Reverse Engineering is terrible(awesome at first glance)

notatroll

im lvl 400 in artifice and i have RE'd reslove hilt 22 organge leathal crystal and enchancement 22 (forgot its name) and took roughly 5-10 tries to advance to green to blue and another 10-13 tries to go from blue to purple. except for the reslove hilt it took me 35-40 tries to get from blue to purple. these are the highest lvl for there respective catagories it is possible to get high lvl purples you just need patience.

I got 2 purple recipes from 1 stack ( 5 pieces ), but now I'm trying for the lower robe piece and I've been RE'ing stacks for almost 2 weeks now and nothing. Just depends how lucky you are I guess but yes just need patience.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think the system is fine as it is. It's rewarding when you finally do get the item your after.

This after having spent the last week RE about 20-30 blue ear pieces a day to get the right Artifact version.

I don't want an easy game, if that's what your after then there's plenty of other games out there. Or go play a single player game if you wish to be all mighty and have everything go your way.

Stop being lazy.

I'm a 400 cybertech and have successfully Reverse engineered purple mods, armouring and earpieces for myself, even a purple droid upgrade. It's a really good feeling to get that elusive feeling but it really doesn't offset the frustration of the previous attempts - unless you're incredibly lucky with a low number of attempts.

I don't like the current way this is implemented.

It's boring and annoying when you've sent your companions out to gather materials to be wasted on unsuccessful RE attempts, then when you do eventually get purples, send them out in the hope of getting the rare materials required which is also hit and miss.

Boring and annoying is probably not the adjectives Bioware had in mind for the game I'm sure.

There was probably a vision where someone like myself would start to produce items for the other players, either as guild gifts or for sale, I'm not sure I like the thought of going through RE for other classes where the return on investment would be so poor, high levelers get rewarded with blues so they're only interested in purples mostly.

As others have said, a cumulative chance based on the number of previous attempts would be a good solution, even if the chance is still limited.

I don't accept the complaints about the amount of credits though, I think more crafters should think about selling to other classes to get the credits rolling in. Low and mid levelers will still be interested in blue items sold at reasonable prices.

I must have RE'd more implants then the whole server could equip. Still only have 3 of the purple recipes i want.

Once i got one after 1 try (!)

Now i am on blue implant number 35 or so and no recipe....

It sucks biiig time but on the other hand it makes success all the sweeter and helps you sink some money :)

Two toons at 50 and been farming for pieces for weeks. I guess I get the "it's supposed to be hard" argument. Well, I get it right up until I see the dailies give you better gear than you can craft.

At this point I suspect I will have the better ear piece from the dallies on my alt before I get my first purple recipe (let alone the one I want). That off hand for my main? Well I can get the better one from HMs now and that's with running a hard mode every few days not farming them. It just doesn't make a lot of sense.

Yes I know the premise of crafting is to create a server where someone "may" have a recipe or schematic that someone else may not have, creating a competitive market, but in reality if I have that rare item I doubt I'm going to spend all day on crafting it when I "could" be playing.

Thats why you are not crafting things yourself but delegate your companions to do so. That way you can play when they are doing some items for you. When they finish you need to spend what, like 10 seconds to RE those items?

Besides those 10 seconds you can play as much as you want, and the way you like.

Edited by Zorpen

They did change these rates. It's not my imagination or bad luck. It's just plain stupid.

Then why have plenty of us seen no decrease in the amount of schems we get? Did they just lower your own personal rates?

Random. Luck. RNG. Probability.

I'll put it this way once again - if you win the lottery and then complain every time you don't win it, how seriously would anyone take your complaint?

For stuff that can be easily outdone with loot drops, the RE system does have a way too little chance to get a schematic. That's a design fault that needs to be corrected.

Why have I sold thousands of implants if they can be easily outdone with loot drops?

Having too little of a chance is your opinion, not a design fault. A design fault would suggest it was not purposely done.

Edited by Larkie

I just started reverse engineering today. I didn't even know that's how you got blues and purples. I think I've made 8 blues. Takes me between 3 and 15 items to get the blue recipe. So far it seems the lower level ones I get faster.

I decided to try and create a purple earpiece from reverse engineering the blue earpiece I just made. After about 12 times trying I realized I am tearing through mats and money for no result so in conclusion.

20 to 25 times is the maximum limit I will tolerate to create a purple.

I HAVE REVERSE ENGINEERED 212 OF THE SAME BLUE ITEM ONLY TO SEE "YOU HAVE ALREADY DISCOVERED THAT RECIPE" pop on the screen 20 times. I have all the other 4 researched - I understand that the CHANCE IS RANDOM - BUT DONT WASTE ALL MY CHANCES, THAT I GET ONE IN 30 IMPLANTS ANYWAY IF IM LUCKY, ON RECIPES THE GAME CAN'T FRIGGIN TELL THAT I ALREADY HAVE.

And if this is "working as intended" i'm gonna instantly UNSUB. This game requires more grinding than any other game

1. Random is random. More at 11

2. Play Everquest 1 pre-WoW and tell me this game has the most grinding. I dare you

As someone that can't stand crafting and who does it out of necessity, I recommend that this system be expanded to the rest of the game.

From now on, when I come upon a mob I want all information about it hidden. I don't want to see its name, hit points, no more champion/elite/strong/trash indication, ... nothing. Well... maybe just a color -- green, blue or purple. This is absolutely more realistic!

Once I attack the mob, I just want everything to be random like I pulled the lever on a slot machine in Vegas.

Do I hit? Do I live? Does the mob die?

Keep it all random and mysterious, because that is what makes playing FUN!

Think of how incredibly special it will make me feel that my victories and the boon that comes with them was decided purely by some unknown chance -- with only the feedback that I live or die. I will not have to make a single tactical or strategic decision ever!

PLEASE PLEASE Bioware, add this system to the combat system and the rest of the game. IT ROCKS!

Edited by EvilThug

I hated the crafting system when I first used it in beta, a number of months back now. I complained about the stupidity of it back then, even when all the ignorant masses kept telling me how awesome it is. Now you guys are stuck with it, while I laugh away. Honestly I refuse to take anything other than biochem, or gathering professions for pure profit. It's just not worth the time, and aggravation.

Maybe, when everyone stops using this worthless crafting system, Bioware will take note. Until then best of luck to you.

Could u please transfer to a man who designed absolutely random reverse engineer implants and earpieces with a hell of a mix stats, like power + accuracy + shiled rating in one item that supposed to be a dd one, that his idea is the biggest fail ever, especially taking in attention a fact, the an ending item from reverese engineer is absolutely unpredictable! I've reveresed about 150 implants, i got THREE purple ones but they have a list of stats which could be bought only by blind man who has problems with his mind, because that kind of stat mix is completely hilarious.

Why can't i chose an item i wish to get in reverese? Why on other hand those mods, hilts, barrels and enchancements crafters have ONLY ONE type of reverse engineer either blue and either purple item result, WHY biochems have THREE blues and FIVE epics? What the hell is that difference? How much time and resources should i spend to please that dunno... that's even worse than famous China random.

I hated the crafting system when I first used it in beta, a number of months back now. I complained about the stupidity of it back then, even when all the ignorant masses kept telling me how awesome it is. Now you guys are stuck with it, while I laugh away. Honestly I refuse to take anything other than biochem, or gathering professions for pure profit. It's just not worth the time, and aggravation.

Maybe, when everyone stops using this worthless crafting system, Bioware will take note. Until then best of luck to you.

that's stupidity, let it be random chance, but give us an opportunity to chose the result we want to get from RE, coz those stats that randomly proc MOST OF THE CRAPPY TIME are horrible and not suitable for anyone

As someone that can't stand crafting and who does it out of necessity, I recommend that this system be expanded to the rest of the game.

From now on, when I come upon a mob I want all information about it hidden. I don't want to see its name, hit points, no more champion/elite/strong/trash indication, ... nothing. Well... maybe just a color -- green, blue or purple. This is absolutely more realistic!

Once I attack the mob, I just want everything to be random like I pulled the lever on a slot machine in Vegas.

Do I hit? Do I live? Does the mob die?

Keep it all random and mysterious, because that is what makes playing FUN!

Think of how incredibly special it will make me feel that my victories and the boon that comes with them was decided purely by some unknown chance -- with only the feedback that I live or die. I will not have to make a single tactical or strategic decision ever!

PLEASE PLEASE Bioware, add this system to the combat system and the rest of the game. IT ROCKS!

Sometime irony is the best argument.

Thanks for this post. It made me laugh and cry at the same time

Think the system is fine as it is. It's rewarding when you finally do get the item your after.

This after having spent the last week RE about 20-30 blue ear pieces a day to get the right Artifact version.

I don't want an easy game, if that's what your after then there's plenty of other games out there. Or go play a single player game if you wish to be all mighty and have everything go your way.

Stop being lazy.

Yeah, because a system that consists of "Throw buckets of resources at RNG until it spits out what you want" is elite-mode.

No dedicated crafter on this or any thread is asking for 'e-z mode'. We want a crafting system. Right now we have a series of slot machines that you farm nodes, crew missions, hardmodes and ops to keep feeding until the RNG finally spits out whatever you were hoping for.

Quite a few of us that are thoroughly annoyed at having been repeatedly assured by several designing parties before release that the crafting system would be a dedicated crafters' dreamboat are feeling, very rightly, like we've been lied to.

This is not a dedicated crafter favoring system. This is a mindless fool's system that requires no and, in fact, does not benefit by the application of any, degree of intelligence; all you have to do is have nothing better or more interesting to do with your time than farm resources to throw at the RNG until it finally, be it soon or possibly never, spits out what you want.

Boy oh boy, this sure is fun. Yesiree Bob, this sure is 'hard'. Hardest part about it is enduring it. There's no challenge here, no planning, no strategizing, no reward what so ever for planning a careful course of action and building towards a goal.

Just farm and fling, farm and fling.

And don't be too hasty to accuse everyone with a complaint of being lazy. Objecting to foolish wastes of time != lazy.

1. Random is random. More at 11

2. Play Everquest 1 pre-WoW and tell me this game has the most grinding. I dare you

1: Random is really, really boring when it isn't frustrating and frustrating when it isn't boring.

2: No. Welcome to 2012 by the by, where most of us seem to know better than to just roll over and accept whatever we're handed even if we hate it. Moreover, 'I dare you' is about as motivating as being blustered at by a nine year old.

I'll accord you all the respect for position and opinion due a nine year old until you can demonstrate better discernment.

It feels like a grind because you're playing it like a grind. You're not supposed to be the end-game crafter that knows every single schematic. How would the market look if everybody else could get all the same schematics as you? I'll tell you how it would be, you would be complaining that everybody else has the same schematics and there is no market.

You should have taken advantage of the few end-game schematics that you got and profited off that instead. That 800,000 credit you spent would have probably net you a few million.

What reverse engineering really demonstrates in a tangible way is that while Bioware is freakin amazing at making really large and really awesome single player RP games.

Designing systems, which is what a mmo is, really isn't their strong point.

And its painfully obvious when you play the game.

The cities and planets look awesome. The dialogue and quests and companions and such are just out of this world fun.

But stuff that is a system, like crafting, is very rough around the edges.

- P

Edited by pahbi

You should have taken advantage of the few end-game schematics that you got and profited off that instead. That 800,000 credit you spent would have probably net you a few million.

I think you're missing the point. A single class is not going to have a widespread range of crafting skills because sensibly, everyone will pick something that benefits them the most. I've yet to see an Artificer/Smuggler.

I'm a gunslinger cybertech, I'm going to prioritise cunning mods/armouring/earpieces ahead of the others. My market is limited to non-cyber smugglers.

If I were to RE up to purple force wielder armour - no benefit to me or even my companions, how much resource/time would I have plied into it to get there? Do I charge huge prices to attempt to recoup my RE wastage or how many do I have to sell at lower prices to see an overall profit - maybe dozens.

When I have RE'd a purple aim earpiece for my commando buddy, his response was 'thanks, but I've picked one up as good as that on a daily.'

Seems like the best I can hope for to sell is that the wookie rustles up one with augment slot, how many attempts will that take?

yes, i used a lot of caps and the post is a pain to read. deal with it.

You suffer from your own stupidity.

You could have master crafted Fervor or Supremacy version and added surge augment to it instead, in the process sell all the "none" master crafted versions on the market.

As I said, you are suffering from your own stupidity.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.