I blow them to bits. For anything tougher, it's back to my buddy Khem. Good luck to you.

Appreciate the suggestions, everyone. Sounds like one of my main issues is companion gear. Just doing a cursory inspection most of Khem's armor ratings for his gear were 66-70 (with stats to match) when mine is sitting at 88-90 for most pieces. Picked up a new belt/blade from the Taris commendation vendor for him, and got some new pants from the market (nothing else usable, sadly). I managed to solo a 2+ man heroic before I left Taris, so I might at least have learned something from the responses I got here. Thanks again.

The long cast heal barely keeps up with the damage she takes. I've taken to simply letting her die if she is under 1/3 health before I can re-bubble her. I didn't have much better luck with Khem Val when I was using him.

That's the main reason I used a version of Hoko's tri-spec while leveling. It's tough to put-out enough healing otherwise for soloing some elites or champs.

Even just 2 points there to cut 0.5s off Dark Infusion helps and since you went lightning I assume you put 2 points into the 20% better bubble. If you didn't, make sure you do that.

Probably not what you want to hear but I levelled as Lightning for ~40 levels and was fairly comfortable, but as soon as I respecced into a hybrid build I felt like stuff died twice as fast, and with insta-Whirlwind I felt a lot safer too (Particularly when you get a 3 man ambush after a cut scene - turning around and instantly Whirlwinding all 3 is a great feeling!).

If you are struggling I would consider swapping your build as well as listening to all the good advice on tactics here.

As soon as I got Ashara I geared her up and have used her all the way to 47. Stuff drops mega quick, we never die and I am lightning spec.

I just got Xalek though and I'm wondering why, as we already have KV. Maybe Z is supposed to be the endgame tank comp, I don;t know.

As soon as I got Ashara I geared her up and have used her all the way to 47. Stuff drops mega quick, we never die and I am lightning spec.

I just got Xalek though and I'm wondering why, as we already have KV. Maybe Z is supposed to be the endgame tank comp, I don;t know.

The main reason I find Xalek "better" is that he's also an Inquisitor, so you're able to equip him with duplicates of your own epic gear. For example, when I received my second PvP robe token, I bought the tank version and equipped on Xalek.

Given the comments and other peoples' experiences, I'm thinking I should look into some kind of hybrid leveling build. Since my first post I've hit 41 and made it through Quesh and into Hoth, still running into the same issues I've mentioned before. I managed to get through a Heroic 2+ with only one death, which is at least a small achievement for me.

Elites I can handle solo with Khem and his slightly better gear, now. I'm wondering if Khem is breaking my CC early with his AoE abilities, as some groups I attack in which I CC the elite have resulted in the elite breaking CC shortly after the fight starts. I'll have to look into that, too.

Khem is definitely my choice until I get the other apprentice, as I like standing back and unloading salvos of lightning, stopping to drop some support abilities when needed.

Elites I can handle solo with Khem and his slightly better gear, now. I'm wondering if Khem is breaking my CC early with his AoE abilities, as some groups I attack in which I CC the elite have resulted in the elite breaking CC shortly after the fight starts. I'll have to look into that, too.

Yep, Khem has two AOE abilities which need to be turned off when you're CCing in a pack. They are called Cleave and Consume Essence

As a level 50 sorc with a hybrid spec, I'd like to say that hybrid specs are not just for leveling. I'm doing 8 and 16 man EV atm and I haven't changed my spec since I chose this one back in the low 20s. I'm sure there is some benefit to having the 31 point talents, but I love the DPS I'm getting from my 20 Lightning/21 Madness spec.

I plan on keeping this spec and keep on rolling with Xalek as a pet (for the gear reasons mentioned in other posts). I can give all my hand me down orange gear to him, just swap mods out, and he's good to go. Now that I'm getting dupicates of Tionese and Columni gear, he gets those 2. My ability to grind through the dailies on Bel and Ilum is so fast, I don't even think about doing it now.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.