Why do many MMO players not appreciate the story?

chakkar

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The story portion is cool, it's just that, if you really really want story, there's plenty of single player games with superior story that also function better mechanically as well. I could go back and play through Witcher 2 since I've only done that once, or I could replay ME1/ME2 in preparation for ME3, or in a few days I can play Kingdoms of Amalur, all of which IMO have superior stories and mechanically are more fun (from a single player perspective) than SWTOR.

This is pretty much what I'm thinking, too. It was an interesting concept, but I don't think it meshes that well with an MMORPG setup.

Sorry OP, but most MMO-players arent roleplayers, and just dont give a horses arse about the story.

We do not wear a cape and wizards hat while playing, and we wear out our spacebar when playing SWTOR.

It's just the way things are.

And also why SWTOR wont be a big MMO in the future, unless Bioware changes their focus.

and why exactly are you playing a star wars game?

Did I say Star Wars is terrible? No.

But I've never suffered a head injury severe enough to consume the endless vomit of merchandising atrocities the franchise has produced. Let alone suffered the oxygen deprivation required to lose the ability to gauge it's repellent standard of quality.

Sorry OP, but most MMO-players arent roleplayers, and just dont give a horses arse about the story.

We do not wear a cape and wizards hat while playing, and we wear out our spacebar when playing SWTOR.

And also why SWTOR wont be a big MMO in the future, unless Bioware changes their focus.

Why do you need to be an RP'er to appreciate a good story? I don't RP.

The number of books sold would tell a different story. I'll bet that the other guy din't even read it.

Doesn't change the fact that if you are going to call people out about opinions, that you sir are held to the same standard.

What you meant to say was you think hes is a fantastic story teller..many othes may disagree.

But these people don't understand that using voiceovers to deliver paper-thin context on the sidequests doesn't make them interesting or good. The class story is decent. The main questline on each planet is decent (but the same on every character and even essentially the same between two factions). Aside from that there is no meaningful motivations or intrigue attached to doing the menial sidequest stuff that constitutes 90% of the MMO experience.

In a game with some quality story content, that stuff actually starts to feel like annoying filler rather than par for the course. You feel like you just have to do it to level up and be able to continue with the stories you actually care about. Putting that stuff side by side in the same game creates this horrible contrast and awful pacing. You do one interesting quest to every ten uninteresting ones, and the ratio is so horrible that it's actually painful to play the game sometimes.

You put it better than I could.

After leveling my Smuggler and not having a huge interest in the endgame, I started leveling a Trooper. At level 15, I was already irritated with all the crap I need to do to get to the next class story dialogue, and that was pretty much it for me.

The number of books sold would tell a different story. I'll bet that the other guy din't even read it.

No. I didn't waste my time. The reviews TRASHED Revan. And that is in a genre typically buried in awful books. The SW EU books for the most part are pulp, mass produced crap generated simply for the purpose of selling a few books. There is little to no art there whatsoever. Take some time and compare those books to real masters of sci-fi and you may get a different opinion.

Ok, so because you say its great, we all have to think the same?

Come on...

I enjoyed the Sith Warr story, but the Jedi Consular is so, so bad... And the ending is lame.

I am assuming you started at launch. Why are you still paying for the game, if you hate it. That is pretty dumb.

Sure the story is voice acted. But have you ever, I don't know, read a book? Seen a GOOD movie? The story in this game is overall really cliche and not particularly interesting. Sure it's voice acted, and that's cool, but that's pretty much the only thing it has going for it. A lot of the dialogue is pretty awful, too.

No. I didn't waste my time. The reviews TRASHED Revan. And that is in a genre typically buried in awful books. The SW EU books for the most part are pulp, mass produced crap generated simply for the purpose of selling a few books. There is little to no art there whatsoever. Take some time and compare those books to real masters of sci-fi and you may get a different opinion.

And Which Books have you read that qualifies this statement? Have to read "The Republic COmmandos" Novels by Karen Traviss? Are they crap?

Please tell us which you have read so that I can quiz you on the plots because I a willing to bet you have read none.

I took a break in the middle of "A Storm of Swords" to read Revan, so that didn't help it any.

No it just won't have the typical MMO player audiance...there are more customers that hate MMO's and love TOR that love MMO's and hate TOR.