Custom Gear for Companions

LordBrat

I'm currently working on gathering Alderaan commendations to get the customizable pants and boots for a couple of my companions. Not wanting to do that particular grind, I happened to notice several types of orange armor pieces on the GTN. However, most of these have class restrictions.

How do these class restrictions work with companions? I'd like to see if anyone has an answer to this before I start to throw money around.

Thanks,

~LB~

You can always buy items from the GTN and rip the mods out for another piece of gear. Costs some credits, but probably isn't going to break your bank. I consistently do this when there's say a lightsaber with an alignment requirement I do not meet, but want the mods.

@ Eternal: Dang. I was afraid of that. Thanks for the confirmation though.

@ Amp: That is a solution I hadn't thought of, but I was really looking for was a less time intensive way of obtaining the orange armor pieces, with or without mods in them. I'd rather spend 5k credits at the GTN + a few more to mod it than the hour or so doing dailies on Alderaan.

Thanks again guys,

~LB~

@ Amp: That is a solution I hadn't thought of, but I was really looking for was a less time intensive way of obtaining the orange armor pieces, with or without mods in them. I'd rather spend 5k credits at the GTN + a few more to mod it than the hour or so doing dailies on Alderaan.

Ah, gotcha. Try asking crafters. They can get their hands on schematics to make mod gear. Throw up a request in trade chat on the fleet and see if you get any bites.

There's also the lower level pvp gear if you're willing to go that route.

Can i just start by saying that orange gear is not the best gear for companions, purple master crit is. Now you maybe wondering why that is and the simple answer is presence.

Presence increases all power and health etc of companions but here is the key. You dont have to wear it, your companions can wear it and gain the benefit. The gear you get from mission rewards etc that have the comps name stamped on it is simply there to stop double bagging and to show that this specific gear is designed for that companion.

Presence is not restricted to armour but is also found on weps, altough you will have trouble gearing specific weapons, ow which most will know i mean vibroblades for specific companions.

There are no class restrictions on companions also, they may look like a class but they are a hybrid blend of different classes with restrictive skills compared to normal players. This in no way states that they are weak, if done right and played right they can be more powerful then some players.

This isnt due to them being op, its just the case that a player who knows what they are doing and gearing there comp and themselves right to boost the comp and themselves will always do better then a player who simply plays oddly or never upgrades there gear until top end or they rely on commendation and mission rewards, and you will find most complaining that the comps die to fast or dont do enough but never contemplate that there companions arnt as geared as themselves.

If you want any tips on your companions there is a wealth of info within your codex under persons of note aswell as upon the char sheet they have there own tab which shows how stats are broken down in the exact same way you can break down your own stats to work out what you want and need.

Edited by Shingara

• 2 months later...
Companions are their own classes. They can only wear gear that has no class restrictions or gear for which the restriction is their own class (for example Bounty Hunter's companion Mako can wear gear that says "requires Mako" or gear that has no class restrictions).

So even if your companion is a jedi knight, they can't wear gear that requires jedi knight, is that correct? That is kind of lame.

So even if your companion is a jedi knight, they can't wear gear that requires jedi knight, is that correct? That is kind of lame.

They may be Jedi by their story, but they don't have the Jedi Knight class as far as the game mechanics are concerned.

Companions don't have the same classes as player controlled characters.

They can't ever use gear that is class restricted to player classes.

They can use either their own gear or normal gear if it is not class restricted.

Then again, player controlled characters can't wear items that are restricted only to a certain companion either.

Presence increases all power and health etc of companions but here is the key. You dont have to wear it, your companions can wear it and gain the benefit.

Is this 100% confirmed? I checked putting and removing a +presence augment on Qyzen's Vibroblade, and his health bar did not seem to change. Although it might have been related to the longstanding bug where character stats do not always update when changing gear.

My companion gets all my purple hand-me-downs, i just upgrade the other bits, gun etc as i go. I try to keep her in the same level gear as me (maybe a level below)

Your companions gear is just, if not more important as yours - look after him/her and they'll look after you. Try to kit at least 2 companions in good gear if you can.

Shingara hit the nail on the head here. But sadly, by the time you grind up a schem to purple mastercraft and crit'ed, chances are there will be better gear out there for you. Some of the heroic missions rewards are orange companion gear. I can't remember which ones they are, but most heroics don't take a lot of time and give out good gear and xp. My advice is, run heroics for Alderaan and maybe the heroics from the bonus series from tatooine also.

Presence increases all power and health etc of companions but here is the key. You dont have to wear it, your companions can wear it and gain the benefit.

Is this 100% confirmed? I checked putting and removing a +presence augment on Qyzen's Vibroblade, and his health bar did not seem to change. Although it might have been related to the longstanding bug where character stats do not always update when changing gear.

I've checked this with augments and have never seen my companion gain a stat boost from equipping +presence items on the companion.

If anyone has a circumstance where they've seen their companion get a benefit from equipping +presence gear, I'd love to test it...

Edited by Mythbusting

About companoins and presence...

As far as I have understood it, yes companions do gain benefits from presence. Check the stat on your character sheet.

However, they only gain the beneft of the presence stat if you wear it, so it doesn't help to put your companion in gear with a presence stat.

I seem to remember they gain a little endurance boost and damage boost from your presence.

Edited by Nadisu

About companoins and presence...

As far as I have understood it, yes companions do gain benefits from presence. Check the stat on your character sheet.

However, they only gain the beneft of the presence stat if you wear it, so it doesn't help to put your companion in gear with a presence stat.

I seem to remember they gain a little endurance boost and damage boost from your presence.

Presence is a nice stat if you want to boost your companions, but it does nothing for the companion unless the +presence is on the gear the main character is wearing. A high presence stat increases the damage/healing/hp of the companion, not sure about armor but I don't think so.

I usually bought my own gear, then bought a nice set of orange gear for my companion and then used all my planet commendations to keep my companion in decent blue mods. I always had a ton of commendations and using them for my companions was a great way to keep them with decent stats without breaking the bank. Of course if I could find a great piece of purple gear for a good price then I would buy that too :)

You can put your companions in the tiered gear, but anything that says "Requires Class: ----" will not work. Mod gear for the companions isn't a huge must as your quests will provide you with upgrades throughout the planets. If you do get them mod gear you'll have to use comms to buy them mods (unless you're cybertech of course) it's 2 comms for a mod / enhancment and 7 comms for an armoring. In theory you're trading 11 commendations per armor part as opposed to just taking the companion quest reward over the single commendation.

I'm currently working on gathering Alderaan commendations to get the customizable pants and boots for a couple of my companions. Not wanting to do that particular grind, I happened to notice several types of orange armor pieces on the GTN. However, most of these have class restrictions.

How do these class restrictions work with companions? I'd like to see if anyone has an answer to this before I start to throw money around.

Thanks,

~LB~

Armor and Synth Class Specific crafted Orange items start at Level 11.

Then 15, then 19. At level 23 Non-Class specific Orange gear is craftable.

Also 31 for Medium, 35 for Heavy non-specific. I believe there's a list of Orange Gear in the Crew Skills forum.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.