James Ohlen discusses the challenges of building a Star Wars MMO.

Hanni

lordy, I was just appreciatin how difficult it must be for all them fancy computer people to make this here show so darn tootin innertainin! I haven't had dis much fun watching a puppet show since 'ol Jeb got hisself drunk on moonshine and tried to do rocky horror pitture shew wit a sock and his momma lip color!

But, less be honest, dis here game got more bugs than a pile of Bessies cow plop.

ROFLMAO... Well put. :D

Who said that TOR offers no entertainment at all, I'm about pee my self from laughing.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This comment made me scratch my head a bit in confusion:

This game uses the Hero Engine, which they purchased from a third party, right? Maybe he's talking about the extent at which they had to modify the engine. If that's the case, though, I think we have different definitions of the term "from scratch".

They bough an unfinished product. Much of the features that the official Hero Engine has is probably much more different.

It's not a matter of agreeing with perception or opinions.

You take a few of the MMOs he refers to (in this case, WoW and Rift). You compare the features they have now which are considered standard in the industry. You check SWToR to see if they have them. It's that simple and that unbiased, and that latter seems difficult for you to get a handle on. You seem more interested in just flaming other posters.

I think most people understand those games you cite did not have those features also at launch. The forums are really a very small niche demographic. People here are mainly all the same. So you cannot just take feedback from a forum you have to get it from a lot of other places too.

Also I dont get how you think Rift is setting any standards. SWTOR outsold Rift's first month plus War's first month and AoC's first month COMBINED. So while in theory what you say sounds normal fact is Rift doesnt have anywhere near the subscribers this game has even with all the flaws.

Edited by Leggomy

Guys, you need to have a little respect:

"Ohlen: It's probably the most challenging project Bioware has ever done or that I have ever worked on. I would maybe call it the most challenging project ever published because the scope of the game is immense and we have so many different worlds and some of those worlds are huge. We have hundreds of thousands of lines of dialogue. We have tens of thousands of characters. There are hundreds of hours of gameplay. That's a lot of game creation you have to do. There are so many art assets, so many stories to write, so many voices to record, so many events to script. The other challenge was to live up to and push beyond the expectations that MMO games like World of WarCraft have created. Players aren't going to understand if you don't have industry standard features. It's been a big challenge making sure that we can put in all of those features into our game at game launch or shortly thereafter. Whenever you're building a game from scratch, which is the case with Star Wars: The Old Republic, we're not building off of some existing Bioware engine. We had to build a large engine, which is always a challenge. "

Respect for this. Wah wah, only several hours of gameplay per character. That doesn't mean the world isn't filled with hundreds and hundreds of hours of well-crafted and voice-acted content. To you, a mission is just - go access something, or just kill something. Take a step back and realize what went into the acting for that one mission, the different branches it could take depending on your responses, and everything else associated with it.

Go troll in trolling threads.

Cheers.

Blow 200 million, and still can't figure out why they can't kill WOW .

You be stretching a little in interviews too.

Hmm swtor sold almost as many boxes (physical boxes not digital copies) that first month than WoW sold copies of their BC expansion over the entire past year. I wouldnt start thinking swtor cant put a huge dent in WoW yet.

It's not a matter of agreeing with perception or opinions.

You take a few of the MMOs he refers to (in this case, WoW and Rift). You compare the features they have now which are considered standard in the industry. You check SWToR to see if they have them. It's that simple and that unbiased, but that latter part seems difficult for you to get a handle on. You seem more interested in just flaming other posters.

One, not sure how I'm flaming? countering your opinion with my opinion is not flaming , my initial post was more of a joke then anything its called a sense of humor look in to it, , again thats your prescription sir, two , wow (since you mentioned it) did not have lots of features at start there were added with patches and expansions , three, Rift might have had all the features you think are standard , but it did not keep it form getting boring very quickly to me at least , four , I like the the things the plan on adding in ToR in the near future , five i thought wants innovation not copy cat games?

Edited by Selaik

Look sir, trolls.

Nice interview though, unfortunately the forums are filled with the typical diehard QQ though it does seem to have at least died down some.

Once they fix the GTN, ability delay, and the UI problems(Which I don't honestly have) everything will be good.

Add-ons? Don't need em.

LFD? Don't need.

Macros? Don't need.

Hmm swtor sold almost as many boxes (physical boxes not digital copies) that first month than WoW sold copies of their BC expansion over the entire past year. I wouldnt start thinking swtor cant put a huge dent in WoW yet.

Box sales won't do it. Subscriptions will.

My money is on TOR denting WoW, but it'll be as shallow a dent as any other.

Guys, you need to have a little respect:

"Ohlen: It's probably the most challenging project Bioware has ever done or that I have ever worked on. I would maybe call it the most challenging project ever published because the scope of the game is immense and we have so many different worlds and some of those worlds are huge. We have hundreds of thousands of lines of dialogue. We have tens of thousands of characters. There are hundreds of hours of gameplay. That's a lot of game creation you have to do. There are so many art assets, so many stories to write, so many voices to record, so many events to script. The other challenge was to live up to and push beyond the expectations that MMO games like World of WarCraft have created. Players aren't going to understand if you don't have industry standard features. It's been a big challenge making sure that we can put in all of those features into our game at game launch or shortly thereafter. Whenever you're building a game from scratch, which is the case with Star Wars: The Old Republic, we're not building off of some existing Bioware engine. We had to build a large engine, which is always a challenge. "

Respect for this. Wah wah, only several hours of gameplay per character. That doesn't mean the world isn't filled with hundreds and hundreds of hours of well-crafted and voice-acted content. To you, a mission is just - go access something, or just kill something. Take a step back and realize what went into the acting for that one mission, the different branches it could take depending on your responses, and everything else associated with it.

Go troll in trolling threads.

Cheers.

over-reaching or overlooking and ending up spread too thin does not make it diligent.

Haha... Ohlen: I think that it's gone really well.

Typical corporate brainwashed BS. From other hand he can't tell either that things aren't looking so bright. So he has to feed some garbage to peoples.

Blame Bill Gates, he is father to all that. :D

I still remember "positive" article from brainwashed journalist, about how "good" Win95 was.

You got proof that it hasn't and not hyperbole or conjecture?

My guess is that they had a deadline for the 2011 Christmas shopping season, and they met that deadline. Many people bought the game and, if these forums are any indication, are still playing it or at least still interested. The new model seems to be: release on time regardless of problems/bugs, then fix them in patches. In that sense, I think they could reasonably call the game a success.

However, from an MMO perspective this game is still broken. Ability delay, faction imbalance, content at all levels, UI customization, and many other issues have yet to be addressed on live servers. I want the game to succeed -- as does everyone else here -- and I think we need to give them some grace. If they haven't made significant improvements within 2 - 3 months, I think it falls into the free-to-play bin. And that is bad for everyone, especially Bioware.

One, not sure how I'm flaming? countering your opinion with my opinion is not flaming , my initial post was more of a joke then anything its called a sense of humor look in to it, , again thats your prescription sir, two , wow (since you mentioned it) did not have lots of features at start there were added with patches and expansions , three, Rift might have had all the features you think are standard , but it did not keep it form getting boring very quickly to me at least , four , I like the the things the plan on adding in ToR in the near future , five i thought wants innovation not copy cat games?

Your definition of "industry standards", for some odd reason, seems to be based on what was standard 7 years ago, instead of today. Nobody (except you) cares about what WoW had for features 7 years ago. It's about what WoW offers for features today and matching them, today, especially if you intend to charge the same price as the competition.

People did want innovation, but the reality is there is very little of that here. So, instead, they logically feel that if you're going to copy another product, you better copy the good parts and not just the bad.

If Blizzard is good at one thing, it's taking existing ideas and improving upon them. At a bare minimum that's what people expected to see in this game: improvement on current systems across the board. Instead, may of the systems are mere shadows of what is offered in other MMOs. I can't blame players for being frustrated by that after waiting this long.

Edited by Apax

I think most people understand those games you cite did not have those features also at launch. The forums are really a very small niche demographic. People here are mainly all the same. So you cannot just take feedback from a forum you have to get it from a lot of other places too.

lemme translate, take out all them 5 dollar words:

Folks aint dumb. Well, most folks. Problem is, some folks dont no whats best for theyselves, and damned if those very same folk dont know when to shut their bloomin cakeholes.

So's when them devs ask what people want, all the learned talk gets kinda drowned out by all the hollerin. And damned if they priorties dont get all turned about.

on a side note, this ohlen feller is spinnin more yarns than my momma's momma. Probably got enough socks and blankets and whatnot by now to keep the whole state of alabama warm come wintertime.

People did want innovation, but the reality is there is very little of that here. So, instead, they logically feel that if you're going to copy another product, you better copy the good parts and not just the bad.

Spot on - do it first, or do it best.

I'd be much more encouraged about the prospects of this game if it sounded like the developers were playing the same game I was.

Really, I wish the game was designed in such a way that I didn't need a companion character to enjoy it. It was nice once, but it gets tiresome on my alts. The stories were spread too thin, and only exacerbated the need for a linear playing experience. The illusion of choice requires too much willingness from the players to accept that their decisions are effecting the outcome.

Your definition of "industry standards", for some odd reason, seems to be based on what was standard 7 years ago, instead of today. Nobody (except you) cares about what WoW had for features 7 years ago. It's about what WoW offers for features today and matching them, today, especially if you intend to charge the same price as the competition.

As discussed in the interview: Story, Choice, and Characters were what Bioware was going for when trying to differentiate itself from the rest of the MMO pack. BW has always been about those elements with their other games, so extending that talent into the MMO space where it's currently lacking made sense.

And they've succeeded with that in every way. All the reviews out there endlessly praise these aspects of the game.

Those aspects represent the innovation. Now they need to beef up some of the conventional systems like the Galactic Market mentioned and the UI customizability. They already pointed out that they're doing so in these coming months.

Slowly we'll see more features like this as they continually add more and more content.

This game is a big hit. I'm very excited to see what comes up in March.