Why do many MMO players not appreciate the story?

chakkar

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Part of the problem is that VO is overused as I don't need to be emotionally engaged in killing ten space rats or clicking 5 buttons for a quest that goes nowhere and using VO for these errands makes them unintentionally seem more important than they are.

DA:O had the chantry board with text only quests that worked just fine as side dishes without drawing focus and attention away from the main story.

By the time I'm at my next class or world story step the emotional engagement and urgency I had has been lost because I had to be errand boy to so many others in between all of whom were trying to tug at my heartstrings to sympathise with their plight.

No it just won't have the typical MMO player audiance...there are more customers that hate MMO's and love TOR that love MMO's and hate TOR.

This may be true, but the problem is that the customers in the 1st group are unlikely to subscribe long term.

Maybe it's just the Jedi Counselor's storyline, but I'm having a really hard time understanding where people are coming from with the "great storyline" stuff.

Sadly the way the story was handled reminded me a lot of AoC. Started out interesting enough, and consumed much of your gametime in the beginning, but once you left newbieville (granted, at least here the voice overs continued, not entirely sure still if that's a good or bad thing) it rapidly became background noise you had to deal with every once in a while -- not really interesting or fleshed out enough to be much more than background noise.

By the end the only two things I cared about were getting all of those personality-less freeloaders off my ship, and killing the bad guy -- and if you're not brain dead you guessed who it had to be about halfway through the story -- so I could see how mind numbing the dailies were going to be.

Over the years I've come to the conclusion that MMOs are simply not a good canvas upon which to paint grand stories. They can do little stories very well -- the immortal Tauren in WoW is one of the best little bits of story lore I've ever seen, but really doesn't effect anything overall -- but the big stories end up being ham fisted and, ultimately -- thanks to the nature of the beast and the fact that the Big Boss needs to still be there for the next group that comes along -- feel pointless, even painful.

I had thought that perhaps TOR would prove me wrong. So far, for me, it hasn't.

Part of the problem is that VO is overused as I don't need to be emotionally engaged in killing ten space rats or clicking 5 buttons for a quest that goes nowhere and using VO for these errands makes them unintentionally seem more important than they are.

DA:O had the chantry board with text only quests that worked just fine as side dishes without drawing focus and attention away from the main story.

By the time I'm at my next class or world story step the emotional engagement and urgency I had has been lost because I had to be errand boy to so many others in between all of whom were trying to tug at my heartstrings to sympathise with their plight.

sounds like you are another burnt out MMO player. TIme to move to another genre for you, I think.

This is a fair point.

The digital acting is definitely overdone... we don't need 3 minute cut scenes and choices which results in the same quest to kill X of Y creatures anyway.

I think for the class story it's fitting, beyond that I personally believe it's waste of resources.

I would have appreciated the story if it had just been used in the class quest. Starting out I was reading along and listening to each quest giver. I'm level 47 and now I want to strangle them and just want them to give me the quest.

One of the reasons this feels like a single player game to me is the story telling while taking a quest and turning them back in. It takes longer to get the quest, travel to where you need to kill whatever and travel back and get blabbed at when you turn it in. During all this time you have to focus so intently to what you need to do as far as wanting to pick the right answer when prompted I just don't chat with friends in the game. They don't either. It feels very isolating.

We can't do the quest together because we all have different amounts of time to spend playing and while one is way ahead of me another is behind me in questing. So its just not possible to quest together.

Honestly it doesn't even feel like we are playing in the same game and this is the first game I've played that I've felt this way. Played SWG, COH, EQ2, LotRO, WOW and not SWTOR.

So, I'm not too dumb to appreciate the story it just gets old very, very quick and sometimes you just wanna log in and do a few quest and instead its just irritating. I want to read a story I buy a book. I want to play a mmo I buy a game. This feels like I bought a computer book. I knew it had the story telling in the game when I bought it but I never realized it was for each and every quest and how annoying it would be.

This is a fair point.

The digital acting is definitely overdone... we don't need 3 minute cut scenes and choices which results in the same quest to kill X of Y creatures anyway.

I think for the class story it's fitting, beyond that I personally believe it's waste of resources.

That pretty much sums up how I feel. I love the bonus quests, mostly because I love mob grinding, but the VO for side quests is totally unnecessary. Worse yet; as you level through the game your character's responses become increasingly canned. I love the voice acting for the main story though, it really suits most of the situations and serves to bring some of the class quest NPCs to life.

This is a fair point.

Even the class story, the choices are mostly meaningless. They basically boil down to "do I want to kill this guy, or do i want to finish the mission now"

The stories should be more branching then that. If you play a story twice, you should only get the same outcome if you purposely play it the same way.

I would have appreciated the story if it had just been used in the class quest. Starting out I was reading along and listening to each quest giver. I'm level 47 and now I want to strangle them and just want them to give me the quest.

One of the reasons this feels like a single player game to me is the story telling while taking a quest and turning them back in. It takes longer to get the quest, travel to where you need to kill whatever and travel back and get blabbed at when you turn it in. During all this time you have to focus so intently to what you need to do as far as wanting to pick the right answer when prompted I just don't chat with friends in the game. They don't either. It feels very isolating.

We can't do the quest together because we all have different amounts of time to spend playing and while one is way ahead of me another is behind me in questing. So its just not possible to quest together.

Honestly it doesn't even feel like we are playing in the same game and this is the first game I've played that I've felt this way. Played SWG, COH, EQ2, LotRO, WOW and not SWTOR.

So, I'm not too dumb to appreciate the story it just gets old very, very quick and sometimes you just wanna log in and do a few quest and instead its just irritating. I want to read a story I buy a book. I want to play a mmo I buy a game. This feels like I bought a computer book. I knew it had the story telling in the game when I bought it but I never realized it was for each and every quest and how annoying it would be.

Which gets back to my point about it not being a good mesh with MMO games and what MMO players want from MMOs (i.e., they don't want a game like Mass Effect or Dragon Age).

This is a fair point.

Pretty much agree. Actually takes away the entertainment value and significance of the main story arcs for me because it simply gets devalued due to how many there are.

I would have rather had a lot less of those and allowed them to either make those that existed better graphically or used those resources elsewhere. Love them for the main story lines but for the quests that really have no significance or story arc just seems a waste and quite frankly is overkill.

A large percentage here on the forums hate on the game and state that they don't give a crasp about the great story Bioware has put into the game. These are probably the same type of people who would play Modern Warfare, but feel they're a more sophisticated gamer, so they play MMO's....then constantly complain about them.

IMO, story is what sets this game apart. Ive only played bounty hunter so far and love the story and look forward to playing every class.

I've never played Modern Warfare. I have, though, since I was three years old, been an avid reader. In college I was an English major and in my spare time I'm a writer. The story in this game does nothing for me. There's nothing ground breaking about it. I'm not going to say it's bad, because I feel no need to insult BioWare, however, it's nothing I haven't read before, in one form or another, over the years.

I would have been more appreciative had BioWare spent all that money on developing a better, smoother gaming experience, or, dare I say it, building a game to truly revolutionize MMOs as, I believe, they said they were going to do. Or, maybe I'm just too dumb to appreciate the story.

A large percentage here on the forums hate on the game and state that they don't give a crasp about the great story Bioware has put into the game. These are probably the same type of people who would play Modern Warfare, but feel they're a more sophisticated gamer, so they play MMO's....then constantly complain about them.

IMO, story is what sets this game apart. Ive only played bounty hunter so far and love the story and look forward to playing every class.

Short answer; yes, yes they are.

Long answer; Many MMO players have been conditioned to skip the quest text and move as quickly as possible to endgame. SWTOR had a goal to make the journey enjoyable and MMO vets are having a hard time with that after years of rushing through to hit the end. The stories in this game are well done, but as with anything new to a genre, there will be a level of resistance to change.

Pretty much agree. Actually takes away the entertainment value and significance of the main story arcs for me because it simply gets devalued due to how many there are.

I would have rather had a lot less of those and allowed them to either make those that existed better graphically or used those resources elsewhere. Love them for the main story lines but for the quests that really have no significance or story arc just seems a waste and quite frankly is overkill.

Yep. There were times I couldn't tell what was a class mission or not unless I checked, because the narrative was all broken up by the less useful narrative... disconnected me from the actual story being told (about my character).

The class stories and planet stories in this game are not up to Bioware's standards.

I would gladly play Mass Effect twenty times over before I have to sit through this.

so then I have to ask, why are you still subbed to the game, a game which it seems you don't like?