Its refreshing that there is no achivement system on this game.

HotSoupy

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, let's get this straight.

You can say that this game has achievements. Someone has pointed to the title references, which is a valid idea.

But what bioware DOESN'T do is give you thousands of meaningless achievements, and then give you another achievement for getting an abundant amount of said achievements.

WoW's achievements prove nothing. In fact, in follows the XBOX/PS3 achievement system to a T, and plenty of those are useless. I can see that people want to let people know that you killed the GIANT BOG MONSTER of XALADOOM. That's reasonable. What I don't want to know is that you spent 5 played days straight doing nothing but killing 5000 of his boglings to get the achievement "Bogling Genocide." This proves that you've done nothing useful with your life except talk on Vent with your buddies while mindlessly killing things for those past 5 played days (You probably could have learned conversational pidjin with that playing time, but who wants to learn that language?)

I can deal with a "TOMDICKHARRY has earned the 'Beat the Game on Easy/Medium/Hard mode award.' " I can't understand why TOMDICKHARRY must tell others that he's beaten each chapter of a game.

At least SWTOR allows you to wear a frilly tag that says you've accomplished something. Granted, you can go check someone else's achievements online with WoW.

LOTRO has taken the achievement idea differently and applied it as a bonus modifier. This makes hunting rats, bats, goblins, orcs, and even rogue packs of humans to extinction even more useful as it gives you an in-game bonus when you get this achievement.

So of all three LOTRO has the best results for achievements with in-game bonuses, followed by SWTOR for titles and no further achievements, and then WoW for . . . . achievements and then achievements for getting a lot of achievements (***, seriously?!?).

In the end, I'd like to also thank Bioware for not stuffing SWTOR with meaningless achievement notifications. I don't want to be told I've killed 250/500/1000 Wampas, and I certainly don't want the achievement of "Completed your first BH/JK/Sorc/someotherclass mission!"

Because they give points and you need points to win. The Codex is better to ignore because it just has to do with reading and nobody likes reading.

If nobody likes reading then by definition isn't your post meaningless as people have to read it? But as you say nobody likes to read so no one will read it anyways.

I realized how annoying it was to have some meaningless pop up, when i was expecting one and it didn't happen. Thank you, and please don't ruin this. you've(bioware/EA) got the potential for a good long run product here.

I personally hate not having an achievement system. I could give a crap less about what others are doing but it's nice for me to be able to reflect on when "I" accomplished something.

But I guess when you're not achieving much then there isn't much of a need to have something like that.