Most Absurd LS/DS Choices

Cavadus

Not here to debate what should or shouldn't be, I just want to hear some examples of some absurd LS/DS choices in the game.

I'll go first. In "The Red Reaper" flashpoint...

You get an option to let some pureblood Sith out of cryo-stasis, leave them alone, or terminate their life support.

Leaving them alone to forever be trapped in cryo-stasis gets you 50 LS points. Terminating their life support gets you 100 DS points.

Now here's the real insanity:

Freeing and then slaughtering them (as they'just instantly aggro after being freed) gives 100 LS points.

lolololololololol

Have fun!

Edited by Cavadus

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My two favorites so far come from the Agent story, but I'll mention only one of them because the other is a huge spoiler.

For one quest, I had to interrogate this target, but when I got to his house, he wasn't home. However, his wife was. So I took her captive, waited for him to get home, shot her in the leg to get him to talk, and then killed them both.

It was then I realized that playing DS made me feel sick, and I'd probably never play a character full DS again.

My two favorites so far come from the Agent story, but I'll mention only one of them because the other is a huge spoiler.

For one quest, I had to interrogate this target, but when I got to his house, he wasn't home. However, his wife was. So I took her captive, waited for him to get home, shot her in the leg to get him to talk, and then killed them both.

It was then I realized that playing DS made me feel sick, and I'd probably never play a character full DS again.

Lol, I love those situations, like below:

As a BH, you storm a Rebel hideout. When you defeat the captain, there are a group of about 6 huddled civilians. With the option to free, or kill them. Just expecting the normal "I shoot my blaster, pew pew you're dead."

Except, I was treated to a birds eye view of my BH, and the feet of the civilian as she opens up HER FLAMETHROWER AND TORCHES THE *********** GROUP (with an encore of screams)

I have a feeling some of these choices were made when the developer was having an AWFUL day. :)

Edited by Sykologist

Taris, Consular Story:

Toxic water(or was is air) plant is sabotaged. There are technicians working on the lower levels. You only have enough time to either save them or save the vital parts of the plant. If the plant becomes inoperable, millions will die due to toxic poisoning.

Lightside choice: Save 5 technicians, let millions die.

Darkside choice: Sacrifice the technicians, save millions.

Logic?

On Ord Mantell when you get the medicine back from the sepratists. If you give the medicine to the refugees you get light side. If you give the medicine to save the dying soldiers that the medicine was stolen from in the first place, darkside.

Taris, Consular Story:

Toxic water(or was is air) plant is sabotaged. There are technicians working on the lower levels. You only have enough time to either save them or save the vital parts of the plant. If the plant becomes inoperable, millions will die due to toxic poisoning.

Logic?

Also on Taris, you're given the option to save a guard's ladyfriend or some important data/equipment which will save lives. Get D/S points for letting the girl die... :confused:

Ord Mantell:

Right off the bat, you can threaten to kill a child if the Cathar doesn't tell you where the pirates are.

It was that moral choice that made me decide to go D/S with my Commando! It was just too damn funny.

OOh, for the Jedi storyline: Right at the beginning, you get D/S points for hurling the force receptive flesh raider off of a cliff. Had me laughing for hours, but it was CLEARLY the right thing to do...

I feel many of the LS choices make no sense in the long run. It is OK to fight a war for years and years killing billions and might let the galaxy be ruled by an evil emperor, but using a weapon that will kill a million and end the war is wrong...

Questline on Alderrann:

The quest where you rescue the Imperial guys daughter from the bugs. Lets look at this. The bugs captured her, exposed her to some chemical that made her want to help the bugs. So leaving her with her captors is light, and rescuing her and bringing her back to her father is bad......

Bullcrap. Rescuing a mentally abused member of your faction is not evil.

Trooper Story:

On Taris, you are tasked with finding a group of AWOL soldiers. When you find them, you are given a choice of allowing them to go AWOL (Lightside) or telling them to get back to their commanding officer (Darkside). How does this make ANY sense?

Yes, there was some pretty poor thought processes used to come up with some of the LS/DS choices in this game. I often wonder who wrote some of this crud and then who approved it?

Maybe, but I think part of the problem is that hard moral decisions are rarely black or white.

An alien offers to make us immortal. All he wants in return is the life of everyone named skippy. The morality of this situation depends on where you're standing, doesn't it?

For the alien it's a straight business transaction; for anyone named Skippy it's a deal with the devil; for the rest of us it's a pretty good deal and the Skippys gotta go. :D

As already mentioned a few times, the Ord Mantel medicine quest is one of the dumbest LS/DS point implementations. Sure, I can see justification for the LS points side, but just because that side can have LS points justified, does not mean the other is DS. In my opinion, the other side is more LS as it both preserves life and follows logical ownership rules.

Another *** is on Korriban with the dog brains. Helping an apprentice betray their master is LS? Supporting research and honoring your word is DS? "But he's wasting time. . . " So what, that may or may not be true, but that isn't your concern. Assisting betrayal is not LS, keeping your word and helping to ensure truth in research is not DS.

Trooper Story:

On Taris, you are tasked with finding a group of AWOL soldiers. When you find them, you are given a choice of allowing them to go AWOL (Lightside) or telling them to get back to their commanding officer (Darkside). How does this make ANY sense?

That one actually does. They were on Taris for years with no relief, no troops to replace them. They were mentally unfit for duty and wanted out. It's Lightside to let them leave and recuperate and be with their family. You post does suggest that you have what it takes to run for office in the US though...

Edit: In general I find that at least a good third of the LS/DS choices fit the Paragon/Renegade model more.

Edited by Bionixx

On Ord Mantell when you get the medicine back from the sepratists. If you give the medicine to the refugees you get light side. If you give the medicine to save the dying soldiers that the medicine was stolen from in the first place, darkside.

As a retired Army guy, that one bothered me a lot.

That one actually does. They were on Taris for years with no relief, no troops to replace them. They were mentally unfit for duty and wanted out. It's Lightside to let them leave and recuperate and be with their family. You post does suggest that you have what it takes to run for office in the US though...

Edit: In general I find that at least a good third of the LS/DS choices fit the Paragon/Renegade model more.

Once again, from a retired Army guy, helping a soldier desert would NEVER be a light side choice, no matter what the circumstances.

Jedi Knight

You encounter some soldiers who are NOT injured (I forgot where). You then have a choice, you can have them fight with you (Dark Side) or go hide in a corner while you kill everything (Light Side).

Apparently letting the soldiers do their job is evil.

Taris, Consular Story:

Logic?

Classic utilitarian scenario lol.

Jedi Knight

You encounter some soldiers who are NOT injured (I forgot where). You then have a choice, you can have them fight with you (Dark Side) or go hide in a corner while you kill everything (Light Side).

Apparently letting the soldiers do their job is evil.

A Jedi self-sacrifices before putting others in harm's way for him.

Maybe, but I think part of the problem is that hard moral decisions are rarely black or white.

An alien offers to make us immortal. All he wants in return is the life of everyone named skippy. The morality of this situation depends on where you're standing, doesn't it?

For the alien it's a straight business transaction; for anyone named Skippy it's a deal with the devil; for the rest of us it's a pretty good deal and the Skippys gotta go. :D

While I agree that things aren't always black and white, your above example is: sacrificing others for your personal gain is pretty straight forward DS.

Unfortunately, quite a few of the quests seem to take the stance of "well, we can justify the LS/DS on this option, so for the sake of point distribution (game mechanic), we'll just tack the opposite points on to the other option, whether it fits or not.

Another bad LS/DS; also Ord Mantel- "here's money to run away and live the rest of your life alone and in shame for actions that aren't even your fault" (LS) or "your parents will understand and be able to help you get past this, go back to them for support" (DS).

The winner is the quest that involves you finding a rebel/traitor of the Empire. You inject the person with a drug that makes him obey you and forgets everything else, the guy is completely drugged out.

Dark Side Choice: While drugged out, swift headshot with a blaster.

Light Side: Turn him in to the Empire, because that's very nice of you, sending him off to the Empire that is going to torture him pretty brutally.

To go a bit off topic, you see this kind of stupidity in anime and jrpgs quite a lot as well. In anime the main character is often just as delusional, refusing to kill because "it's wrong" no matter the consequences. It's ridiculous and one of the biggest flaws in anime.

Trooper Story:

I had problems with this one too. I sort of wondered if some of the writers might be anti-war types.

This did not make the trooper in me happy. :mad:

Hmmm, this does suggest a story line that might be interesting, though:

You are assigned to accompany a scouting group. After you are outside the camp the scouts suggest that you all should just hide in the bushes right outside of camp and radio in false reports. You can...

- Refuse. Giving you light side points and getting everyone in the group (except you) killed when your scouting party is ambushed.

- Refuse and attack the scouts. I'm not sure if this should give you light or dark points, maybe both.

- Accept a bribe to agree. Hutt points.

- Agree. Get dark points immediately and maybe more dark points when the enemy you should have warned the camp against attacks. Maybe give you an option to recoup your darkside points if you kill enough of the attackers or hold a choke point against them for a set period.

That would be fun, IMHO. :)