Kolto Infusion - Keep or not to keep

Riggz

Once I get surgical probe should i keep kolto infusion in my rotation or take it out and replae with surgical probe? I have a different spot for surgical probe so I can have both - but do I need kolto infusion in my rotation anymore?

My personal opinion on the matter is that kolto infusion is not worth using pretty much ever once you have surgical probe. Reasons being that though surgical probe heals for less than infusion it does not cost any energy, though both cost a tactical advantage.

I've found most often that surgical probe synergizes well with kolto injection insofar that you can kolto injection then follow up with a surgical probe with the TA granted from the kolto injection. It works out to be a solid rotation that manages your energy rather well. Throwin infusion into there can seriously put you in the danger zone with energy regen tiers if you aren't careful.

TL;DR I took infusion off my binds as soon as I got surgical probe and have never looked back.

My personal opinion on the matter is that kolto infusion is not worth using pretty much ever once you have surgical probe. Reasons being that though surgical probe heals for less than infusion it does not cost any energy, though both cost a tactical advantage.

I've found most often that surgical probe synergizes well with kolto injection insofar that you can kolto injection then follow up with a surgical probe with the TA granted from the kolto injection. It works out to be a solid rotation that manages your energy rather well. Throwin infusion into there can seriously put you in the danger zone with energy regen tiers if you aren't careful.

TL;DR I took infusion off my binds as soon as I got surgical probe and have never looked back.

Yah I agree, I took this off my bar once I switched to medicine along with diagnostic scan.

It heals for maybe 500-600 more, but it uses up another 20 energy, totalling 45 energy if you are doing it right after injection, which means you gotta wait about 4-5 seconds to get all your energy back after that instead of more like 1-2.

Edited by Crazyeyedturtle

Spot on.

From a strict HPS standpoint, K Infusion could have a role in burst healing. The potential use is so narrow, and the performance difference so slight, however, that most operatives are just as well off taking it off their hotbar completely. Injection-S Probe, repeat. It works great.

When I did the math (granted, this was for my character's stats in full columi-quality or better gear), using a Injection, Infusion, Diagnostic Scan as a basic rotation was only slightly more average hps than just using Injection, Surgical Probe. Infusion becomes stronger with more gear, but you need the 4-piece bonus. That said, using Infusion/DS requires you to be more energy aware and less mobile and the hps difference is minimal. Basically, it takes far less effort to just use Injection/SP for similar results. You can still use Infusion as a means to quickly recover from burst damage or as an energy dump in anticipation of adrenaline probe.

I took it off my bar as soon as I got Surgical Probe and I haven't looked back.

Yes, I know there will be people who claim it still has situational utility for burst healing. However, I find that waiting the extra .5 seconds for a KInj+SP is generally worth it, since you're putting out a lot more healing for only 5 more energy and it doesn't require a TA to cast.

Infusion is superior to SP when you need to quickly recover from a very large spike. It can also be superior to SP when you're locked out of Injection in pvp - not always, but sometimes.

It's a situational ability. Don't take it off your bars, instead just learn how to use it in the situations that need it.

i use infusion instead of surgical probe only when i have my alacrity relic on for fast casting, full energy and adrenaline probe ready, this maximize burst healing, and then recover.

otherwise yeah i use surgical probe 95% of the time.

Edited by Tikume

Infusion is superior to SP when you need to quickly recover from a very large spike. It can also be superior to SP when you're locked out of Injection in pvp - not always, but sometimes.

It's a situational ability. Don't take it off your bars, instead just learn how to use it in the situations that need it.

It's primarily useful for those times where you don't want to be able to cast anything for the next 10-15 seconds.

500 more health is not worth putting yourself below 60%. Casting one infusion after an injection puts you right on the line, casting two puts you well below. This means you have to wait a minimum of 5 seconds before you can cast any other energy-using heal without, again, dropping below 60%.

Even in a situation where you are spamming to keep a tank up for just a few more seconds at the end of a fight and you don't care about your regen after, by using infusion, you're a large percentage of total healing done for a tiny percentage increase in total throughput. Even in this, the one supposed situation where it's designed to excell, it's a bad trade-off.

Kolto Infusion is poorly designed, given the limitations of the operative resource system, and far beyond not missing anything by removing infusion from your bar, you'll actually improve yourself as a healer.

I still keep it around, don't really have anything "logical" for the slot. Injection on 2, Infusion on shift-2. Surgical Probe on mouse4 since I use it a lot.

It's still rarely used, usually in a tight spot where I do a quick Inj-Inf-Inj-Inf cycle and Adrenaline Probe on top. Far from sustainable, but it's more likely to get someone out from a tough spot when it matters (like ballcarrier in huttball close to the goal line).

Edited by Youmu