Camera Sensitivity is Out of Control

Wapner

In another thread I got some good suggestions for the Razer Naga

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=4034249#post4034249

This did help quite a bit.

I tried it out as well.

While it did help with some of the overall response, I'm still getting the mouselook acceleration that's waaay out of whack at times.

I can't play the game if I have my dpi set real low because I need to be able to quickly move the mouse around to target people/things/move inventory/send companions out on missions/etc/etc/etc. Having the mouse sensitivity (dpi) low JUST to counter an OCCASIONAL acceleration issue is just plain dumb. The problem continues to be that (like others, if I'm reading correctly) I will occasionally try to use the mouse to quickly spin around and do a 180 (something I do in other games literally all the time, because it's fun to do in mid air) and sometimes with the exact same mouse movement (from start to stop point) it will whip me around anywhere from 90º to 360º+. This is a problem with how SWTOR handles the mouse looking, point blank. In other games, whether they're FPS or other MMOs or other over-the-shoulder style games that don't have weird mouse acceleration I can accurately and constantly jump around doing -controlled- 360s or 720s. This is something I did all the time in WoW just for the hell of it to practice mouse precision and be in control of my character. I mained a hunter for a loooong time back when kiting was actually necessary. Jumping up, shooting behind you, and spinning back forward to keep running in the same direction you were going in SWTOR is just about as likely to happen as it is in real life - but this is a game. Give us control over our characters please.

I love SWTOR, it's an amazing game. But this is the single most frustrating aspect of any game I have ever played. I play with a lot of friends so one frustrating bug isn't enough to make me cry "AMG I'M CANCELLING", but come on Bioware. Give us an option to turn off the mouse acceleration to have raw input only. This is just ridiculous.

In an effort to help devs (ha, as if any have ever looked at this thread) figure out the problem: For ME the issue is primarily when I'm just finished left-clicking an enemy and I'm quickly trying to spin around to face them as they run by or turn. The game is taking the speed at which I was using my mouse directly before clicking the right mouse button and piling it all on at the start of the turn as soon as RMB is pressed.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was having the same problems and did some error and trial. Found out why the camera would spin so bad for me. My report rate on my mouse. I have a Logitech G500 and had my report rate set at 1000. Dropped it too 333 and BAM! Good to go! Was able too set my sensitivity back up on my mouse and in game. So if you have a mouse with a report rate that can be set, turn it down and see if it works.

Also, I was able too turn my DPI settings back up as well and it works even better.

:wea_03: Sith Just Got Real:wea_03:

Edited by Tallrinwars

• 3 weeks later...
Just tossing my dizzy hat in the pot. I'm using a Naga Epic mouse and have been having this issue for a long time. Only with the newest patch has it gotten much worse to the point that I don't even want to TRY PVP.

Hello, I would like to point you all to another thread about this. I am not sure if you people haven't seen this post yet. So I will put it up just incase. It has been going on for a long time now. Also there are some BW posts in there. They do know it is a problem, and are still trying to work on it. Also I made a post that it also happens in GW2 for me when I was in the beta weekend, it was actually way worse for me in GW2 then SWTOR.

Happy reading.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=62987&highlight=camera

Edited by swooper

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

the same problem!

[sPAM]

this is really amusing. i thought i would find a solution for this issue on the net but as i can see i can only add another compain (win 7, 2 different "ordinary" mouses with default mouse drivers, set to 0% as others and still too fast rotation) that game owner will neglect on purpose. they are either do not know how to fix this and probably not even reproduce (and thus they are trying to buy some time) or... somebody help me with other options, please :) oh yeah, they might to find it not critical to try to fix it. or... they do not think they might to inform users of current status on this one.

well i am going to bookmark this thread to laugh at amateurism in application of such scale (and to use it as an example). btw people did you check the Store? maybe you have to buy some specific item that will extend Settings even for Subscribers ;)

• 1 year later...

I didn't know they had Necromancers in Star Wars. ;)

(Resurrecting a 2 year old (2 year old) thread. )

Perhaps you could try the Repair option on the Launcher. (Small gear icon on lower left before you hit Play.)

Other than that, some configuration options in Preferences may be on a per-character basis, so check the camera options.

Edited by JediQuaker

• 3 months later...

Necro'ing for fix, test it out for yourself.

Fix here

Text:

A common technical problem with Star Wars: The Old Republic is that the mouse control for rotating the camera angle is very sensitive and if you are too accustomed to any other game sensitivity, you may be frustrated to keep finding yourself turned to the wrong direction by a “small” mouse movement.

Fortunately there is a way to fix it and it is similar to the procedure to increase the camera distance in Star Wars: The Old Republic.

To slow the camera rotation speed in Star Wars: The Old Republic open the file “[YourLoginName]_Account.ini” (look at the previous guide, increase the camera distance in Star Wars: The Old Republic), to find it) and change the following value:

Controls_CameraRotationSpeed = XXX.yyy

Personally I found the value of “0.075” a good match, but the value may vary for you.

The Location for the .ini file is (by default):

C:\Users\[YOUR COMPUTER NAME]\AppData\Local\SWTOR\swtor\settings

Edited by Amphibiac
to fix computer location for file

• 7 months later...
Forgive me if I missed it already being mentioned in the 29 pages of this thread, but that workaround for the INTENTIONAL camera movement speed is only a small part of the issue. I personally could be very flexible when it comes to how much I have to move the mouse to rotate the camera a CONSISTENT amount. The problem is that, regardless of what the rotation speed is set to (or how it's set), it seems to randomly spin at an extremely large multiple of that rate. Perhaps some sort of bugged attempt at "smoothing." It's good to have read that a patch somewhere temporarily fixed it (must have missed that one myself), but it was most definitely a problem every time I've played (including yesterday).

• 1 year later...

Yet to add to the necro.

Yes this is still a problem, the fixes i've tried here do not help as much as i'd like.

I can get it to a stable rotation speed, but it still randomly (Usually after using both movement keys and holding RMB to adjust camera while also using moves, as in PvP) goes 20x that speed and it isn't pretty.

It's painful and if anyone knows how to stop the random acceleration outside of the normal rotation speed that'd be great.

Im using

Controls_CameraRotationSpeed = 0.10000000149

and its actually smooth all the time. This random acceleration problem sounds like a different issue. Someone make a video of it please.

Been a known issue for quite some time. Here's one of the many videos on it.

I see it a couple times an hour.

edit: It was "fixed" many many patches ago but I never noticed any change.

Edited by dr_mike

• 1 year later...

LOL, I can't believe this hasn't been fixed. I played in closed beta all the way through a couple years after release, quit, and just now came back and I still had to do this hack.

SWTOR devs.....it's freaking mouse sensitivity. DUKE NUKEM 3D BACK IN THE MS-DOS DAYS HAD A WORKING MOUSE SENSITIVITY ADJUSTER! (Which didn't start off super-sensitive at the lowest setting and go up from there, that is.)