Is It me? Or are sentinels greatly underpowered compared to the other classes.

GiRoSkItSoO

I don't know where to begin, theirs so much to say. ok, lets start with CC and CC breaks. the sentinel has one CC break, and If you spec into the combat tree you get a root/movment snare break.

ok, now the problem, It seems every class in this game has about 3 - 4 hard CC's like stright insta cast stuns, roots, knockbacks, knockdowns, snares Mezzes and just about every other cc you can think of, most classes have about 3 - 4 that they can rotate and pretty much stun lock an opponent. as a sentinel, this is beyond frustrating. It basically means you spend most fights, stun-locked and unable to do much except watch yourself get burned down by all the happy opponents laughing at you while they press a couple of buttons and completely disable you.

Sentinel is suppoesd to be a jedi knight. but seems like they are the most squishy class in the game. even sorcs/sages, pure light armor clotheys have more survivability than a sentinel due to having enough CC to get out of most situations with ease and they have heals as well.. not to mention shadow/assasins, the other so called light armor class. my friend on his shadow had double the armor of my sentinel at even level with the same grade gear. am i the only one who thinks thats a bit crazy ? not to mention they also have a few cc's up there sleeve and of course there stealth.. on comparison of the other classes, lets see, commando/vaguard, impireial agents, all heavy armor ranged classes with either sick aoe dmg or heals.

I mean, lets just take a look at that for one sec, Commando, Heavy armor, ranged healer, vs a med armor(which may as well be light) Melee(up close in your face, if we can ever make it that close) with 1 CC break, and only 1 reliable CC(force stasis, which isnt 100% on the ball everytime as well.) I mean, look at what i have so far written, i could keep on going and going.

there are 4 abilitys for the sentinel that do not work at all. in the middle tree, you can spec 2 points into your saber throw/heal debuff that is supposed to make it immobilize the target for 3 seconds, dosent work at all in pve or pvp. another tree ability that is supposed to make your master strike stun the target for the duration so they cant run away, dosent work at all in pvp or pve. pommle? nice, it looke like it does awsome dmg, but when can you ever use it? your only disable that remotely works is a channle so you cant activate an ability while channeling. so basically its useless, and another abilitys that has a requirement of the target being slowed, forget off hand the name of that abilitys, but it only works on weak/standard pve mobs, dosent activate on strong mobs or above and dosent work in pvp at all. I mean, really ? comon, this is a freaken JEDI KNIGHT FFS.

I know for a fact that in comparison to other classes, sentinels are at the bottem of the barrel.

how do i know this?

I got more medals, higher damage, more kills, and more solo kills on my lvl 12 shadow, than on my lvl 49 sentinel. (when he was still 49, hes 50 now and struggling to get some descent Expertise gear so i can at least put up a fight.

tried the same with a commando, sage, vanguard. and got the same results. i haent tried a smuggler or guardian yet, but im guessing that i will find the same ease of use with those classes as well.

please bio-ware/EA/Lucas-Arts, fix the jedi Sentinel. give us heavy armor, and 3 cc breaks, a 10 second cc immunity, fix the abilitys that are currently broken. we are the UNnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnDerdog atm....

:(

Sentinel is right now the hardest class to play.

It's a melee with 10-15 secs of survivability before dieing, that mean u have 10-15 sec to get a kill or beeng killed.

If u played a Sent/Mara, u know they are the easyest primary targets to take down.

And yes, imho this class need a bit of love by Bioware.

Edited by Bel_Riose

I think that the class is suffering not because of itself but because there are a lot of tweeks needed to be made to how Resolve works.

From what I'm seeing, resolve only gives you immunity for about 5-6seconds... most stuns are over 4 seconds, so basically once you get your resolve bar almost full, you get stunned, it caps and you're basically not gaining any benifit.

I think also a huge factor is the fact that the baseline Cc break has a 2MINUTE COOLDOWN.

That is just stupid.

Now, i know that classes that are squishy need to have a way to defend themselves, but with a Knight you only have liminted options on how to get on a target, and non-melee have more ways to keep you off then a Knight has to get on you. It's not balanced.

The Damage is good if you're Watchman or Focus. I am leading my side in DPS and Kills or at least near the top every warzone unless I get focus CC'd constantly because after my first one or two tricks to evade I'm pretty much **** out of luck.

TL'DR

Resolve needs to be reworked (longer immunity or shorter build time, Punts need to trigger resolve)

Breakers of CC need shorter cooldowns for the Knight.

The Middle Combat tree is my experience is pretty much trash. Some of it sounds really nice, the dmg on duel wield, %100 blade storm crits but the top ability is lackluster and most other things in there are not great. Atru form needs a bit of a buff.

Watchman is probably overall the best spec because it works great questing and in PvP. With Questing I can use Kira and keep us both up with my life tap heals, I don't need Doc all the time. In Flashpoints it keeps good preasure on bosses, there's good direct dmg in it. In PvP having a snare on the basic DoT is just fantastic and when you get your rotation up and stack 5 dots or so up on someone and pop Zen, they melt.

Focus for PvP is the best I've seen because of all the movement buffs it gives you. Having 30% to 50% speed buff up for most all fights is amazing when dealing with kiters and your force sweeps hit for 3k to 3.5k if you get the rotation off and Force Exhaustion is just amazing.

I want to give Combat another try when I hit 50 (soon) and see if it's any better at that level but I'm not optimistic about that.

So try Focus for PvP, or just stick to the DoT watchman spec and I think you might be happier

Completely agree with you, everyone's saying 'Valis is easy with Jedi Guardian' etc etc, but no one seems to be saying it about Sentinels, especially considering I can't get the hang of Interruptions. Bioware or whoever, please balance us out, so annoying that we can be beaten by people wiht guns, that lightsabers can 'supposedly' deflect.

From what I've noticed, is that even though Sentinels are basically THE damage class for the game (melee, at least..), our survivability is nil. Yes, while corpses are remarkably nonviolent, the corpse most often seen is our own.

I would suggest that two abilities either be altered or simply improved:

Resolve be somehow improved by either lowering its cooldown via dealing proc'ed damage (ataru or Juyo can do this) or by proc'ed crit (Juyo already does this, but it would be nice if say, Ataru proc'ed damage lowered Resolve cooldown by 1.5 secs per crit).

Force Camoulage be altered severely: longer duration or shorter cooldown. It's a great ability, yes. Juyo form can make it give you 100% damage immunity!..... for 4 seconds every 45 seconds, and for how glasscannony Sent is, sure as hell ain't enough.

Making it akin to Stealth would be something, though stealth on a medium melee attacker is a bit much.

It's not just you. Sentinels, right now, have 28 keybindings they must use several times each in a 20 minute window to play as effectively as a Tracer Missile spamming Merc.

That's not right.

A few "tip of the iceburg" fixes in my sig.

Watchman is probably overall the best spec because it works great questing and in PvP. With Questing I can use Kira and keep us both up with my life tap heals, I don't need Doc all the time. In Flashpoints it keeps good preasure on bosses, there's good direct dmg in it. In PvP having a snare on the basic DoT is just fantastic and when you get your rotation up and stack 5 dots or so up on someone and pop Zen, they melt.

Watchman only has 4 stacks for burns. 3 Stacks on the Overload Saber and one stack of Cauterize. And this snare? what is this I don't even? Is there something in the Focus tree that you've spec'ed into for that?

I want to give Combat another try when I hit 50 (soon) and see if it's any better at that level but I'm not optimistic about that.

So try Focus for PvP, or just stick to the DoT watchman spec and I think you might be happier

Combat is actually a lot better at PvP at Level 50 than it is at any other point in the game. Blade Rush and precision strike, when used properly, can net you some pretty high-hitting crits (Upwards of 4.5k-6k) with Blade Storm. You can burst people down extremely quickly and the movement speed bonus from Ataru form is pretty awesome.

Also, when doing PvE raids, Combat spec is a lot more valuable in 3rd phase for Soa than Watchman spec.

Watchman only has 4 stacks for burns. 3 Stacks on the Overload Saber and one stack of Cauterize. And this snare? what is this I don't even? Is there something in the Focus tree that you've spec'ed into for that?

Combat is actually a lot better at PvP at Level 50 than it is at any other point in the game. Blade Rush and precision strike, when used properly, can net you some pretty high-hitting crits (Upwards of 4.5k-6k) with Blade Storm. You can burst people down extremely quickly and the movement speed bonus from Ataru form is pretty awesome.

Also, when doing PvE raids, Combat spec is a lot more valuable in 3rd phase for Soa than Watchman spec.

Where to begin. Watchman Burns can heal them(which works really well with Guarded by the force), they also stack centering the fastest out of all the 3 specs, Cauterize snares, can force leap up close (which comes in handy so much), reduce force leap timer, DoTs work well with Force Stasis as well, and last but not least its not focus starved.

In the end you play what you like i suppose you'll end up doin better with what you like than what u hate.

Edited by Doomsaga

Wow another thread saying buff me.

Tempted to say nothing and hope bioware listens to "the masses" in the hope of becoming insanely op...

But no.

Sentinel has the hardest learning curve of any class, but that dosent mean its bad, put some time in, get some gear and soon you will be melting everyones face.

if you stack up your dots and hit Merciless Slash it refreshes your Cauterize and that stacks as far as I can tell. In PVP it's not really the easiest thing to pull off, in 1v1 encounters it's easy to do. The 2nd tier of Watchman has a snare talent on Cauterize

I'm sure Combat is probably a lot better in the high end stuff. I hit 48 today and I based on what I've seen with the other trees level makes a huge difference. I like the idea of the combat tree, I'm Focus atm and while you can get some big hits with Force Sweep and lots of mobility I find it a little boring

I'm willing to give combat another shot, but respec is just so expensive hahaha

nice to hear that, other people have similar hang-ups with the sentinel. I choose to play a sentinel because i love being in the enemies face, slashing and bashing them to death. there are many factors involved in every fight pvp or pve. I can say pretty much that i didn't have any problems at all in pve at any point until the final doomsday battle with the emperor, and i can honestly say the only problem there is Im forced to use T7 and my T7 hasn't been used or upgraded since lvl 16 when i got kira, so T7 is wearing 3 pieces of lvl 10 gear in a lvl 50 battle with an elite. Ive since been trying to upgrade him so i can finish the dam story(which i rather enjoyed I might add).

I would really like to see the moves that i described in my original post, fixed. I believe that having those 4 abilitys working will help a great deal. again the 4 moves are pommel(a high dmg ability that only works when a target is incapacitated(which is a vague requirement in itself) ). opportune strike, only works on weak/standard enemies. its supposed to work on any target just do less dmg to strong/elite enemies, and it sais nothing about pvp, but it dosent work at all in pvp i have tried several times but it never lights up in a pvp battle. THan we have displacement, a combat tree ability that is supposed to make your saber throw(not dispatch the other one) immobilize the target for 3 seconds, dosent work at all in any situation pvp/pve. and finally debilitation, which is supposed to stun the target for the duration on master strike, dosent work at all in any situation pvp/pve either. having these 4 moves at my disposal would add more than it sounds like it would at fisrst glance, why you ask? 2 high dmg output abilitys, a 3 second immpobilize on a 15 cd, and the ability to prevent poeple from running out of master strike range, awsome, those abilitys are the main reason i went up the combat tree to begin with and its class-breaking for them not to work.

but, I still have to say i love the sentinel, and cant wait for these and other balence issues to be corrected. if we are purely dps, we should be at the top of the dps charts ahead of smugglers, consulers and troopers not at the bottom where most knights are.

I got my sentinel to 50 and will probably be leveling other classes till the fix the sentinel, cause i mean its bad enough when your fighting and equal fight, its utterly unbearable when your fighting a full team of poeple all having 500+ expertise and having 15-20k hp each, your just fodder for the fire, over and over and over and over again.,,,

one other quick point, consular/inquisitor get an area knock back on a 15 sec cd that works in pvp, yet our force sweep only works on weak standard pve mobs, who thought that out?

Edited by GiRoSkItSoO

I played Sentinel in beta and I loved it. I am now grinding up a sentinel after getting my shadow to lvl 50. (all your fault xander!!! after helping you get the pink crystal and you reminding me of all the fun cool stuff a sent can do. I love the sentinels moves I like how the gameplay is in pvp and pve its a constant evolving rotation depending on the situation. What I hate in pvp is how I am tossed around like a ragdoll and stunned constantly. I do believe the class has its flaws like ability delay and alot of abilities not working in pvp but they do in pve.

My only concern that I want to be fixed with sent is not so much CC i have plenty of slows. I want anti CC abilities. Force leap immunity for 3 seconds would be nice. nothing pisses me off more to leap to a target that immediatly does kockback and as soon as I hit them im tossed away and then slowed stunned and cannot get back to them. I think it would be great to get a force push like Guardian. A few minor tweaks here and there and I believe sentinel would be a great class that would be played more. However sentinel is not an easy button class or a class for people lacking in skill since there are so many buttons in the rotation that should be hit.

With all that said. I still really enjoy sentinel in pvp and pve. Much more than I do my Shadow.

I love the Sentinel... until level 29. I'm now level 30 and just cannot enjoy the class anymore because the toon is just too squishy... takes all the fun out of it. My Sith warrior doesn't seem to be as squishy yet for some reason but then again he is only level 21. I don't know what can be done to rectify this situation but something should be done to make the Sentinel fun again. That's my 2 cents. Edited by AnotherAgnostic

Tanking 5 mobs at a time in PvE doesnt work as Mara/sent. Or, it does, but without a well geared companion (Id recommend Kira or Doc), you will have a lot of downtime.

When it comes to PvP, Im not expert, but have had loads of fun. For starters, if you think you are going to wade into battle and wreak havoc left and right aka. "Pat style", you are going to be disappointed.

So. my tip: Lift your gaze from your buttons, look at what is going on, you WILL see enemy healers all alone, spamming their ****, and half your team will be trying to smash the receiver of those heals. What to do? Force leap, apply dots, force stasis, interrupt, healer cant heal, your team kills their tanky type. If you get aggro, force camoflauge, run away or run and hide among your team members.

Use your mobility and be a team player. Dont think you can jumpsmash heavy armor guys who pop their cooldowns and have a dps friend eating you.

Playing dps in PvP is no less team play than healing.

... Also, when doing PvE raids, Combat spec is a lot more valuable in 3rd phase for Soa than Watchman spec ...

But other than that 1/3 of that one bossfight, watchman is far superior in PVE imo. Even when assuming that combat does equal dmg then watchman (which most people don`t) and you beeing good enough to "fix" the ataru bug by constantly staying "under" the boss, watchman still gives you self-/party-heals (which are low granted, but every bit helps) you get a 100% dmg reduction on force camo (which is huge) and combined with the 30% aoe reduction and the 4%internal/ele reduction on defensive forms you have a ton of survivability.

You also have centering up almost every 25 secs, which alllows you to help your parties movement / dmg+heals / or just increases your heal/partyheal which gets strain of your healers.

TLDR: Combat (sadly, i rly love the style) doesn`t really compete with watchman at PVE content atm

Edited by selectah

Sentinels have pacify and guarded by the force (and rebuke) - those are two (three) very big advantages in a fight vs a dps guardian. In solo fights Sentinels can do very well.

But yeah - in Huttball as soon as my Sentinel gets in melee range to a smart/covered enemy ball carrier he gets aoe knockbacked (often into the pit). The amount of CC in this game is annoying as hell and no class gets hit with it worse than Sentinels do.

Sentinel is not UP really, it just needs a lot more player skill and work to learn properly.

Sentinel is my 4th toon above lvl 30. When I was on Balmora and did the bonus chain, there is a fight with a 105k hps boss. I couldn't solo it with my defense guardian, neither with vanguard or scoundrel...but amusingly enough I could solo him with my sentinel. Took 3 tries, but I did it, with proper interupts and camouflage speced in watchman I eventually killed it.

Maybe its because its my 4th toon, but really sentinel feels like breeze to me. Kills fast, has great defensive cooldowns and some utility abilities.

So really, in pve the class is great. In PvP it just suffers from overabudance of CC in game.

Fact of the matter is that Sentinels are hands down the weakest and *******st class in the game.

NO CC (****** droid stuns cc, who cares..)

No knock backs

No AOE

No Utility

No survivability

They do nothing useful and as far as I can tell are a pointless class.

Whoever made this class and tested it and said it was "balanced" in comparison with other classes should have their nuts cut off with rusty nail clippers.