Why does Kaliyo take so much damage?

tmpearson

Not much you can do. Even Scorpio in top gear needs my healing attention constantly. Especially when I am tackling higher level quests. I healed lvl 10-49 leveling.

You have to keep hots on, throw in dmg, Kolto injection, surgical probe, and back to a bit of dmg. It isn't you, it is everyone.

I don't think tank companions are meant to be substitute for player tank just more of a stand in for strongs/elites. Personally unless there are lots of DoTs being thrown around Scorpio doesn't need full-time attention but she's more geared than my Kaliyo.

I've found that both Kaliyo and Scorpio take damage at pretty much the same rate. The only difference between them, aside from the aesthetic is that one is ranged and one is melee. However, I've also noticed that many player tanks take ****-loads of damage during flashpoints as well. Since our companions, no matter how well-geared, are essentially like players with no talent points, they will be even worse than player tanks.

I think it's just the way that damage mitigation/avoidance works in this game, or rather, fails to work.

I don't think tank companions are meant to be substitute for player tank just more of a stand in for strongs/elites. Personally unless there are lots of DoTs being thrown around Scorpio doesn't need full-time attention but she's more geared than my Kaliyo.

Problem is not that they're worse than player tanks in flashpoints/heroics, the problem is that they suck even in normal quests, easily ending at half health during a normal fight against1/2 strong mobs and 2/3 normals.

It's just more time efficient to use a dps comp for quick kill (and heal yourself afterwards), or healing comp to reduce/eliminate downtime (with little to no dps lost when compared to tank cfompanion).

Tank companions need some love.

I used to sleep the toughest mob, if a droid was there slice one and then let Kaliyo tank mobs 1 by 1 as I stood behind them shiving them and interupting their attacks - if you do not interupt the mobs large attacks then you are going to experience a lot of damage, use distraction on them and they fall like flies.

I stopped using Kaliyo when I got Vector, but was able to heal him through heroic 4s so...

SCORPIO is pretty ****** though, I think user error may be the issue with previous posters use of her.

Edited by staysa

I dumped Kaliyo pretty soon after getting Vector. He may not soak up damage as well (though really, Kaliyo has to be the worst tank I've ever seen...she's like a wet tissue paper) but he deals significantly more damage which gets us through the fights quicker. I switched to heal spec and have been breezing through things that were giving me much more trouble when I had Kaliyo and Conceal spec.

I stopped using Kaliyo when I got Vector, but was able to heal him through heroic 4s so...

SCORPIO is pretty ****** though, I think user error may be the issue with previous posters use of her.

I don't know if you're talking about me or not, so I'll just ask you to name one thing that SCORPIO brings to the table that Kaliyo does not? Aside from Kaliyo being ranged and SCORPIO being melee, they're essentially the same. And, even though I'd rather have a melee tank than a ranged tank, my ability to customize the look of Kaliyo as well as gear her up more easily makes it an easy decision. Nothing against SCORPIO, I'm using her now because it's *that* part of the story line, but since there are no performance differences I'd rather be using Kaliyo.