Let's compare early WoW with early TOR

Leohat

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for the 1 millionth time....SWTOR is not competing with early WoW....it is competing with current WoW. The demise the SWTOR is due to them not seeing that now. This game will have 250-300k max at end of 2012.
They should have tried to compete against early WoW. They would have made a better game.

Instead they're competing head to head against Blizzard in releasing generic crap that a ten year old can clear easily.

I played WoW on release, and although it did have some bugs it didn't have nearly as many problems as SWTOR does. SWTOR problems include everything from light rays shooting through the world, becoming invincible in combat by dancing, glitching mana to have infinite healing, duping items in your mail box, all combat actions delayed by half a second, having high-res textures vanish, etc.

There is a difference between having some bugs and having a BROKEN, UNFINISHED GAME.

Warcraft's high rez textures vanished 7 years ago and haven't been seen since.

Proper grammar and punctuation would do wonders for the credibility of such posts. Just sayin'. :)

Thank you for your comment :) sadly for you, the MMO World are bigger than the UK, witch result in people from other countrys to make posts here.

Im willing to make another post in my native laungage, but im not sure you would get much out of it?

innovation means to take something current and make it better to make it seem if it is original.

creating something that hasnt been done before would be called a invention.

Fair enough. It was innovating in the fact that it took all the good ideas at the time and had them in release.

I love the people calling WoW's leveling linear when TOR is 100x more linear. Have you guys made an alt? SAME QUESTS except for the Story line. And even then you go to the SAME EXACT AREA FOR EVERYONE. This game has almost 0% replayabilitiy outside of class quests. Because I'll tell you listening to the same people with the same issues sucks. And for WoW not having a story line. It did, 99% of people were just to *********** lazy to read. Quest logs involved probably 4x as much text as there is in TOR.

Fair enough. It was innovating in the fact that it took all the good ideas at the time and had them in release.

PC World had an article back in 2009 that named the 20 Most Innovative Games of all time. WOW was #3. Here is the write up:

20 Games That Changed Gaming Forever

#3: World of Warcraft

Platform: PC

Year: 2004

Original review score: 4.5 out of 5 Stars

Blizzard Entertainment created an entire planet inside of a video game, and the result was a revolution. This online game was so game-changing that it instantly legitimized the entire genre of massively multiplayer online (MMO) games and, ultimately, earned a subscriber roster that outnumbers some European countries.

Why It Was Innovative:

How many games have been so addictive and engaging that entire subcultures are created around it? World of Warcraft was by no means the first MMO, but it was the game that perfected the rules and the experience, with a richly detailed, persistent universe for players to explore, and constant expansions ensuring that their characters would continue to grow and change as the game aged. Since the game's best treasures and biggest quests often required dozens of players to band together, WoW encouraged people to communicate both inside and outside the world of Azeroth, making the human element the secret heart of World of Warcraft

How many games have been so addictive and engaging that entire subcultures are created around it? World of Warcraft was by no means the first MMO, but it was the game that perfected the rules and the experience, with a richly detailed, persistent universe for players to explore, and constant expansions ensuring that their characters would continue to grow and change as the game aged. Since the game's best treasures and biggest quests often required dozens of players to band together, WoW encouraged people to communicate both inside and outside the world of Azeroth, making the human element the secret heart of World of Warcraft

I miss those epic quests, too. But now it's just abunch of single quests.

What happened to you, WoW? Why did we break up? *Inserts some sad Neil Diamond song*

ALL mmos need time to get better WoW just happen to be the MMO most forgiven its problems right now people are seeing the truth about WoW now and quitting the game and it is not even burn outs the raid content sucks and pvp is so bad it is almost at the level of vanilla right now blizzard gave clear signs cataclysm is a failure even their lead dev stepped down (ghost crawler)
Can you really envision SWTOR driving even a second wave of population growth/server expansions, let alone a third, fourth or more?

PC World had an article back in 2009 that named the 20 Most Innovative Games of all time. WOW was #3. Here is the write up:

20 Games That Changed Gaming Forever

#3: World of Warcraft

Platform: PC

Year: 2004

Original review score: 4.5 out of 5 Stars

Blizzard Entertainment created an entire planet inside of a video game, and the result was a revolution. This online game was so game-changing that it instantly legitimized the entire genre of massively multiplayer online (MMO) games and, ultimately, earned a subscriber roster that outnumbers some European countries.

Why It Was Innovative:

And this conflicts with what I said how?

did you not see 2 million people quit during cata? in 1 year alone... they are doing a conference call with blizzard soon to talk about how many people did they actually lose and their lead dev stepping down is actually a blessing to the game the guy was a moron and he made the game worst since wotlk.

cataclysm was a failure no matter how you look at it because it lost instead of gaining or maintaining.

first of all half the people that quit just plain got tired of wow which is understandable since its a old game. second i never said they didnt lose ppl i said its still heavily populated (theres a difference you know) and since swtor didnt gain enough subs to make thier money back in first month that means its a failure? wait dont answer that i know your answer already...

I love the people calling WoW's leveling linear when TOR is 100x more linear. Have you guys made an alt? SAME QUESTS except for the Story line. And even then you go to the SAME EXACT AREA FOR EVERYONE. This game has almost 0% replayabilitiy outside of class quests. Because I'll tell you listening to the same people with the same issues sucks. And for WoW not having a story line. It did, 99% of people were just to *********** lazy to read. Quest logs involved probably 4x as much text as there is in TOR.

so let me get this straight my leveling experience in WoW was much different than my main character i leveled?

last i checked i had the same quest later on class quest got completely removed from the game and tbc wotlk and cata was very linear.

WoW did have a storyline but none of mattered until the raids hell vanilla kinda didnt even make sense naxx in EPL...... when everybody knew it was in northrend.

dont bring up KT was suppose to come back stronger guess what blizzard copied and paste naxx into wotlk and he said the samething.

at the end of the day WoW is just as linear as swtor but atleast swtor has a class quest line to follow through.

honestly since leveling is fast in this game that gives this game alot more replay than WoW by far.

so let me get this straight my leveling experience in WoW was much different than my main character i leveled?

last i checked i had the same quest later on class quest got completely removed from the game and tbc wotlk and cata was very linear.

WoW did have a storyline but none of mattered until the raids hell vanilla kinda didnt even make sense naxx in EPL...... when everybody knew it was in northrend.

dont bring up KT was suppose to come back stronger guess what blizzard copied and paste naxx into wotlk and he said the samething.

at the end of the day WoW is just as linear as swtor but atleast swtor has a class quest line to follow through.

honestly since leveling is fast in this game that gives this game alot more replay than WoW by far.

Apparently, you missed the fact that WoW had multiple areas of content for the same level while leveling.

In fact, it's so linear that despite giving you the "option" of going to Nar Shardar first and Taris second, it actually bugs out if you are a Trooper.

Edited by Coramac

pretty much stopped reading after "First, WoW was not really very innovative". when wow first released it was one of the most innovative mmos in its time.

you stopped reading because the truth hurts. A prime example of wow stealing ideas shows itself in the fact they implemented power auras into their game and basically stole the addon for themselves. They do it all the time. Instead of posting "stopped reading" you should take a dose of the truth and deal with it.