Defensive Stats

xJACKTHERIPPERx

Before lvl 50 just get str/power for dmg and def for less dmg taken.

At lvl 50 it's totally different story. Due to soft caps I find it best to spread all 3 (def, shield, absorb).

Most end-game bosses doent have huge spike dmg, more like sustained with some higher dmg phases but nothing that can just one shot you. Thus I consider endurance the least usable.

Whats the order of importance for tanks between endurance, shield, absorption and defensive rating?

First off, the most important thing to consider when looking at what stats you need is the actual listed percents listed. When adding Shield and/or Absorb, you want to get enough Shield and Absorb such that the percentages are the same (re: 50% Shield Chance means you want to stack Absorb such that you have a 50% Absorb with a successful shield; if your Absorb is higher than your Shield, you want to stack more Shield rating; if your Shield is higher than your Absorb, you want to stack more Absorb).

Secondly, the value of Defense is largely determined by your AC: VGs have no appreciable benefit from higher Defense values (and have painfully low defense by default) so they should only take Defense when they are at extremely high Shield and Absorb ratings already; Guardians and Shadows both get substantial benefits from successful dodge/parries (Guards get Riposte, Shadows get to avoid KW charges getting eaten) so you want to stack as much as you can while keeping your Shield and Absorb equal.

Last, it's important to remember that Endurance is largely a moot point; you get all of the Endurance you need tangentially by getting better stats for everything else. In addition, stacking Endurance has no real benefit in the least (you get more than enough Endurance to tank any content you're actually capably geared to run from the given gear) so, if you're given the option between pretty much *anything* (including an offensive stat like WP/Str/Aim or Power), you should choose the stat that *isn't* Endurance.

and whats an acceptable tradeoff for them?

In general, it depends upon how much exactly you've stacked the given stats. As a rule, I weigh Endurance as a 0: it's only really a tiebreaker on a piece of gear with equivalent other stats. Tradeoffs on stats are hard to give definitively since there are diminishing returns: if it's a tradeoff between two stats that are both useful and you have a lot of one and a little of another, you want the stat that you have less of (since diminishing returns will eat into it less); other than that, you really want to just stack according to the order of importance without consideration for comparative tradeoff costs (if you don't care to do the actual math with a spreadsheet to determine what would be better from a pure numerical standpoint).

Kitru,

On the question of Endurance - does it not have more benefits for levelling? When you don't have a proper healer and you're soloing through a Heroic2+ or taking down a champ or something, then having the extra endurance seems to help me out a fair bit.... but I'm not sure whether leaning more toward Strength on my Guardian would kill the mobs quicker than my Endurance lets me stay alive longer... if you see what I mean.

X

does it not have more benefits for levelling?

If you don't have a healer around (even a healer companion), Endurance *will* be more useful to your survivability than Willpower, but as soon as you get a healer that is actually capable of dealing within incoming damage the direct contributions of Endurance to your survivability vanish since the more important factor to your survivability is the ratio between incoming healing and incoming damage (which is only affected by your mitigation stats and healer stats). Even when leveling, I would still favor Willpower and offensive stats over Endurance largely because kill speed means you level faster. Surviving for longer rarely has much benefit to speedy leveling (beyond preventing death, which is plenty easy simply by being a tank).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.