origional

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Same.

I couldn't find a mouse that I really liked that had side buttons where I wanted them, so I just bound half the buttons on the Naga to Shift, and the other half to Alt and used them as modifiers.

This way, my fingers never had to go farther then one key away from ESDF (1-5, Q- T, A-G and Z-B) while allowing me access to 48 separate keybinds.

In fact one of the reasons I like my logitech is it has the little divot in the left side for your thumb to rest in, feels more natural to use.

This is a very helpful thread.

I'm in the same exact boat as the OP; I even use the sidewinder currently.

Looks like the Naga is getting the most votes. I'm worried about it's size. My hands are fairly big. Not giant, but I don't want to end up playing with my hand in the claw position. Is the Naga fairly comfortable for people like me with big mitts?

Looks like the Naga is getting the most votes. I'm worried about it's size. My hands are fairly big. Not giant, but I don't want to end up playing with my hand in the claw position. Is the Naga fairly comfortable for people like me with big mitts?

I would at least look at the G500, its quite a bit less and has 10 buttons.

Not sure if the RN has it or not, but the G-500 has on-the-fly dpi adjustments on the mouse.

The scroll wheel has two modes as well.

Edited by titanmike

There's a lot of Razer Naga love in here. I bought the Naga in March of 2010 and fell in love with it quickly. Unfortunately, like every other gaming mouse I've bought, it wore out within a year and had to be replaced. I got another Naga and so far it's fine but I am waiting on my tax refund so I can replace it with a SteelSeries Sensei.

I hate Razer due to their customer service (or lack thereof) and honestly will never buy another Razer product. I will never claim to not like the Naga, but I don't use any of the side buttons in SWTOR because the UI just doesn't work with the way I used the buttons in WoW. I just dislike the company enough to replace the mouse before it breaks rather than waiting for it to cost me thousands of credits in game by registering a single click as a double click. That has happened with ever Razer mouse I've owned after about a year. Unlike someone else's experience, I was asked to provide mountains of proof of when I bought the mouse to get an RMA to have my first one fixed.

Sorry for wall of text...but TLDR is: SteelSeries all the way. Their products are amazing and their support is the best.

I was thinking of buying a new gaming mouse but can't really find one that I think will be any better than what I have - microsoft sidewinder.

What I would like is one that has more buttons. Forgetting your left and right click as these are pretty tied up in game, the sidewinder gives you three to use.

What I like about the sidewinder is the positioning of the two side buttons, one above the other. Most others ive seen have them placed one in front of the other and it's far more awkward to move between the two and I suspect you'll probably end up pressing the furthest one back by accident quite often. The RAT series are certainly like this.

I looked at the new Razor with a how keypad of buttons but they also look to far back to be able to access effectively. Unfortunately no stores have them out to try.

The wow steelseries mouse looks like it could be of interest as it appears to have 3 or 4 buttons on the side, with 2 or 3 position horizontally - not exactly sure as from experience a button isnt necessarily a button on gaming mice these days. (example, 3 buttons on the sidewinder are just for dpi control)

I did think about the nostromo keypad as well, anyone with experience of that at all?

I have a razer naga which is what the new TOR razer mouse is modeled after, its awesome, 17 buttons. It completely changes how you play. i cant live without my naga.

I would at least look at the G500, its quite a bit less and have 10 buttons.

Not sure if the RN has it or not, but the G-500 has on-the-fly dpi adjustments on the mouse.

The scroll wheel has two modes as well.

Yeah I was looking at that on Newegg. What throws me about it is I can only see about 4 buttons where the thumb is. Where are the rest? With the Naga I can clearly see where the buttons are on the mouse; they're een numbered and glowing lol

Yep, the Naga can't be beat. Definitely takes getting used to at first but it soon becomes something you won't want to live without :D

^^What this person said.

I just got mine last Christmas. Now I wonder how I ever played MMOs without it.

One thing's certain. It turned me from a clicker into a sort of keybinder, making me quite efficient in battle. Can't wait to try it in pvp. >:)

So many jedi to kill, so little time...

Yeah I was looking at that on Newegg. What throws me about it is I can only see about 4 buttons where the thumb is. Where are the rest? With the Naga I can clearly see where the buttons are on the mouse; they're een numbered and glowing lol

4 side buttons, plus the two dpi adjustment buttons, each mouse button and the scroll wheel has 2 modes.

The mouse wheel clicks down, then has two modes, a normal clickly scroll and a free wheel.

Edit.

Two years, daily use.

No issues.

Edited by titanmike

I tried the SteelSeries WoW mouse (for WoW, of course). Hated it. Flimsy construction, poor button locations.

Have the Naga and love it. The button pad does have a slight learning curve, but the mouse comes with some temporary rubber stick-on pads so you can have raised surfaces on buttons to help you get used to thumb positioning. If you decide to use the Numpad setting, you may have to unbind whatever you currently have bound to NUMLOCK, as the buttons won't work when the NUMLOCK is off.

Tried the Nostromo, but I found it difficult to use in an MMO. Maybe I just chat too much, but switching from the Nostromo to keyboard to chat then back for combat was too awkward.

4 side buttons, plus the two dpi adjustment buttons, each mouse button and the scroll wheel has 2 modes.

The mouse wheel clicks down, then has two modes, a normal clickly scroll and a free wheel.

Edit.

Two years, daily use.

No issues.

Thanks for the response. I think I'm going to want more than 4 thumb buttons, so I might have to go with the Naga after all. I might have to go to Fry's and see if they have these on display so I can feel it before I buy it.

Using a G9 Logitech gaming mouse you get wild random camera angles like looking straight up from you back when some abilities are engaged.

Something in the SWTOR UI just makes mouse clicks think you are panning your mouse.

Edited by Metalmac

Naga won't work for you if you have big hands with a palms grip. Big hands pretty much need to use a claw or fingertip grip to be comfortable.

Got the Naga Epic for the right and the Nostromo for the left.. My goodness, where have I been? I can't believe I had been gaming all these years with out them!

So much easier.

I dropped my Nostromo For a Logitech G13. If you haven't tried one it's pretty impressive. I definitely like it a lot more than the Nostromo.

I had a Razer Mamba and it died 2 days after the warranty went out and Razer had no interest in helping me. I don't buy Razer products anymore.

I want to try a naga first as im not convinced I will be able to access all the buttons properly and it's pretty expensive, though online prices seem to be about £30 cheaper than store prices.

Trying a Naga out isn't enough as the minute you put your hand on it, reaching the buttons feels odd and unnatural. It's a mouse you have to practice with and train yourself to use. It's not easy, but it is an amazing tool once you get the hang of it.

Naga won't work for you if you have big hands with a palms grip. Big hands pretty much need to use a claw or fingertip grip to be comfortable.

Damn! Thank you for your response. That is very disapointing to hear. Looking like I might have to settle for the 4 side button mouse instead; better for me to have less functions than cramped hands.

I have small hands and the Naga is near perfect in my hand, but I've heard people with large hands say the same thing. I think it comes down to how you hold the mouse. I have a very weird grip I guess, and that's why I wear my mice out so quickly. My index and middle fingers done hit the L and R buttons in the "proper" spot, more at an angle and to the side so the mechanics just can't handle that abuse for so long. If you can play with one before you buy, I recommend it. Fortunately they are packaged in a way that you can kind of put your hand on it even if one is not on display. If by some freakish nature you lived near me I'd let you try my old Naga :p

It really is a comfortable mouse but for me the Sensai is even better. I won't really go into much on the original WoW mouse. That thing was GINORMOUS and just didn't work well with small hands. Definitely not the normal caliber of SteelSeries products.

Damn! Thank you for your response. That is very disapointing to hear. Looking like I might have to settle for the 4 side button mouse instead; better for me to have less functions than cramped hands.

I have big hands. It works fine for me. Then again That was not to boast just to say that it works.

I have pretty big hands and after swapping in the larger side piece (they have inserts to change the width of the mouse), I find the mouse very comfortable.

I also had a terrific experience w/ their customer support the one and only time I had to contact them.

I'm a big fan of Razer and the naga epic mouse.

I use the Logitech G700, it has been amazing so far. Definitely made with palm grip users in mind. There has been some issues binding a couple of buttons, but I hear you can overcome it with some macro sequences. Logitech is also known for their customer service, so if you encounter any problems, should get resolved quickly. Edited by Ashenic

Same.

I couldn't find a mouse that I really liked that had side buttons where I wanted them, so I just bound half the buttons on the Naga to Shift, and the other half to Alt and used them as modifiers.

This way, my fingers never had to go farther then one key away from ESDF (1-5, Q- T, A-G and Z-B) while allowing me access to 48 separate keybinds.

Similar to what i did, my thumb sits nicely on the number 5 - so I put each row to one modifier -

Top - ctrl

Centre - Shft

Bottom - Alt

I find it easier than trying to use the individual mouse buttons.

Naga Epic all the way.

I was a former Trackball user. After talking to some friends I decided I'd give the Razer Naga a try and talked my wife into buying me one for Christmas rationalizing the price since I could return it within the 30 days if I didn't like it.

I was worried about the fit to my hand and the buttons. And what with not being used to a regular ol' mouse I was a little trepid.

I found with the three custom pieces that come for the side that I was able to find one that fit my hand well and I enjoy. I also found that within a week (didn't even use the training pads that come with and they suggest you don't unless after a couple weeks you're still struggling) I was pro and it has made MMO's way easier and far more awesome.