Will SwtoR run on my 47" 1080 phillips TV?

Dmartelli

No, I doubt you could run it. I wouldn't even try. Don't worry about it.

You see, your graphics card lacks the bits to interface with the TVs bits. Computers use bits that are mapped to 0 and 1. Whereas a TV uses bits that are mapped to 1 and 2. Attempting to connect your graphics card to the TV would cause the bits to collide in unexpected ways. In fact, the collision could cause physical ramifications.

If you are going to attempt it, then for god's sake, have a fire extinguisher on hand.

lol

/5char

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still don't. I have no idea why someone would recommend using a VGA cable over HDMI. That makes no sense to me.

It was a humorous shot at Samsung.

The only thing I can think is that he had a cheap cable that was running parallel to some 110AC or something vs. a decently thick, shielded and well-grounded VGA cable. There's a lot of very poor HDMI cable out there, unfortunately.

You see, your graphics card lacks the bits to interface with the TVs bits. Computers use bits that are mapped to 0 and 1. Whereas a TV uses bits that are mapped to 1 and 2. Attempting to connect your graphics card to the TV would cause the bits to collide in unexpected ways. In fact, the collision could cause physical ramifications.

If you are going to attempt it, then for god's sake, have a fire extinguisher on hand.

ya and split the universe into pieces

Well yea my question in reality was basically whether or not my video card and pc would be powerful enough to run a game like SwtoR on a 1080p Tv. It is hdmi supported and it is related to the game in the lines that the main reason i want to know is solely to play this game on the TV.

Size of display matters not?

Yep, I run it on my 60" TV all the time. The only real problem is that there's no UI scaling, so all the text is ridiculously small. It kinda sucks.

same i run it on my 100" screen sometimes with my projector at 11.5' back. Sometimes can be difficult but not to big of an issue.

1080 is 1080.

You do know there is almost no difference between a monitor and a TV these days, right? Basically a TV just has a remote, more menu options and a channel tuner. Display-wise, however, they are the same thing.

A digital receiver is essentially just a very stripped down computer.

I know this. The average monitor of today has crap resolution. That includes computer monitors which generally run 1920x1080, or 1920x1200.

We've been stuck on this resolution for far too long now.

As i said, TVs have crap resolution.

I think thats over-exaggerating alittle...i think the card will most likely work with the tv...

As long as your vid card support 1920 x 1080 resolution, AKA 1080p, then sure.

However do not use HDMI as the image will not be as clear as it could be.

Use a VGA cable with an Audio connection or use the DisplayPort connection if you have one.

I use my 55" Samsung like this sometimes.

The difference is in the bandwidth of the cable.

You will not notice a difference in picture quality.

misinformation. use hdmi. you cannot get 1080p with vga. only 720p

Misinformation upon misinformation. You can indeed get 1080p over a VGA cable, as I've done it with multiple computers and multiple televisions (47" LCD and 50" plasma)

There may be some TVs themselves that cannot handle 1080p coming in the VGA input.

A VGA cable and VGA port are different animals than VGA resolution too.

I have a 55" Sony Bravia 1080P and do all my PC gaming on it, looks great! Use HDMI for your hookup though.

But SWToR is crap on a TV atm with NO UI scaling. Seriously BAD idea now....I barely even play ToR since reading the stuff in my inventory and the gear on my toon, missions, etc etc is a real eye strain.

Most MMOs nowadays have UI scaling, but ToR doesn't, so for the moment I'd go with a monitor if you have one.

Eventually they will add UI scaling, but until then, it blows chunks tbh.

Should be alright. The FX CPUs are worse for gaming then the old phenoms (but not by much), I would see about overclocking it some more if your cooling can handle it. Get it to at least 4Ghz if you can. This game (and most mmos) rely heavily on the cpu for performance.

Graphics card should be fine. I'm running an older radeon 4870, and I play at 1080p just fine. Hell, I was running the high res textures that were back in beta at that res just fine.

The only issue you may run into with your TV with your radeon card is overscan. It needed to be disabled on my card and older radeons to get a proper 1080 resolution on a TV. Might not affect the newer cards, havent tried one to see.

TV's can be used easily, they just look like crap when compared to a quality monitor.

Depends on the brand of tv. El-cheapo vizio and garbage like that look terrible. Samsungs and LGs dont.

keep in mind most LCD tvs get their panels from either LG or Samsung, so for the most part the only major difference is in backlighting and input/output circuitry. Aka, driver board.

misinformation. use hdmi. you cannot get 1080p with vga. only 720p

LOL, you need to do your home work bub.

I run 1920 x 1080 through VGA no problem at all at it is a much cleaner crisper image than HDMI hands down. Only draw back to VGA cable is that their is no sound so that has to be hooked up seperately.

DisplayPort is even better and carries sound like HDMI.

DERP.

LOL, you need to do your home work bub.

I run 1920 x 1080 through VGA no problem at all at it is a much cleaner crisper image than HDMI hands down. Only draw back to VGA cable is that their is no sound so that has to be hooked up seperately.

DisplayPort is even better and carries sound like HDMI.

DERP.

even if you can. it's still an analog signal. but a tv will not let you do 1080 with vga as a "pc port"

also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Vector_Video_Standards2.svg

Edited by Threefiddie

Wat?

You'd rather use VGA than HDMI?!

Oh, I see your problem :9.

Test it for yourself. The VGA connection will provide a crisper image for a OS / PC interface.

HDMI does not handle the higher PC frequencies as well as they claim. Only advantage of the HDMI is that it also carries audio. Great for Video, not as good for PC.

DisplayPort is the newer connection type and will deliver the image quality for a PC as VGA does and with sound.