Let it go, it is beyond your ability to do this.

Scan

Why do I see so many threads about making the game easier?

This sense of entitlement is ruining mmo's, so what, some of the ingame content is too hard for you and your friends. This is how life is, why should mmo's be any different?

Thing is it seems devs are actually listening to these people more and more, SW:TOR is the easiest mmo I have played to date and I have been playing mmo's since 1999.

Jimmy: "Datacrons are too hard to get! Make them easier"

Timmy: "We can't kill gold elite bosses, make them easier!!"

Linny: "We want to be able to kill the last boss in the game, make it so we can!"

..although these players are the major playerbase listening to them is tantamount to listening to children in a school asking for exams to made easier so they can pass them.

Dumb it down too low and you'll lose any sense of proportion.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, but unfortunately WoW started that trend of listening to crybabies, and now most are used to having it their way.

Does this mean it can not be reversed?

Are we doomed to play AAA mmo's that are tuned to the lowest common denominator?

~I hope not.

Edited by Scan

WoW is harder than this game and its the WoW players who is complaining this game is to easy.

Wrong. 6 year olds are playing and raiding in WoW. I have yet to hear anyone, guilded or otherwise, say they have a 6 year old playing, raiding and running dungeons here.

Wrong. 6 year olds are playing and raiding in WoW. I have yet to hear anyone, guilded or otherwise, say they have a 6 year old playing, raiding and running dungeons here.

Wrong. A disabled blind person can win a game of huttball but a disabled blind person can't win WoW arena.

While I'm all for content actually being challenging, I'm also hugely opposed to mindless tedium. I'll give you an example:

When Rift first released (before the content got nerfed,) the level 50 expert dungeons were a blast. The bosses were challenging and each was unique and had to be learned. Bad players did not fare well and the experts actually prepared you for raiding both with the gear they gave you and with the practice you got killing the bosses. If you had the wrong group composition, you would fail. There were DPS-checks, tank-checks, and healer-checks. It was the most fun I've had grouping in a loooong time except for one thing;

Trash.

All of the trash hit like friggin trucks and took forever to kill. Random deaths from wierd RNG type events were common. And even that wouldn't have been so bad except there was SO MUCH trash. It could take an hour to clear in between bosses, and since you had to farm these instances for tokens, they got increasingly tedious and uninteresting.

Trion made the mistake of nerfing BOTH the tedium (by removing trash mobs and making the ones that were there easier) AND nerfing the bosses themselves so anyone could kill them no matter how poorly geared, so long as you had a decent tank and an okay healer.

TOR suffers a bit in the "tedium" area. Difficulty is fine, and could be increased, IMO. But tedium in the form of trash mobs strategically placed to block your path everywhere you go and strong-mobs on quests that aren't very dangerous but take forever to kill... these kinds of things can be nerfed IMO. A challenging fight is fun. Tedious fights in mass quantity are not, and developers need to learn the difference.

It's funny you should mention that. I was teaching my GF's nephew to play huttball earlier in the week since we had to babysit for a couple days.

And yeah... he did fine. But he is eight so you're right... too hard for six year olds... fine for eight year olds.

Edited by Mannic

WoW is harder than this game and its the WoW players who is complaining this game is to easy.

Lol, I guess. My 9 year old cleared DS in 10 man, 3 bosses on Hard Mode, with some friends of mine.

Cleared.

3 on Heroic.

9 years old.

He played my druid. Boomkin. 3rd place DPS, middle of the road gear. He spams a LOT of Moonfire, but he knows to use wrath and starsurge as needed.

SOOPR SRS HARDCORE MMO DIFFICULTNESS!!!

In relation: He was very frustrated with trying to play my Bounty Hunter and heal Boarding Party (HM). People are "getting hit too hard, have to move too much on bosses, and he doesn't want to spend so much in repairs for gear he can buy in Warcraft".

In other words: WoW being harder is your opinion, based on what I have seen and done myself I tend to disagree. I will give WoW major props for the Pokemon move, my boys are telling all their friends about it in 2nd and 3rd grade and those kids are super stoked, I believe they may be bolstering the sub base with a lot of new.. "players". :D

Does this mean it can not be reversed?

Are we doomed to play AAA mmo's that are tuned to the lowest common denominator?

~I hope not.

It doesnt mean it cant be reversed

But It will not be

Until a Developer comes along that is happy with 1 million subs rather then trying to copy the golden egg routine that landed ONE GAME 20 million.

I like TOR, but Bioware and EA have made it crystal clear they value those 1-3 month subscriptions of the instant gratification crowd more then the minority that want to sub for 2-3-4-5 years.

In a sense, Bioware and EA are also going for the instant gratification, like those that want everything easier, faster, sloppier.

What players like myself and others need is a developer that will value our long term dedication.

Bioware came so close to getting it right, and then they gave it all away.

So yeah, Bioware is not going to reverse it.

EA is not going to reverse it

Blizzard is not going to reverse it

The trend will change when a independant developer comes along and says

"800,000 to 2 million subs long term is fine by me. We dont need 20 million subs and we dont need to sell our souls and our credibility to try and get 20 million 1 month subscribers. 800k - 2 million subs that stay with us for 2-3-4-5 years are good enough".

I will say that developer I speak of is getting closer to happening. Every game that belly flops trying the fast and sloppy give away design moves us closer to developers getting smarter and seeing you cant try for a cultural fad like WOW got. It just needs to happen on its own. All you can do is try to keep your LONG TERM BASE happy. And the long termers are not asking for faster, easier, sloppier designs.

TOR got it right doing away with 10+ man raids for most part.

TOR got it right making it the game soloable (though they went over board on the concept. Being able to solo from start to finish doesnt mean you get to solo all the content.)

TOR got it right with the Voice Overs and storylines

But then they made it all meaningless by giveing it all away with no effort or dedication or anything.

Someone will get it right eventually,

The time is comeing,

The WOW design of fast, meaningless, and sloppy is losing its so called "Winning" reputation.

But it will not be Bioware or EA that makes the leap of faith to advance the genre in this regard.

I hear wow's responsible for all the ills of our and all other worlds in this and other dimensions, and yet it's still ridiculously popular and the majority prefers that style of play.

What your asking is for company's to appeal to an "elite" few at the top.

Good luck with that.

In fact I'd love to hear your pitch at a board meeting, the silence immediately after would be priceless.

Lol, I guess. My 9 year old cleared DS in 10 man, 3 bosses on Hard Mode, with some friends of mine.

Cleared.

3 on Heroic.

9 years old.

He played my druid. Boomkin. 3rd place DPS, middle of the road gear. He spams a LOT of Moonfire, but he knows to use wrath and starsurge as needed.

SOOPR SRS HARDCORE MMO DIFFICULTNESS!!!

In relation: He was very frustrated with trying to play my Bounty Hunter and heal Boarding Party (HM). People are "getting hit too hard, have to move too much on bosses, and he doesn't want to spend so much in repairs for gear he can buy in Warcraft".

In other words: WoW being harder is your opinion, based on what I have seen and done myself I tend to disagree. I will give WoW major props for the Pokemon move, my boys are telling all their friends about it in 2nd and 3rd grade and those kids are super stoked, I believe they may be bolstering the sub base with a lot of new.. "players". :D

Yes it is my opinion. Im basing it on the fact that the average player in this game is less skilled than in WoW. There are some encounters you need to use CC, but players in this game hardly knows what CC is and they tend to break it. That is something you seldom see in WoW.

And don't forget your son is doing easy mode heroics and gets boosted by other people in the party. Same thing can happen in this game and it has. Like doing flashpoints 2 man.

I do not see the problem, as long as there is an option to make the game more difficult and challenging what does it matter whether the main quests are geared towards the majority of the players?

I see people run around on planets being 5 levels higher than recommended, now that makes it easy...

It doesnt mean it cant be reversed

But It will not be

Until a Developer comes along that is happy with 1 million subs rather then trying to copy the golden egg routine that landed ONE GAME 20 million.

I like TOR, but Bioware and EA have made it crystal clear they value those 1-3 month subscriptions of the instant gratification crowd more then the minority that want to sub for 2-3-4-5 years.

In a sense, Bioware and EA are also going for the instant gratification, like those that want everything easier, faster, sloppier.

What players like myself and others need is a developer that will value our long term dedication.

Bioware came so close to getting it right, and then they gave it all away.

So yeah, Bioware is not going to reverse it.

EA is not going to reverse it

Blizzard is not going to reverse it

The trend will change when a independant developer comes along and says

"800,000 to 2 million subs long term is fine by me. We dont need 20 million subs and we dont need to sell our souls and our credibility to try and get 20 million 1 month subscribers. 800k - 2 million subs that stay with us for 2-3-4-5 years are good enough".

I will say that developer I speak of is getting closer to happening. Every game that belly flops trying the fast and sloppy give away design moves us closer to developers getting smarter and seeing you cant try for a cultural fad like WOW got. It just needs to happen on its own. All you can do is try to keep your LONG TERM BASE happy. And the long termers are not asking for faster, easier, sloppier designs.

TOR got it right doing away with 10+ man raids for most part.

TOR got it right making it the game soloable (though they went over board on the concept. Being able to solo from start to finish doesnt mean you get to solo all the content.)

TOR got it right with the Voice Overs and storylines

But then they made it all meaningless by giveing it all away with no effort or dedication or anything.

Someone will get it right eventually,

The time is comeing,

The WOW design of fast, meaningless, and sloppy is losing its so called "Winning" reputation.

But it will not be Bioware or EA that makes the leap of faith to advance the genre in this regard.

Love this post.

There is so much utter sheit in the forum that to find the really interesting reads you have to dig. I take all your points onboard, maybe i am playign to find that fresh and innovative mmo, I guess its like so much in life.

~Well my search is ongoing, maybe GW2 or some other mmo has the hook, i guess i am enjoying the ride looking for a longtime home again.

I have feeling though it wont involve the tired old trinity gameplay or the GCD hotbars were all so very weary of doing.