Will SwtoR run on my 47" 1080 phillips TV?

Dmartelli

we have convered this several times. we know display port is > hdmi. just like dual link dvi is > single link dvi OR hdmi.

and not EVERY tv in 2012 has a vga. the 4 high end 1080p in my house don't, not even my home theater projector has it.

If it does not have VGA then it must have DisplayPort or DVI, I hope. Otherwise not a good TV IMHO.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when are you going to realize that hdmi and dvi are the same damn thing. same thing internally. just different connector and hdmi carries audio.

Not the same. DVI supports higher resolutions than HDMI and thus will deliver a higer quality / crisper image from a PC than HDMI will.

You have me confused with someone else, never stated anything about 720. Again you have reading comprehension issues. VGA is old and DVI is the new standard, read a book.

Easy to do when everyone on the forums looks the same.

I never said that VGA was superior to DVI.

I said that a signal coming from a PC will display much crisper using a VGA connection when compared to HDMI.

If I had a choice between VGA or DVI, I would use DVI everytime.

I also said that DisplayPort is superior to HDMI in that it combines all the features of DVI with audio.

I guess you fail at reading comprehension as well. Go do your homework.

As long as your vid card support 1920 x 1080 resolution, AKA 1080p, then sure.

However do not use HDMI as the image will not be as clear as it could be.

Use a VGA cable with an Audio connection or use the DisplayPort connection if you have one.

I use my 55" Samsung like this sometimes.

Wow, this is prob the worst advice I have ever read in a forum. For starters, HDMI is loads better as it is pure digital vs VGA which is analog and has to be converted and is more subject to interference. A lot of TVs also won't go higher than certain resolutions for VGA. You can also go longer with HDMI cables and not experience as much of a loss. I currently output to my 46in TV using a 25ft HDMI cable and it looks pretty good. I still prefer playing on my monitor though as chat text is much easier to read.

I said that a signal coming from a PC will display much crisper using a VGA connection when compared to HDMI.

I have never, on any PC to TV connection, known this to be true. Converting the signal from digital to analog, and then back to digital (assuming a digital TV), is just not going to ever result in a "crisper" connection than an unconverted digital signal -- and that's before all the weirdness that can be caused by using an analog signal, like having the picture all shoved off to one side, and stuff like that.

I still say this is really bad advice. It doesn't even make sense logically.

Edited by Pink_Saber

Wow, this is prob the worst advice I have ever read in a forum. For starters, HDMI is loads better as it is pure digital vs VGA which is analog and has to be converted and is more subject to interference. A lot of TVs also won't go higher than certain resolutions for VGA. You can also go longer with HDMI cables and not experience as much of a loss. I currently output to my 46in TV using a 25ft HDMI cable and it looks pretty good. I still prefer playing on my monitor though as chat text is much easier to read.

Lol, you cant read chat cause HDMI is really designed for watching video and TV, not for data.

If your TV has a VGA connection for DVI, and you actually try them out, you will find that the image quality coming from a PC is superior.

Easy to do when everyone on the forums looks the same.

I never said that VGA was superior to DVI.

If I had a choice between VGA or DVI, I would use DVI everytime.

I also said that DisplayPort is superior to HDMI in that it combines all the features of DVI with audio.

I guess you fail at reading comprehension as well. Go do your homework.

I think you need to listen to yourself for a second. You have stated "in your experience its better", that is not FACTUAL data. "Your experience" is your own opinion and opinion isnt fact. If you think vga is better then you are entitled to that but as of this moment the consensus is that dvi/hdmi is better in quality, so understand you're going against the norm.

Its really only changing your monitor so as long as you can run max specs normally hooking it up to your tv is only going to be limited by max resolution on your tv. Mine runs just fine on my 55 inch led tv. Also I have no problem reading txt on my tv. Maybe my tv is smart enough to scale or something?:confused: I have experianced this on other tvs like my 42 inch when i played rift but not on my new tv. Samsung d5000 or some such Edited by AaronPenick

I have never, on any PC to TV connection, known this to be true. Converting the signal from digital to analog, and then back to digital (assuming a digital TV), is just not going to ever result in a "crisper" connection than an unconverted digital signal -- and that's before all the weirdness that can be caused by using an analog signal, like having the picture all shoved off to one side, and stuff like that.

I still say this is really bad advice. It doesn't even make sense logically.

Again, DERP, and I never said to convert a signal. If your PC only supports HDMI out then obviously that's what you use.

However if you have a choice to use either DVI or VGA, either of those will provide a crisper image than HDMI.

Not may fault you bought into all the BS from appliance makers.

I think you need to listen to yourself for a second. You have stated "in your experience its better", that is not FACTUAL data. "Your experience" is your own opinion and opinion isnt fact. If you think vga is better then you are entitled to that but as of this moment the consensus is that dvi/hdmi is better in quality, so understand you're going against the norm.

I have a portable PC that has HDMI out, VGA out and DisplayPort Out.

I have visually tested all three on several different TVs and with multiple people.

Every single time, DisplayPort > VGA > HDMI.

Test it for yourself DERP.

Edited by Quinlynn

I have visually tested all three on several different TVs and with multiple people.

Cant test it because i dont keep outdated garbage like yourself "DERP". Tinfoil hat on too tight?

Lol, you cant read chat cause HDMI is really designed for watching video and TV, not for data.

If your TV has a VGA connection for DVI, and you actually try them out, you will find that the image quality coming from a PC is superior.

Wow...

The chat display is not coming over as data bud...

A VGA connection for DVI? This makes no sense. VGA and DVI are two seperate connections.

HDMI and DVI are the same thing. That is why I am able to use a one inch, non electrical adapter to go between the two cables.

nononono lets get this straight.... dp >= dvi-dl > dvi >= hdmi > component >= vga > s-video >rca

Edited by Threefiddie