Leave space combat alone!

loanstarr

I enjoy the current on rails minigame. If they add more freeform flight, I hope they keep the on rails scenarios IG for those of us who like them to enjoy.

The best way to vote on the current version of space is to use it if you like it, and don't if you hate it. I am VERY sure they are monitoring usage on all parts of the game. If tons of people are playing the Space Game (like me) they will keep putting more on rails content. If people aren't playing the current stuff, then they will spend resources to do something different.

Tasha

...the sound of reason and a good point. I would love to see what BW numbers are for ppl actively playing space combat. I'm betting it's very high and they are getting exactly what they envisioned the use to be.

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are not at end game obviously.

A free from space zone would add years to the life span of this game.

Its games that let you hone skills or set up complex character abilities that add depth to a game. At the moment this game is limited ot the shallow end of mmo gaming.

Comprised entirely of people who are so mad, they took time to post on a forum.

It skews your data. this is why Bioware has actual market research professionals to get them this information. The don't skim the forums and use bad reasoning.

Thats not true, if it was true then the polls would have shown a near 100% wanting better space combat, now wouldnt it?

no, these are the people who were already on the forum, the people who wanted to play the game or already were playing in the beta.

it wasnt some "angry mob" that joined the forums just to wail on space combat.

Comprised entirely of people who are so mad, they took time to post on a forum.

It skews your data. this is why Bioware has actual market research professionals to get them this information. The don't skim the forums and use bad reasoning.

Nope. This just don't follow from the above.

Look guys! Denial... it's not JUST a river in Egypt!

Give me hard data to support YOUR case.. and I'll concede. Give you a hint, it does not exsist.

...the sound of reason and a good point. I would love to see what BW numbers are for ppl actively playing space combat. I'm betting it's very high and they are getting exactly what they envisioned the use to be.

i just use it to lvl other than that i think it absolutely horrible . and i would never play it for fun.

so should i go ahead and buy a flight stick right now to play space combat?

I don´t know in what time-period you live but for the last 15-20 years almost all space flight sims were controlled by mouse and keyboard.

You really have to go back to Wing Commander or X-Wing times to find a game that required a joystick.

Take a look at Darkstar One or Tachyon or Freelancer or online games like the Battlestar Galactica browser game. They all had/have more or less simple controlling schemes with no extra hardware required.

Its games that let you hone skills or set up complex character abilities that add depth to a game. At the moment this game is limited ot the shallow end of mmo gaming.

This is totally off-topic, but I'd certainly have to disagree with you on that, at least regards to TOR. It's a story-driven MMO, so the main focus is the story, character development, and NPC interaction rather than the endgame content. I'm sure more endgame content will be added in the future, but I haven't ever considered it the focus of TOR.

However, you're right that expanding the Space Combat to be something more immersive, challenging, customisable, and social would add a considerable amount to the game.

Well that doesnt work either... i think the railshooter is a decent diversion, but its not what i want.

its like telling someone that they can either eat bread or they can eat fish when what they really want is a steak, and then saying "well most people ate the fish, so that must mean they like the fish"... yeah sure... i like fish better than bread, but i want steak.

MMmmm...steak....(drowls)

No matter how many times you say the forums represent a tiny minority, they are still a fair representation of the whole on such issues.

absolute nonsense, the forums are full of trolls, haters and saboteurs. Even developers have said that the forums are a tiny minority of the gaming population.

Folks, are we actually going to talk about the merits of both or just argue over who knows what the community wants?

I believe free form is a fantastic idea, but I also feel that having the OPTION to run the missions on rails should remain.

Flying the current mission in free form could be done by adding a similar map system that was in X-wing vs Tie fighter.

The boundaries already exist in game as well. You can see it when you get close to one of them and your turbo laser fire does not tavel as far. Ten seconds out of bounds and you fail the mission.

A floating waypoint to go to when you are done all objectives, to go into light speed and exit.

I don’t get people’s desire for BW to bolt on a flight simulator to this MMO. Why create a complete stand alone game inside one of a different genre? If I want a flight sim i’ll go buy one.

So why bring it up? It's was singleplayer and hold-left-mousebutton-for-6-minutes-minigame the last time I checked and I don't think they changed it since yesterday.

MMmmm...steak....(drowls)

im sorry, you cant have steak, that would mean having to teach the cook a whole new recepie and buying a whole new frying pan and stove (since you obviously cant make steak on the same stove and frying pan as fish).

You can still choose to eat bread if you dont feel that the fish tastes steak-y enough for you.

Just be happy we gave you a choice of fish in the first place.

Edited by OddballEasyEight

yes, kindof like how non-voters matter in elections.

ok so to use your analogy... (try to keep up with this one)

voters would be people who pay for bioware products

non-voters would be people who don't

u seem to think that voters are people who complain on the forums, which is cool... just wrong.

EDIT: if you are wondering, in your own analogy, forum complainers are kinda like radicals that go to radical party rallies and viciously hate other political ideologies

Edited by RobHouse

when BW put in spacecombat they had a vision for its use and i think they nailed it. It's just supposed to be a distraction that temporarily takes you away from character progression, that's all. No one knows how many ppl are queing up spacecombat everyday and enjoying it, so you cant say by what margin how many want sweeping changes.

James Ohlen already let this little tidbit out of the bag - Space Combat – We will continue to add missions to the space game. We also have a special project going on right now that will expand space gameplay in a significant way... for now the details will have to remain under wraps.

Sorry OP it seems they are already doing what you do not want them to do. I for one am glad that they are. I like the space game, but it could be so much better, apparently Bioware thinks so too.

Source

Edited by Baizak

im sorry, you cant have steak, that would mean having to teach the cook a whole new recepie and buying a whole new frying pan and stove (since you obviously cant make steak on the same stove and frying pan as fish).

You can still choose to eat bread if you dont feel that the fish tastes steak-y enough for you.

Just be happy we gave you a choice of fish in the first place.

Then i'll show *UNLIMITED POWAAAAAH!* to the chef's to give me steak gawddammit!

ok so to use your analogy... (try to keep up with this one)

voters would be people who pay for bioware products

non-voters would be people who don't

u seem to think that voters are people who complain on the forums, which is cool... just wrong.

no non voters are ppl that pay but dont use the forems get your analogy right.

Edited by madmarsh

Free movement flight simulators need not be complex at all.

Anyone here played or remember Freelancer? That game was mouse controlled, basically all they would really need to do is take the ships off their limited rails and keep the same controls they have. (I know, how the missions play out would have to be revamped, but control wise this works.)

Honestly, I would like to see a difference if possible. It's not a 100% necessity in my mind, but would be a very nice to have kind of thing.

Perhaps some class specific space missions as well. Bounty Hunters go after Bounties, the Smugglers fight past patrols, for example.

This!

You know what a free form flight sim ends up as when it's multiplayer--people doing endless circles/loops around each other. Since we're limited to frigates there won't be a chance to get bigger ships and modify playstyle, It will always be circles and loops.

In short, it's not fun.

You know what a free form flight sim ends up as when it's multiplayer--people doing endless circles/loops around each other. Since we're limited to frigates there won't be a chance to get bigger ships and modify playstyle, It will always be circles and loops.

In short, it's not fun.

i like flight games like that i play them all the time.

In short, it's not fun.

Honest question here but umm any perticular one you're referring to?

I also think with speed controll and group setting flying in circles would be less of an option.

Edited by Halacs